Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Getting Rid of the Backpack

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-23, 02:12 PM
ericlowney 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 22 Posts

As the title suggests - I'm looking into some options to ditch my Chrome backpack for commuting and looking for advice for some bags. Some days I can bring a minimal amount of stuff (wallet, phone, etc.) that i can fit either in my saddle bag or in a top tube frame bag. The harder situation is when I need to carry a larger amount of stuff such as - wallet, phone, a 14" laptop, an A4 calendar/planner, socks/underwear, and lunch. I tried panniers and hated them, I honestly may get rid of the rear rack entirely. Now I am considering carradice or berthoud bags, either saddle or handlebar (which would require a Nitto 18M front rack). What are you folks using that causes minimal wind resistance, is easy to remove and install at work, and can hold the above items? For Carradice I was looking at either the Nelson Longflap or the Camper Longflap (simply due to the size of the laptop) and for the Berthoud I was looking at the GB 28. To be perfectly honest I'm leaning towards Carradice mostly to keep things English on the bike... Laptop is 12.75" wide and 8.5" heigh. Thanks in advance for any thoughts/input!

Last edited by ericlowney; 10-09-23 at 02:14 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 10-09-23, 03:38 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I used a Knog convertible bag on my commuter bike for almost 10 years. It was basically a heavy cloth messenger bag with a removable attachment that would allow it to clip to the bike. Reality though is the attachment was always on.

You have a rack already and detachable panniers are readily available. I'd have to ask why having a front rack for a bag that needs it is better than a back bag on something you already have. What is it about panniers you hated?

The bike rack I've used for 30 years was actually the rack that came with the baby carrier that clipped into it. The baby now is a pilot for Delta.
Old 10-09-23, 03:50 PM
ericlowney 

Originally Posted by zacster
I used a Knog convertible bag on my commuter bike for almost 10 years. It was basically a heavy cloth messenger bag with a removable attachment that would allow it to clip to the bike. Reality though is the attachment was always on.

You have a rack already and detachable panniers are readily available. I'd have to ask why having a front rack for a bag that needs it is better than a back bag on something you already have. What is it about panniers you hated?

The bike rack I've used for 30 years was actually the rack that came with the baby carrier that clipped into it. The baby now is a pilot for Delta.
I bought some cheap panniers off of Amazon (maybe my mistake) that felt like sails when I commuted with them on. Average 2mph decrease on the commute from them. Also, I have large feet/shoes and I really had to be mindful how to load them not to strike them with my heels. Lastly, taking them off when I got to work and putting them back on the bike at the end of the day was a crappy process that took a while, and if I didn’t take my time to do it then the straps from the panniers would hit the spokes or shift during the trip home. The front bag seems the quickest/easiest for off/on (especially for grocery store/errand runs) which is why I was considering that
Old 10-09-23, 08:44 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
I agree with the above reply.

A bad rack can slow down a bike by more than just its weight along.

Different brands of racks give different smptoms to the bike.

The lightest rack does not mean its the best one.

I've come across and tried almost every brand/kind/type of rack out there, my favorites for ones that make me and my bike speedy are racks made by Axiom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
streamliner-road-dlx-1.jpg (132.4 KB, 183 views)
Old 10-10-23, 03:45 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
I use Carradice bag and I love it! They are pricey but they last a lifetime.
Old 10-10-23, 05:51 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I rack my pack. I simply run bungee cords from the seatpost to the back of the rack and sit the backpack between them. Then I use d-clips to secure it Some backpacks have straps with snap-buckles on the sides so no d-clips needed. The bag sits behind you in your slip stream. Very aero.
Old 10-10-23, 06:01 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
2000 Mile a Month Set up. Seat Post Rack.

Old 10-10-23, 06:04 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
that Axiom rack is neat! I've not seen anything like it before.
Old 10-10-23, 12:49 PM
Trueblood

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
that Axiom rack is neat! I've not seen anything like it before.
I am a fan of the Tortec Velocity for minimalist racks. There is a discussion here starting at about message #12 - https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...f-pannier.html
Likes For Trueblood:
Old 10-11-23, 07:15 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Lately, I’ve been using a Carradice Barley for clothes and papers and an Acorn Rando bag in the front for my lunch, glasses and A5. I’m going back to the back pack because it’s easier to pack everything together in one package to and from the bike. I also miss how the bike handles without the weight—especially in the front (and my bike is low trail). And my classroom is on the second floor now and with the luggage on the bike, it’s a little heavy. For several years, I crammed everything into the Barley and really didn’t notice the weight or wind. Get a Carradice with a long flap.
Old 10-11-23, 07:18 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
You say you didn't like panniers... What brand panniers did you not like? I have had some that really sucked, but the Ortliebs I have now are really good.

Originally Posted by ericlowney
As the title suggests - I'm looking into some options to ditch my Chrome backpack for commuting and looking for advice for some bags. Some days I can bring a minimal amount of stuff (wallet, phone, etc.) that i can fit either in my saddle bag or in a top tube frame bag. The harder situation is when I need to carry a larger amount of stuff such as - wallet, phone, a 14" laptop, an A4 calendar/planner, socks/underwear, and lunch. I tried panniers and hated them, I honestly may get rid of the rear rack entirely. Now I am considering carradice or berthoud bags, either saddle or handlebar (which would require a Nitto 18M front rack). What are you folks using that causes minimal wind resistance, is easy to remove and install at work, and can hold the above items? For Carradice I was looking at either the Nelson Longflap or the Camper Longflap (simply due to the size of the laptop) and for the Berthoud I was looking at the GB 28. To be perfectly honest I'm leaning towards Carradice mostly to keep things English on the bike... Laptop is 12.75" wide and 8.5" heigh. Thanks in advance for any thoughts/input!
Likes For timdow:
Old 10-11-23, 07:30 AM
ericlowney 

Originally Posted by timdow
You say you didn't like panniers... What brand panniers did you not like? I have had some that really sucked, but the Ortliebs I have now are really good.
I bought the Dreamoon 50L Panniers from Amazon. A real pain to install, remove, wind resistance was incredible, etc. Maybe because they were large/cheap, but they also have lot more space for stuff than I realistically need to carry for the day. I also bought those panniers before I had a place to leave all my clothes at work so I needed more space than I do now since I was carrying pants, shirt, belt, shoes, etc.
Old 10-11-23, 07:52 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

My opinion based on years of commuting and after trying many different bag options is that panniers are the best solution for commuting. I highly recommend you try Ortliebs (or even 1 pannier as some are sold individually). They don't suck. Easy on/off, very secure. if you go this route, and want/need a shoulder strap make sure you get a model with it. Most have it, but there are a few that don't. Not cheap, but a near lifetime purchase.

EDIT: Let me qualify that.... Panniers are best if you have a load to carry as you do. I use an insulated rack bag in the Summer when I only have to carry a lunch.

Originally Posted by ericlowney
I bought the Dreamoon 50L Panniers from Amazon. A real pain to install, remove, wind resistance was incredible, etc. Maybe because they were large/cheap, but they also have lot more space for stuff than I realistically need to carry for the day. I also bought those panniers before I had a place to leave all my clothes at work so I needed more space than I do now since I was carrying pants, shirt, belt, shoes, etc.
Old 10-11-23, 03:55 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Yeah, it's your panniers; they're way too big for what you want. If you want to stick with Amazon, Tourbon makes some nice-looking bags and panniers, like this canvas rolltop; or this leather laptop bag (maybe not, but it sure looks cool). Or this nylon one.

Roswheel is pretty good too; this 12 liter bag might work; notice it's narrower at the bottom, so less heel strike, and it even folds up! This 20 liter one might be a bit large, but it's waterproof. If necessary, I think you could attach it further back on your rack.

Why yes, I do like window shopping for bike stuff. Oh, and here's Axiom's site, if you're interested. Not exactly stylish, but excellent quality. I got a lightly used pair of Axiom panniers for stoopid cheap, and they're great.
Likes For Korina:
Old 10-12-23, 06:26 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Excuse me while I climb up on my soapbox here......

