Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling Gloves and Padding

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-23, 09:53 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts

I need to replace my cycling half gloves and I am looking to maximize the padding in the palms. The goal here is to minimize vibration and every little bit helps (I guess). Suggestions?

Thanks.

dave
Old 08-17-23, 10:41 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
Suggestions?
Solve the problem rather than look for a better band-aid?

If you're looking to maximize padding, you probably have too much weight on your hands. If you have significant weight on your hands, your position probably needs work.
Old 08-17-23, 10:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I like the way Specialized Dual Gel gloves fit. But for long rides padding isn't helpful to me. I still find myself grabbing the gloves with less padding for all but the shortest of my rides.

I minimize vibration by just not holding onto the bars tightly. And I try not to use any of the back half of my palm next to my wrist. When in the drops I just curl my fingers around the bar and my palm doesn't touch at all. For me that really helps eliminate the road vibrations and bumps from pounding into me.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-17-23, 11:00 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi

If you're looking to maximize padding, you probably have too much weight on your hands. If you have significant weight on your hands, your position probably needs work.
He probably needs three different surgeries.

What is wrong with a band aid?
Old 08-17-23, 11:20 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Try this...

https://www.bikeforums.net/22900854-post5.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plu...l#post22900854
Old 08-17-23, 11:37 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

I have severe arthritis in my left shoulder and the vibration seems to be a culprit in my shoulder discomfort while riding. I am simply doing anything that I can (particularly things that are inexpensive and easy) to reduce that (whether it will be effective or not). And yes I have been to my orthopedic doctor, yes I have had a MRI, yes I have been through the PT route, yes I have been properly fitted to my bike, and so on.

dave
Likes For DaveLeeNC:
Old 08-17-23, 11:38 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
One thing to be aware of is that greater padding does not necessarily equal greater comfort. You can end up gripping harder because you feel less secure, and end up no better off. So, whatever you end up with, consciously relaxing your grip on the bars may help quite a bit.

In your case (I perused your other thread), doing everything you can to lighten the weight you put on your hands, as well as the other steps to reduce vibration, may be worth the effort. Ideally, you should be able to lift your hands off the bars while pedalling without falling forward, and you shouldn't have to push off them, either.

One other thing about padding - I use unpadded gloves now but I went through a bunch of padded gloves in the past and what I found was that SOME of them exacerbated the Carpal Tunnel problems I had from years of pipetting. In fact, one of the worst pairs supposedly had a channel to alleviate the pressure on the median nerve! Good luck!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-17-23, 12:35 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
You may also want to try adding gel pads under your bar tape or double wrapping your bars. There are also stems which have built in shock absorption which flex but not to the point of making it noticeable or unsafe.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-17-23, 12:56 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
The way I got relief from shoulder and neck issues is by changing my on bike position, including riser type stems with shorter reach, and either shallow drop bars, like Ritchey Beacon bar. And/or, something like the Soma Porteur bar. The closest I have to more traditional drops is a Pro LT Gravel bar, 103 drop and 65 reach with only 5 degrees of flare. That is set up so the top of the bar is slightly above the saddle height. Those changes have also taken a lot of stress off my arthritic thumbs. I cannot do low and long any more. I prefer non-padded, long finger gloves, and tape with a bit of cushioning, not real thick. Too much padding causes numbness in my hands.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 08-17-23, 02:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts

Some of us place real weight on our hands to get lower and more aero. For myself, a guy with lots of wind resistance and a small engine, such a position simply makes my cycling better, faster and more enjoyable, especially if I have to go upwind which is often the case with the rides I do. (When I do the work you suggest, I get looser, the bend forward gets easier, I push the stem down and end up happier with more weight on my hands.)

[QUOTE=Iride01;22987362]I like the way Specialized Dual Gel gloves fit. But for long rides padding isn't helpful to me. I still find myself grabbing the gloves with less padding for all but the shortest of my rides.

I minimize vibration by just not holding onto the bars tightly. And I try not to use any of the back half of my palm next to my wrist. When in the drops I just curl my fingers around the bar and my palm doesn't touch at all. For me that really helps eliminate the road vibrations and bumps from pounding into me.[/QUOTE]

I don't do that second sentence consciously but I do ride in hand positions where my palms are facing each other and contact with the bars is on the outside of my palm's little finger side. Poor roads I spend a of of time in the drops.

A trick that was stressed by my early mentors when I started to race - firm grip on the bars but not an iron one. And keep my arms loose so there is no direct transmission of shock from bars to body.

I am another who chooses lightly padded (or no padding) gloves but I double wrap my handlebars to bring the diameter up a touch.
Old 08-18-23, 02:51 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts

This...Once I got my fit worked out, I found padded gloves were not needed

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 08-19-23, 04:58 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
I agree with the original poster's point - padding in gloves can reduce the vibration feel in your hands.

The two suggestions that addressed that point - gel gloves and cushier bar tape - are what I did over the years, pretty much in that order. Then on a long ride I forgot to bring my gloves and found that the cushy bar tape had pretty much solved the problem, really didn't need to gel gloves. But, the back of the gloves is still a useful brow wiper and out of habit I still wear them. I've also bought into liking a high vis color on my hands for road riding.

My favorite (from a fit and durability point of view) have been Peal Izumi Elite Gel gloves.

I used to put on the cheapest bar tape and went to cork/gel bar tape - the added cost is almost as much over the life of the tape as a pair of gloves, but in any case: as a percentage of the cost of the bike, not a major investment!
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 08-19-23, 07:26 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 411 Posts
When rheumatoid was joined by osteo in my hands I took on all of the good input mentioned above in addressing the issue. I believe addressing the bars as rsbob's suggested gave the the most relief of all I worked on.
Old 08-20-23, 09:22 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I like a think handlebar tape (I'm using zipp service course cx) and a glove with lots of padding (I'm using performance terry).

