Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What do you wear in 50-55 degree weather?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What do you wear in 50-55 degree weather?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-15, 03:37 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Regular bibs and jersey, plus armwarmers and kneewarmers, if I'm dressing for a long ride. If I'm just riding directly into work, I'll just wear regular dress pants and button down shirt. 50-55 F is perfect riding weather in my opinion.
Old 10-06-15, 03:39 PM
lost_in_endicot

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
You have the right idea. I wear shorts until about the mid 30's. It was 47°F this morning, and I wore my usual with a long sleeve jersey. I was pretty cold when I got to the bottom of my hill, but warmed up nicely after that.
Old 10-06-15, 04:03 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
This is starting to get to be the time of year when I start bringing more layers to account for the temperature changes that might happen during the day. Another thin layer or two can make a big change in how comfortable I am and doesn't take up much space.
Old 10-06-15, 04:12 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
For riding in 50-55 degree weather I wear the following:

-Running shoes
-Adidas track pants
-Under Armour sleeveless top
-Adidas fleece hoodie
-cycling hat
-half finger leather gloves
-If it's windy and raining, I will add merino wool base layer and fleece gloves.
Old 10-06-15, 04:20 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by snow_echo_NY
ok you guys are the best. after reading everyone's responses, i'm gonna switch back to shorts (i've been bringing shorts with me to commute home, b/c the temps rise 10 degrees here for the afternoon ride, usually 65 when i go home - so i'll just wear them the entire time) and just use arm warmers. maybe switch out to thinner mesh gloves.

hoping i get this right tomorrow!
Don't feel ashamed if you end up needing to wear a little more than us dudes to stay warm.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-06-15, 05:56 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Generally I target being cold for the first 15 min or so. On chilly mornings it sometimes takes me 30 min to get warm. There isn't a big downside to wearing an extra layer, you just sweat a little more.
This. You can't avoid warming up; so either plan to shed a layer, or be cold for a little bit.

It can get down into the 30s overnight in the winter in San Diego, but this morning it was probably around 50-55. (Two days ago probably low of 70). This morning was my first time this season wearing an athletic pullover (single layer of fabric with a little 'quilting') on top of my usual tech tee. As always, athletic shorts (not padded/lycra/bike shorts) below. In the very coldest weather I'll add a long-sleeve cotton t-shirt as a midlayer, plus gloves (full-finger work gloves, not bike gloves -- or very rarely ski gloves) and a headband to keep ears warm. But then again I've got hairy man-legs and at 250 a significant layer of warming blubber, different for you...

Oh yeah, in the very coldest weather, my feet can get cold/numb on long rides, my solution is my wife's suggestion: foot in sock; then into plastic grocery bag, then into shoe, trim off the excess plastic at the ankle. The thin layer of plastic is pretty effective, lightweight windproofing. (for rain, I just put grocery bags around my whole shoes and tie them off around the ankles -- yes I look like a hobo, but my feet stay dry and then I throw the bags away!)
Old 10-06-15, 06:13 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
50-55, I wear the same clothes I wear in 70 degree-plus weather. I'm cold though for the first couple miles.

I start layering clothes at temps below 50. On comes a light jacket, but I'm still in short down to 45. Leggings come on at T below 45. Layered shirts beneath the jacket when it falls below 40. And, then I go high tech, wearing fancy thermal gear: full gloves, special socks, cycling hoodie, thicker leggings, etc; as temps approach and fall below 30.
Old 10-06-15, 11:14 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
It takes a bit of trial and error, but eventually you figure out what you need for each temp and condition. 55 and rain vs 55 and sun, etc. I truly believe that cycling specific clothes really work well in these types of temperatures. I love wearing a jersey and arm warmers with shorts. Perfect combo, and yes, this range of temps, low to mid 50's really is ideal riding weather. Less bugs, less sweating, but you are not out there freezing your rear end off either.
Old 10-07-15, 06:20 AM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Agree on the shorts. You'll heat up quickly when you ride. I like the 10 minute rule - see how you feel temperature-wise in 10 minutes.

