Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Thinking of finally going for it...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Thinking of finally going for it...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-23, 08:40 AM
SB1501

Bikes: Giant Escape 3 (2021), Raleigh Edale (2016)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Hey guys, I know I'm guilty of posting then seemingly abandoning it. But I've read through all the great advice here.

Nothing happened regarding my cycling plans. And car life very much resumed as normal. But a few annoying incidents of costs and issues with having 'professional' work done has really annoyed me about the car. And as I think of it, these things are a given as long as I own one. I'm also not a big believer in EVs for everyone (in cities, sure, legislate them where they can make a big difference) but in general, I don't like the idea of paying 2x as much (new or used) for a car that does less and is ultimately more controllable by big corporations who are now doing things like monthly subscriptions for heated seats!!! I just don't know if where cars are headed is where I want to be. Furthermore, a lot of the best part of owning one (learning how to do maintenance and repairs big and small) will also become obsolete as we move into futuristic EVs with the exception of some small things like brakes.. As much as I love driving and cars, it's sort of at the stage where the realities of it are starting to outweigh the enthusiast love of it.

Two big revelations:
- We have a local Enterprise car rental club that for not very much per year, I could hire a car (a real fancy one or even a VAN to move things for things like house moves or helping out relatives). This overcomes a massive part of actually living car-free. I just need to speak to them about how realistic and practical their availability is for a relatively rural way of life NI outside of Belfast in terms of availability. This seriously
- When I buy a house in the next couple of years I'll be under 2 miles from my office wherever I move to with good cycle paths so even having a smaller, non diesel car would be totally wasted on such a small commute. Even in extreme weather walking it is more than possible. My current 7.2 mile distance from it is already cycle-able but one stretch is narrow main road sadly making it very dangerous especially in the winter darkness.

I do flip flop between enjoying the car and owning it and then hating the expense and thought of it. But the more I think and plan, the more it appears I could survive without one all the same.
Likes For SB1501:
Old 12-17-23, 08:47 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I've not read the entire responses, but it occurred to me that you could choose to commute one or two a week or on certain days. If you decided to ride the bike every Wednesday for two years rain or shine, and journal the experience, I do believe looking back you will think it was worthwhile,
Likes For Chuck Naill: