Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Think a 2000 Stumpjumper M2 is worth buying?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Think a 2000 Stumpjumper M2 is worth buying?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-21, 01:43 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Originally Posted by bustaone
Thanks for the help Clubman! I have no idea how you swami'd into my computer and got that but that's cool.
It's a loophole that members can usurp when newbies try to upload. Pics go into a gallery we can access. Where's the drive side shots!
Clean looking bike.
Old 07-07-21, 02:20 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
The price is about right if the suspension fork, trigger shifter's and tires are good. All of which tend be issues of MTB's this age and can be very costly to replace.
Old 07-07-21, 04:43 PM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by bustaone
I started out looking for an e bike but they are all so expensive... My current bike isn't trail worthy anymore w/ brakes gone to crap and isn't worth the cost to get back into shape (2000 specialized rockhopper a1). I even installed new used xtr breakset and breaks got worse so I quit. When I bought my bike I was lusting after the stumpjumper m2 and stumpjumper s-works bikes and have wanted one ever since...

Local seller has a 2000 SJ M2 for $350 in good not great shape. This is dirt cheap compared to anything new and has the bonus of being super light in comparison to modern bikes. I've always liked that about my rockhopper, the whole bike weights 23-24 lb and was super fun to throw around back when I would do races. Now I want a light xc bike w/ front suspension that I can ride to work or take on some singletrack. Would I be better served looking in a more recent decade?

What would you do? Should I look a completely different direction? I also found a norco fluid lt for sale locally for $1k but I'm not familiar with these bikes like I was with the specialized.

Been a long time but I really want to get back on the trails.
Keep it steel and upgrade to this Specialized: https://www.ebay.com/itm/17476199083...0AAOSwAUFglpsi

I had a '92 S Works steel mountain bike and these were gorgeous frames.
Likes For tendency:
Old 07-07-21, 04:44 PM
bustaone

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
It's a loophole that members can usurp when newbies try to upload. Pics go into a gallery we can access. Where's the drive side shots!
Clean looking bike.
I tried but failed again...
Might be able to edit it into this post though.
Old 07-07-21, 04:52 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
boom. I'm not qualified to give opinions on suspension bikes.

Likes For clubman:
Old 07-07-21, 06:18 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Whoa, @bustaone did you say you paid $250 for that bike? Those parts alone are worth more than that. You did well! Even if you crack that frame, those parts would work well on another bike. Congrats and enjoy!