I personally need gloves before I need a thicker shirt or shorts.
Old 10-07-15, 06:26 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
This is starting to get to be the time of year when I start bringing more layers to account for the temperature changes that might happen during the day. Another thin layer or two can make a big change in how comfortable I am and doesn't take up much space.
this.
ok it was 65 going home yesterday and 59 coming in this morning. i should have paid attention a little more to the temps. next time i can at least pack a short sleeve shirt and arm warmers for the ride back at least. instead i was lazy and just wore what i had already planned which was the long sleeve wool baselayer and shorts. i was overdressed but at least it wasn't overkill/too horrible.

alright, checking the weather, the next few days will be like today. it's not 50-55 anymore so i think easily this is short sleeves plus shorts and arm warmers (or at least pack them).

and i agree that using cycling specific clothing seems to shine for these middle temps... i really enjoy the arm warmers for 60-65 weather (they are new to me)
Old 10-07-15, 08:17 AM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
54 and light rain this morning. I threw on rain gear over my regular commuting gear for a 40-55 degree commute. I didn't wear my regular jacket but replaced it with a rain jacket. I was still to warm. If it's above 50, I'll need to go with shorts if I'm wearing rain gear. I'll also need to lose a layer on top and just go with a t-shirt and the rain jacket.
Old 10-07-15, 08:57 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Convincing yourself that it you need to be cold when you start off is the hard part for me. If I am warm when I leave the house, I know I will regret it. Once you conquer that mind game, you will be alright. I love it when I leave the complex, and see people walking in jackets and jeans, and I have on a jersey, shorts and arm warmers, I know I will be alright for the ride in.
Old 10-07-15, 11:22 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
I agree with @TenSpeedV2 It is hard to convince yourself that you should be cold when you walk out and start. The problem with my commute is that within .8 miles I ride down a hill that I can hit 32mph on and it is pretty cold because I have not warmed up enough yet. I wore same thing as yesterday at 49 and eventually took my vest off mid way through the ride. I was comfortable. Supposed to be around 80F today on the way home

How was the ride @snow_echo_NY ?
Old 10-07-15, 11:38 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
@snow_echo_NY,

You've discovered the enigma temperature for riding. I try to think about my extremities when things cool off. So, warmer socks in my normal shoes. A kerchief tied over my head. Thin gloves.

Yesterday was that range, and I overdressed on the top, with a long sleeve wicking tech layer, and my convertible wind vest/sleeves over top. It was too warm, and I could've left the sleeves off.

So, greg's suggestion ^ about shorts and arm warmers would also have worked with a normal short sleeve jersey and wind vest. In fact, I'm going to try that tomorrow. PG
did you ride with shorts, a short sleeve jersey, arm warmers and wind vest today? if so, what's the verdict? i have not thought of adding a vest but i suppose i could add it for 50-55 riding weather.
Old 10-07-15, 11:44 AM
snow_echo_NY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
I agree with @TenSpeedV2 It is hard to convince yourself that you should be cold when you walk out and start. The problem with my commute is that within .8 miles I ride down a hill that I can hit 32mph on and it is pretty cold because I have not warmed up enough yet. I wore same thing as yesterday at 49 and eventually took my vest off mid way through the ride. I was comfortable. Supposed to be around 80F today on the way home

How was the ride @snow_echo_NY ?
i agree it is hard to convince myself to leave home and be cold.
ok i'm convinced to try shorts, short sleeves + arm warmers + vest for 50 degree riding next time.

the ride today was good as usual, and the dressing for it was OK. i just wore shorts and a long sleeve thin wool baselayer top and it was too much but it wasn't overkill like the other day. still a little warmer than i prefer. but it was 59 this AM, not 50-55. the next few days will be 59 when i start (just checked the forecast) so i'll wait til next week possibly to add a vest.
Old 10-07-15, 01:55 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
did you ride with shorts, a short sleeve jersey, arm warmers and wind vest today? if so, what's the verdict? i have not thought of adding a vest but i suppose i could add it for 50-55 riding weather.

I did. The temperature was ~55 degrees, too. I still perspired beneath the wind vest a little bit, but was comfortable otherwise. Shorts were definitely the right choice, giving a place for some needed heat loss. I added light gloves, too, and my hands were almost too warm. At 50 degrees, this all would have been fine. Phil
Old 10-07-15, 03:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
This morning, I wore a cotton polo shirt and cotton shorts. I think it was about 55ºF. I rode fast, though, so I probably made a lot of heat for myself.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-07-15, 04:35 PM
brockd15 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
@snow_echo_NY, sounds like our preferences may be pretty similar.

My morning commutes are usually between 50 and 60 degrees, the ride home can be anywhere from the high 60's to 90's. Other than shoes, I don't wear bike-specific clothes for riding to work. In the morning I wear a light weight Smartwool t-shirt, Smartwool arm warmers, windproof vest, shorts, and regular socks. On the warmer mornings I'll push down the arm warmers when I've warmed up, and on the cooler mornings (under about 53) I'll add a thin pair of Icebreaker wool gloves. For my ride home I put the vest and arm warmers in my backpack.

Below that, into the 40's, I'll switch to a long sleeve Smartwool shirt and a jacket instead of vest. I don't have to deal with anything colder than that.
Old 10-07-15, 06:19 PM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i agree it is hard to convince myself to leave home and be cold.
ok i'm convinced to try shorts, short sleeves + arm warmers + vest for 50 degree riding next time.
I hear ya. My commute starts with a descent down the hill from my house, and the breeze can suck.

OTOH, as soon as I turn onto the cross street, I have a climb, then a sprint to catch a left turn lane so I can access the MUP that crosses a bridge. That bridge crossing ends with yet another climb. I'm usually warmed up by the end of that 2nd climb.

If my route were shorter and had relatively little elevation gain I might wear one more layer.

Last edited by GovernorSilver; 10-07-15 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-07-15, 06:41 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Regular bibs and jersey, plus armwarmers and kneewarmers, if I'm dressing for a long ride. If I'm just riding directly into work, I'll just wear regular dress pants and button down shirt. 50-55 F is perfect riding weather in my opinion.
Yep, although my commute is long enough I'll wear the riding clothes for that as well, usually. 50 degrees is basically on the edge of where gloves are necessary. I'll go without if I can manage it. I always make sure my knees are covered below 65 degrees or so. Cold knees are no good, even if they don't feel uncomfortable I don't think it's wise.
Old 10-08-15, 10:32 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
It was 56 this morning and I wore knee warmers, arm warmers, normal jersey (not wool), and a vest. I also wore a cap that covered my ears pretty comfortable all in in all. took the vest and the cap off. the cap was because both of my Halo's were wet because I did not get them out of the washing machine last night.
Old 10-08-15, 11:14 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by GovernorSilver
I hear ya. My commute starts with a descent down the hill from my house, and the breeze can suck.
I got that too. I moved about three years ago. Leaving this house in the morning, I have a mile of descent (about 140 feet worth) before I hit a stretch where I have to start providing my own momentum. During the winter when it's below 10 degrees or there's any wind, that first mile stinks.

At my old house I figured I'd be cold for the first two miles before I warm up. This house I'm cold for at least three.

And I have a lovely climb waiting for me at the end of every day when I'm good and tired.
Old 10-08-15, 11:29 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Old School:

For those who use windproof vests but are not thrilled with still having it 15 minutes into your ride, you might try this...Put a double sheet of newspaper between wicking underlayer and jersey, skip the vest. Way easier to get rid of while riding and you don't have remember to bring it home or wash it, ever. Works if the temps drop on your ride too.

Regards,Eric
Old 10-08-15, 12:07 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
For riding in 50-55 degree weather I wear the following:

-Running shoes
-Adidas track pants
-Under Armour sleeveless top
-Adidas fleece hoodie
-cycling hat
-half finger leather gloves
-If it's windy and raining, I will add merino wool base layer and fleece gloves.
That seems like a lot for that temperature. Whatever makes you feel good, though.

Above 60 I just use my regular warm weather getup: short-sleeve jersey and bike shorts.

Below 60 I add arm warmers. In the low 50's I might add my super-thin shell, which can be stuffed inside of itself and put in a jersey pocket if needed.

I don't add long pants until it gets into the 40's, which we haven't had any mornings like that just yet.

Last Saturday I was tooling around town and it was gray, windy, and low 50's (very much unseasonably cool, we're back in the 80's this week). I still wore shorts and short-sleeve tech shirt, but added my thin shell and was pretty comfortable.
Old 10-08-15, 01:25 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I forgot to mention a couple of things. I wore a thin wool hat under my helmet, and I brought a sweater in my bag in case it got unexpectedly cold. I kept the hat on but didn't take the sweater out.

My complete outfit in this weather:

sneakers (with SPD cleats)
wool socks
cotton briefs
cotton shorts
cotton polo shirt
wool hat
helmet
gel gloves

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.