While trying to save money, I tried Blackburn, Axiom, and Performance Bike's house brand of panniers, all with about the same experience (not great). Then I bought Ortlieb's, and haven't had to consider any other pannier since. If I just would have not tried to "cheap out" and bought the "good ones" up front, I would have saved myself much time and money. If the cost is an issue, and you don't mind waiting to save some $$$, they show up used on CL occasionally.
Old 10-12-23, 08:35 AM
ericlowney 

I did some more research last night and I found that the Carradice Cadet will fit both on my saddle with the quick release bagman support and it also should squeeze between my handlebars as an extra option if I needed to really haul a lot of stuff. It's just barely wide/tall enough for the laptop, but deep enough I should have plenty of space for everything else (I think). So I'm going to start there. Bonus points that it's English and will match my Dawes well. I think you are both right in that I bought the 'wrong' panniers. For the price of the rear rack and the cheap panniers I could have just bought the Carradice and support from the beginning, but I was carrying a LOT more stuff back then also. I could also get Carradice panniers that would match the saddle bag later on also. I'm hoping since the width of the Cadet is smaller than the width of my handlebars there will be basically 0 added resistance, but I can keep you all posted if you are interested on how it works out. I couldn't find too much info on these bags (seems like most folks run a Nelson Longflap or Camper Longflap).
Likes For ericlowney:
Old 10-12-23, 02:25 PM
BtheChemist
Daily Cyclist

Bikes: 2022 Rodeo Labs Flaanimal 5 Ti, 2016 Niner RLT9 Steel, 2017 Scott Big Jon, Ican carbon Basket town bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rando Rack and Swift Industries zeitgeist bag

Get yourself a randonneuring rack and a swift industries Zeitgeist bag. That thing will hold so much stuff, its amazing.
Likes For BtheChemist:
Old 10-12-23, 07:48 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
@ericlowney, definitely show us pics when you get everything installed.

At least you can sell the rack and bags. Or keep them for longer/grocery trips.
Likes For Korina:
Old 10-12-23, 08:12 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
I have two solutions depending on weather and amount of gear.

I use a convertible bag from twowheelgear attached to my rear rack. Their attachment mechanism is pretty quick on and off. From their website I don't see my exact bag; the closest is their messenger backpack.
https://twowheelgear.com/products/ma...enger-backpack

The alternative is a minimalist backpack, that's basically a simple fabric bag with cords for shoulder straps something like this.
https://www.randonneurs.bc.ca/pbp/ph...istration.html
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-17-23, 03:00 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I put my backpack in the basket which is mounted on my rear rack. I secure the bag to the basket with a bungee or two, though I probably don't need to.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-18-23, 11:29 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Never heard of any of those brands and you didn't provide links; I'm not going to spend my time looking them up.

I use a simple Patagonia messenger bag I got as a previous year's model from ebay. What I like about it is that it has the anti-rotation strap that keeps it from coming around. I wear it low, so I don't have the sweaty back issue that backpacks always have. When I get off the bike, the anti-rotation strap snaps into its mating buckle and stays out of the way.
Old 10-18-23, 12:38 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
currently a fan of Topeak brand locking slide on style racks & trunks. fast & convenient. the unit I bought had fold out bags in the side pockets, so I just cut them out & now I have side pockets. they come in diff. sizes

no more fussing w/ velcro straps or bungee cords

fair disclosure, I still use bungee cords, but only to hold camera gear on top of the trunk or a beach towel

I like the setup so much I changed the racks on all 3 of my bikes, so I can use my trunk on any of them

the locking mechanism

this shows the channel that the trunk slides into

the trunk has a handle, so I just slide it out & walk away, carrying it w/ the handle
Old 10-29-23, 02:29 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
For laptops I use a pannier bag on a rear rack. I use the Axiom rear rack shown above and over the years have used a few different pannier bags. Just look for one that's big enough for what you need to carry and attaches securely (eg, Ortlieb style). I've lost a Banjo Bros pannier bag (along with my laptop inside it) to a particularly rough pothole some years ago and have since switched to an Ortlieb-style mounting pannier bag.
Old 10-29-23, 05:10 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
…... I secure the bag to the basket with a bungee or two, though I probably don't need to.
You have experience.
Old 10-30-23, 03:47 PM
ericlowney 

Well I opted for the Carradice Cadet - it was the smallest bag that I thought I could reasonably fit my laptop in. Tonight was my first ride with it installed and loaded, just a quick grocery run, but so far I am VERY happy with this bag. I think it fit a surprising amount of groceries in it and it's slightly narrower than my handlebars (so if my bars can fit through, so can the bag). I'll be commuting in with it this week and am excited to not have a bag on my back!

Likes For ericlowney: