Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Getting tired of the costume change

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Getting tired of the costume change

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-23, 02:30 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
According to his profile, he hasn't been here in a year, which frankly, given his responses, is a relief.
Whoops; the danger of bringing back a zombie thread.
Old 10-06-23, 03:22 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
The zombie rose from the grave a while back.
To add to the thread, I wear pretty normal work clothes, poly blend slacks that breathe, and I usually will have a poly/lycra rash guard type shirt in the warm months, or a good base layer and a merino sweater/jersey in colder months. I'll change my shirt when I get to work. My ride is 11.6 miles and I only really get sweaty in the humid Philly summer months. When fall really sets in, I'll wear the merino sweater all day, no problem. As for the job itself, I work in a long-term mental health facility, so no matter how bad I smell, it probably won't be noticed above the background ambiance.
Old 10-06-23, 03:36 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I'm now a school teacher. I ride to work in dress trousers, a dress shirt, and a tie.

Yes, really.

I do sweat. I don't care.

I don't wear button downs but I still like that groovy shirt.
Old 10-09-23, 03:49 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
My commute was a flat 8 miles but I wore my cobbled together "kit" (i.e. Target exercise capris and men's exercise t-shirts) because the ride was my exercise so no spinning, and because it is humid here, usually 70%+ on overcast days (i.e. most days). My work clothes involved jeans, and there are few things worse than riding in wet jeans. On foggy mornings the eucalyptus I rode under would drip oil and dirt on my shirt leaving brownish stains; ugh.