Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Need Suggestions for Pannier Racks for Road Bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Need Suggestions for Pannier Racks for Road Bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-23, 05:40 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Dump the P-clamps. They are terrible. Measure your stays and get the proper size of these clamps from Tubus. Much easier to install and much stronger. I’ve used them for both the upper and lower attachments without issues.
Why terrible? I've put 60 miles or so on somewhat rough city terrain . No problems whatsoever. What did you not like?
Old 11-01-23, 05:45 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Why terrible? I've put 60 miles or so on somewhat rough city terrain . No problems whatsoever. What did you not like?
They aren’t all that strong and they tend to slip. Just putting them on is a pain compared to the Tubus clamps
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-01-23, 05:57 PM
RoadWearier

They aren’t all that strong and they tend to slip. Just putting them on is a pain compared to the Tubus clamps
​​​​​Did you use nuts with nylon inserts with the bolts? Washers? Neither? I'm wondering if that wasn't the problem. I agree putting them on required my holding them closed with needle nose pliers and I DEFINITELY wouldn't want to take them off, but so far they have been fine. Definitely would rather spend $2 vs $22 but I'm glad you found a solution that works for you.
Old 11-01-23, 09:17 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts
I've been using P clamps for mounting top stays for rear racks for four decades and never had any problems with the clamps, as long as they're properly sized. The primary task of the top stays is stabilization, as the load stress should be handled by the legs and lower bolts.
Old 11-01-23, 09:58 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
I've been using P clamps for mounting top stays for rear racks for four decades and never had any problems with the clamps, as long as they're properly sized. The primary task of the top stays is stabilization, as the load stress should be handled by the legs and lower bolts.
The “finding the right size” part is difficult with P-clamps, especially when buying them from a hardware store. The Tubus clamps come in specific sizes that fit better. Roadwearier implies that the frame has no braze-on mounts at all. P-clamps are okay for the top stays but not so great for the lower stays. I had a similar problem and the Tubus clamps are far better for the lower stays. I’ve had rack mounts added to the frame since this picture but the use of the Tubus clamps made mounting the rack easier than the previous P-clamp mount.

Modifying titanium is almost trivial. Not painting needed.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-02-23, 10:39 AM
RoadWearier

The “finding the right size” part is difficult with P-clamps, especially when buying them from a hardware store. The Tubus clamps come in specific sizes that fit better. Roadwearier implies that the frame has no braze-on mounts at all. P-clamps are okay for the top stays but not so great for the lower stays. I had a similar problem and the Tubus clamps are far better for the lower stays. I’ve had rack mounts added to the frame since this picture but the use of the Tubus clamps made mounting the rack easier than the previous P-clamp mount.

Modifying titanium is almost trivial. Not painting needed.

Actually I have holes down by the dropouts. Just none at the seat stays.