Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Why drop bars?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Why drop bars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-24, 01:14 PM
Cdubs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
I love drop bars for commuting. It gives me multiple hand positions for climbing or coasting. And I find it easier on the back too.
Likes For Cdubs:
Old 03-19-24, 12:32 AM
slickrcbd

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
For only the second time in 5 years I'm missing the drop bars of my old bike.
The reason: A low hanging tree branch over the sidewalk on Wilke road on the Arlington Heights/Rolling Meadows border near Kirchoff that makes me have to duck. It was easier to duck such things when I could simply grab the lower handlebars.
Funny now that I think about it the first time I missed the drop bars was the same reason on the same street a few years back, but about a mile and a half south a little north of Portillo's. At least until they trimmed that tree in the fall.

Does this mean I probably made the right choice in getting swept bars since I almost never used the lower bars unless I was ducking a low-hanging branch or the like?
99% of the time I'm very happy with the handlebars on the new bike and the posture they require.
Old 03-19-24, 07:31 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert7659
I find flat bars and an upright position uncomfortable, sometimes painful, and tiring and inefficient and frustrating. I just bought a gravel bike (Cannondale Topstone) and had to lower the handlebar, otherwise it was too hard to pedal, and the bumps went right up the bike through me. With lowered handlebars the bike floats and flies like a regular road bike should.
That's pretty much what I found too using high swept back Nitto Albatross bars, inefficient and an exercise in futility . With drop bars well below the saddle, hark ! The position feels normal, to be leaning forward-low while pedalling. Not to mention the hand positions and ergonomics of them. Flat bars were the very worst thing I ever experienced. They came with my '83 Stumpjumper and I never did get used to them. In hindsight I wish I had tried some drop bars on it, but sold it instead.

Whether you're riding for commuting, sport or leisure ride whatever works for you from your own actual riding experiences, not what someone claims is "good for you". WTF does that even mean ? I never met a "health expert" that even had a clue what "health" actually meant because if they did they would promptly retire their title. Mini-rant over.....
Old 03-19-24, 08:15 AM
C.I.

Bikes: Old Japanese Road Bikes (C-Itoh; Kabuki) with some upgrade (Italian & Japanese parts)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I always use road bike with drop bar for regular road training or for commuting. I do commuting like a "sport version" of commuting, like training exercise. You can change position of your hands, change position of your body, etc.