Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Storing sweaty clothes at work

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-23, 02:24 PM
damnable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi folks,
I'm back in the commuter saddle after a long time, but I'm hoping for some suggestions on sweaty gear. I'm in the Southern Hemisphere so heading into Summer and more sweat.

My work has a bike shed, showers and small lockers, so not bad, but doesn't have anywhere I can hang up sweaty gear during the day.

After I change into my work clothes, my only option to store commuting clothes appears to be shoving it in my small locker for at least 8 hours where it doesn't get a chance to air out or dry. So putting it back on to ride home is a bit gross and sticky, and I know things will also get funky.

I'm hoping for tips and tricks for this situation please.

If it matters, my commute is a hilly 7 miles each way.

Last edited by damnable; 11-27-23 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-27-23, 02:35 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
I never practiced wearing my kit more than once.
But seven miles likely works okay.
Sounds like hanging the sweaty gear on your bike gets frowned upon?
It may act as a theft deterrent, tho!
You could bring a couple fresh kits with you and rotate 'em.
Let the just-ridden set in the locker overnight.
Old 11-27-23, 03:32 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
I commute in Houston Texas in the southern US. Summer is 35-38C and 80-90 % humidity.

When I had your situation at one work location I took my wet kit out and hung it on the bike. I was in a low-theft location. I have at times run my clothes through a cable lock.

I don’t re-use anything; it gets washed after one day of use. Also using helmet liners saved my marriage….
Old 11-27-23, 04:30 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I highly doubt anyone would take your sweaty clothes if you hung them on your bike. You can also try keeping desiccant in your locker, like Damp-Rid.
Old 11-27-23, 04:48 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Depends on your work situation. I work in a cube, and hang bike clothes (on a hanger) catty-corner on the edge of my whiteboard, or on the doorway to the cube. It's usually dry by the end of the day, unless I sweat through a warm shower on the way in.
Old 11-27-23, 07:14 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
I hung mine in out of the way places around the building when I worked. I hung them under a stairway for a while. I hung them in an unused vent chase way until that room got remodeled. I hung them in the shower room since I was about the only person who used the locker room on a regular basis. We had hooks on the wall and I’d just hang my clothes on hangers along the wall.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-28-23, 07:30 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
At my old job I had many empty rooms to choose from. At the new job I put up an inexpensive portable wardrobe behind my desk and occasionally spray Febreeze air freshener into it. And wearing fresh bike clothes every day in the warm months. My office suite mate says it smells fine, and other co-workers seem to agree.

Likes For BobbyG:
Old 11-28-23, 01:35 PM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by damnable
I'm back in the commuter saddle after a long time, but I'm hoping for some suggestions on sweaty gear.
A quick clothes wash in a sink followed by wringing out the water and draping the clothing over something has always worked well for me. As an alternative to wringing, I've also used a portable washing machine which gets clothing very nearly dry even prior to hanging up. Never tried a salad spinner but I wonder if something like that might work almost as well, with the benefit of being really cheap and portable. If you can't hang up your clothes or drape them over a chair, what about setting up a little clothesline somewhere innocuous, like under or next to a desk?
Old 11-28-23, 01:44 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
you probably aren't wearing much. I used to throw my ride-in shorts & shirt in a plastic bag & wore a fresh set of shorts & shirt for the ride home. washed both sets when I got home & they air dried before my next commute, the next day
Old 11-28-23, 02:24 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Since I too work in a cube, hanging things up is a must. Who wants to ride home stinky and damp? The no-smell rule is way to go for the office. What if you had a job you got smelly and dirty? Is anything goes the way ride?
Old 11-28-23, 04:23 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
you probably aren't wearing much. I used to throw my ride-in shorts & shirt in a plastic bag & wore a fresh set of shorts & shirt for the ride home. washed both sets when I got home & they air dried before my next commute, the next day
Your method seems the best choice if space is limited or the presence of sweaty clothes would cause issues with co-workers or the public who have access to your work space, and I would do the same as you.

Luckily for me, many of my last working years I had my own office with a door to keep out uninvited co-workers. The inexpensive coat rack handled the drying process of all sweaty layers of clothing after an 11 mile commute in time for a warm and dry ride home. These clothes layers were effective in keeping me warm during the entire commute even in sub zero F. weather. I recommend that the OP find out if there is anyplace at the work site to place a clothes rack for his sweaty bicycle clothes to dry out that is secure and private enough, otherwise rumrunn6 provided the best solution.

Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 11-28-23, 07:09 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Your method seems the best choice if space is limited or the presence of sweaty clothes would cause issues with co-workers or the public who have access to your work space, and I would do the same as you.

Luckily for me, many of my last working years I had my own office with a door to keep out uninvited co-workers. The inexpensive coat rack handled the drying process of all sweaty layers of clothing after an 11 mile commute in time for a warm and dry ride home. These clothes layers were effective in keeping me warm during the entire commute even in sub zero F. weather. I recommend that the OP find out if there is anyplace at the work site to place a clothes rack for his sweaty bicycle clothes to dry out that is secure and private enough, otherwise rumrunn6 provided the best solution.

that is quite nice!

at my last employ, there was a rather clean boiler room / storage room, w/ various places to hang & drape stuff. boss offered to install lockers & maybe he should have. but w/ all the open space I was able to hang out 2 layers, of full storm gear, head to toe. airflow is key

the OP wrote: "Southern Hemisphere so heading into Summer and more sweat" so they are probably 1/2 neked anyway, so probably only shirt & shorts. socks, one can hide & dry out

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-28-23 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-29-23, 07:09 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
This is what my setup at my old job looked like. Who's a-thunk a photo like this could induce nostalgia?
Old 11-29-23, 07:38 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I have my kit spread around my office in various spots to dry out. My office is generally pretty messy so it blends right in 😁
Old 12-03-23, 11:09 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
In my cubicle

I have a metal garden rod under my desk. I run a fan on them and microfiber towel most of the day.
no one has said they smell anything. I wear the same clothes to and from work. Bib shorts and jersey in the NC summertime cycling clothes in the winter as well.
Old 12-03-23, 12:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Old job- 16mi each way- had a desk in an open bullpen style layout. There were showers. I would shower and hang clothes in the shower room. Then I moved the clothes to hang on a bar brace under my desk. That worked best as I had a small fan run to dry everything out by noon, and it was out if sight since it was on a support bar under the desk.

Current job- 7mi each way- have an office. No showers. I hang the stuff in a small coat closet in my office.

If I were in an office setting with cubicles or open bullpen and couldn't hang it in a desk brace bar out of the way, I would ask to hang it in the server closet/room. Tons of air circulation in those and typically nobody goes in em so the clothes are out of the way.
Old 12-03-23, 02:18 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
My workplace had a door that was open all the time, so I got a set of dollar store over-the-door hooks and just hung my clothes on the backside of the door. Cheap, discreet, and everything dried quickly. HTH.
Old 12-04-23, 12:08 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Ya might want to try out a portable ozone generator.
40 USD Amazon: HME Trow-N-Go Ozone Air Purifier for Clothing and Gear

I used ta use a rechargeable battery powered fan similar to a computer muffin fan. It could circulate enough air through my locker vents to dry out most of my stuff. Of course it did not do much for my stink.
Old 12-04-23, 10:13 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Most offices I've worked in have coat closets that are empty in the summer. Haven't had any problems hanging damp clothes in the coat closet on hangers during the work day. Clothes are dry by the end of the day.