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-20-23, 11:54 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
I have noticed a lot of racers are not wearing gloves.
Old 08-20-23, 02:41 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
I have severe arthritis in my left shoulder and the vibration seems to be a culprit in my shoulder discomfort while riding. I am simply doing anything that I can (particularly things that are inexpensive and easy) to reduce that (whether it will be effective or not). And yes I have been to my orthopedic doctor, yes I have had a MRI, yes I have been through the PT route, yes I have been properly fitted to my bike, and so on.

dave
What's your tire inflation? If it's too high, that's going to have a couple orders of magnitude more effect than glove padding.
Old 08-20-23, 04:21 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
I have noticed a lot of racers are not wearing gloves.
I find when my hands sweat they get real slippery on the bar tape (cork) without gloves. They must be using a different composition of tape than I am.
Old 08-20-23, 04:58 PM
DaveLeeNC

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
What's your tire inflation? If it's too high, that's going to have a couple orders of magnitude more effect than glove padding.
I am running 25mm tires on both my Bianchi and Emonda. The Emonda could go up to 28mm (depending on the tire) but no way WRT the Bianchi. My raw weight is around 165 these days (a bit too heavy but ...) and 75/80 pounds is as low as I care to go on these tires and the road surfaces that I ride on (country road asphalt in varying degrees of maintenance). The tires on my current bikes have over 50% life left and I have four still in the box Conti 5000's sitting on the shelf. So that experiment is not 'next on the list'. Latex tubes - different story.

dave
Old 08-21-23, 09:45 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
I'm another vote for checking the overall bike fit - rather than adding more padding.
I have pretty much stopped wearing gloves for summer road riding. I started going gloveless earlier this year and find that the padding in gloves doesn't seem to do anything. I don't have any problems gripping my bars or hoods with bare hands.
Old 08-22-23, 01:19 PM
DaveLeeNC

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'm another vote for checking the overall bike fit - rather than adding more padding.
I have pretty much stopped wearing gloves for summer road riding. I started going gloveless earlier this year and find that the padding in gloves doesn't seem to do anything. I don't have any problems gripping my bars or hoods with bare hands.
FWIW, this is not a bike problem (or fit problem or even cycling problem). This is a well diagnosed shoulder problem and, from my perspective, is a "all hands on deck problem". If better padded gloves help (they literally saved my outdoor riding when I was having wrist issues a few years back) then better padded gloves it is. If a fit change helps - then I will go for it (within reason). Tires, wheels, etc., same thing. This is not going away and in the best conceivable case will simply not get worse (and that outcome is actually unlikely) and I will find some band aids that are helpful and keep me riding longer than otherwise. .

dave
Old 08-24-23, 12:28 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
FWIW, this is not a bike problem (or fit problem or even cycling problem). This is a well diagnosed shoulder problem and, from my perspective, is a "all hands on deck problem". If better padded gloves help (they literally saved my outdoor riding when I was having wrist issues a few years back) then better padded gloves it is. If a fit change helps - then I will go for it (within reason). Tires, wheels, etc., same thing. This is not going away and in the best conceivable case will simply not get worse (and that outcome is actually unlikely) and I will find some band aids that are helpful and keep me riding longer than otherwise. .

dave
Your wrists and your elbow are between the bars and your problematic shoulder; none of those joints should be bearing much weight. If there's enough rigidity through your arms, such that jolts transmit through the two sets of buffer joints and still discomfort your shoulder, what hope is there that 2mm more padding on your palms will alleviate the problem?

I know that you've said that you've been fit. Evidence suggests that the fit wasn't a very good one. I'd recommend revisiting fit -> adopting a less aggressive position -> and, if all else fails, looking at a 'bent (sorry ).
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-24-23, 01:57 PM
DaveLeeNC

Your wrists and your elbow are between the bars and your problematic shoulder; none of those joints should be bearing much weight. If there's enough rigidity through your arms, such that jolts transmit through the two sets of buffer joints and still discomfort your shoulder, what hope is there that 2mm more padding on your palms will alleviate the problem?

I know that you've said that you've been fit. Evidence suggests that the fit wasn't a very good one. I'd recommend revisiting fit -> adopting a less aggressive position -> and, if all else fails, looking at a 'bent (sorry ).
I do not know if this will be helpful or not. But it is tied for first place WRT cost (of various possible solutions) and by far the easiest to implement. So I am going to give this a try.

Shoulder surgery (full shoulder replacement in my case) vs. a recumbent-type solution. Now there is an interesting decision.

dave
Old 08-30-23, 11:38 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Time for a recumbent.
Old 09-06-23, 12:05 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 173 Posts
Happen to like Pearl Izumi, who have various padding scheme options and a snug fit that doesn't fold to cause blisters. Sizing runs a little small, if ordering on line. Men's large are pretty tight on me, at least when they're new.

Good luck!
Old 09-06-23, 07:10 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
I mostly wear padded gloves of various manufacture, but for really long rides, I prefer unpadded gloves. I think that might be because they're not as sweaty? As has been said, hand comfort is all about position and the location of the bars and hoods. I find increasing reach by a few cm. can help decreasing the vibration's force on the hands, simply because the arms are more hinged, it that makes any sense to you. That's assuming that your position already takes the weight off your hands. If your hands are pushing down on the bars, vibration will be more noticeable. They should be light on the bars. Look at the photos in the Numb Hands post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.