Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

One Thing Leads to Another: The 'Gatorcet Saddle

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-23, 02:32 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts

Many of you are familiar with the children's book, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, written by Laura Numeroff and illustrated by Felicia Bond. It was published in 1985 and describes how the mouse, after receiving the cookie, requests a glass of milk, and next a straw, followed by.... The story is sort of about the Gift which keeps on Requesting.

Well, this is a tale about how a thread started by @jdawginsc Cool and Interesting Bar Tape, started me down a path in which one thing led to another, along a common theme.

jdawg's thread is about bar tape which has an alligator or crocodile pattern. I teasingly replied to the thread saying I had some cowhide embossed with a 'gator pattern and I could make bar covers which might look cool.

Not wanting to offer up vain promises, I started making covers for the bars I would use on a recent project. I soon decided the bar covers needed matching brake lever hoods and I made a pair at the same time.

(The imperfections in the bar wrap and hood are reflections)

Not surprisingly, the reaction to my work was mixed, with some loving, some hating, and others with no opinion. The naysayers, however, inspired me to go a little further. I figured I could tweak their sensibilities a little more, by making a saddle bag from the same hide.

As can be seen, I originally installed a black Brooks B-17 on this bike. I thought a blue saddle might look better, so I conducted a poll and asked if I should use the Black B-17, a Navy Blue Professional, or a Blue Denim Cambium. The Navy Blue Professional won by a slim two vote margin over the B-17.

However, that thread had at least one bad mannered BF member mouthing off about how "hideous" the 'gator bar covers, hoods and bag looked. His comments inspired me to propose a gator skin saddle. This time jdawg conspired with me and sent an early 1980s Avocet Racing saddle. Its cover was slightly damaged and peeling away from the base. Fortunately the base and padding were in good shape.

Without any further delays, I give you the one, the only, the original, Gatorcet Bike Saddle!

Now--- what's next? Shoe uppers? Handlebar bag? Frame pack?

What are your One Thing Leads to Another (OTLTA) projects?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 02-11-23, 02:48 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,380 Times in 3,669 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Many of you are familiar with the children's book, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, written by Laura Numeroff and illustrated by Felicia Bond. It was published in 1985 and describes how the mouse, after receiving the cookie, requests a glass of milk, and next a straw, followed by.... The story is sort of about the Gift which keeps on Requesting.

Well, this is a tale about how a thread started by @jdawginsc Cool and Interesting Bar Tape, started me down a path in which one thing led to another, along a common theme.

jdawg's thread is about bar tape which has an alligator or crocodile pattern. I teasingly replied to the thread saying I had some cowhide embossed with a 'gator pattern and I could make bar covers which might look cool.

Not wanting to offer up vain promises, I started making covers for the bars I would use on a recent project. I soon decided the bar covers needed matching brake lever hoods and I made a pair at the same time.

(The imperfections in the bar wrap and hood are reflections)

Not surprisingly, the reaction to my work was mixed, with some loving, some hating, and others with no opinion. The naysayers, however, inspired me to go a little further. I figured I could tweak their sensibilities a little more, by making a saddle bag from the same hide.

As can be seen, I originally installed a black Brooks B-17 on this bike. I thought a blue saddle might look better, so I conducted a poll and asked if I should use the Black B-17, a Navy Blue Professional, or a Blue Denim Cambium. The Navy Blue Professional won by a slim two vote margin over the B-17.

However, that thread had at least one bad mannered BF member mouthing off about how "hideous" the 'gator bar covers, hoods and bag looked. His comments inspired me to propose a gator skin saddle. This time jdawg conspired with me and sent an early 1980s Avocet Racing saddle. Its cover was slightly damaged and peeling away from the base. Fortunately the base and padding were in good shape.

Without any further delays, I give you the one, the only, the original, Gatorcet Bike Saddle!

Looks great, I dig it!

Do you anticipate it being a rider of much distance?
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-11-23, 04:08 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,127 Times in 1,967 Posts
I vote for frame pack installed at the head-down-too tube junction. Thin to win.

...and the saddle looks great. Have you tried it out? Might need to wear a bit to soften up, but you gave that saddle new life!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 02-11-23, 04:21 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,551 Times in 1,409 Posts
Maybe toe strap coverings? I completely respect and admire the DIY ethos and somewhere around here I've got some veg tan brake hoods that were on my Super Course when I had drop bars on it. The bar was wrapped with 1-2oz veg tan cowhide 1.5" strip leather. Here's a pic of a similar setup (sans leather brake hoods) with the same leather. It would be better if I had a setup to shave/taper the leather ends, but it still works well. As time goes on, they will age and darken with use and exposure.

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 02-11-23, 05:37 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,698 Times in 2,611 Posts
Bob, if you get some Speedblend tires on that rig, you’ll really be stylin’:

Likes For nlerner:
Old 02-11-23, 08:33 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 849 Posts
mad skills for sure
Likes For jadmt:
Old 02-11-23, 08:55 PM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 239 Times in 133 Posts
It just screams to be mounted on an '80s Italian classic (any one, as they are all the same) fitted out with one of those gold plated Campy groups.
Old 02-11-23, 09:25 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
Toe straps... shoes and gloves... Hairnet helmet!

Or you could give a whole new meaning to the term "skinsuit."

Brent

Old 02-11-23, 09:33 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by merziac

Looks great, I dig it!

Do you anticipate it being a rider of much distance?
I'm letting the glue cure for the next 3-4 days and I'll take it out for a 20-30 mile ride. I'll report back afterwards.

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
I vote for frame pack installed at the head-down-too tube junction. Thin to win.

...and the saddle looks great. Have you tried it out? Might need to wear a bit to soften up, but you gave that saddle new life!
Actually, it is not hard at all. The cover is similar to the original, as far as give is concerned. I'll provide a ride report later next week.

I like the frame pack idea. I'll give it more thought.

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Maybe toe strap coverings?...
Great suggestion! I'm using clipless now. I need to find a decent set of 1/2" pedals for the 1950's cottered crankset.

Originally Posted by jadmt
mad skills for sure
Thank you. Lots and lots of practice. Not all that different from teaching yourself how to service your own bikes.

Originally Posted by sbarner
It just screams to be mounted on an '80s Italian classic (any one, as they are all the same) fitted out with one of those gold plated Campy groups.
Not a bad suggestion, but I'm sticking with the '75 Schwinn (Panasonic) Voyageur II, '51 Sturmey Archer AM hub, and '50 Schwinn crankset.

How about a couple of more pictures?

And before I started stitching, stretching, gluing, and clamping.

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 02-11-23, 09:38 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Fellow leatherworker here - I'm in the can't-stand-the-look-of-that-leather camp but you sure do nice work.
Old 02-11-23, 09:40 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by nlerner
Bob, if you get some Speedblend tires on that rig, you’ll really be stylin’:

Neal, not a bad idea--- but I'm guessing they don't come in 27" versions for the SA AM wheel you sold me. Which continues to be a blast to ride.

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 02-11-23, 10:00 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by retswerb
Fellow leatherworker here - I'm in the can't-stand-the-look-of-that-leather camp but you sure do nice work.
Thank you for the positive comments on my work. Sorry you don't care for my leather selection. As I mentioned in the beginning, the gator work was inspired by a joking comment about alligator or crocodile bar tape.

Have you checked out this thread, DYI Bag Making? Possibly you will like some of my other leather selections better. Don't ding me on some of my early attempts using tubular tires.

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 02-11-23, 10:47 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

@pastorbobnlnh

I'm thinking about sweaty, humid, hot muggy temps on a long ride.

Any maroon gatorskin to be had?
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-12-23, 12:28 AM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Thank you for the positive comments on my work. Sorry you don't care for my leather selection. As I mentioned in the beginning, the gator work was inspired by a joking comment about alligator or crocodile bar tape.

Have you checked out this thread, DYI Bag Making? Possibly you will like some of my other leather selections better. Don't ding me on some of my early attempts using tubular tires.
No offense intended or apologies needed - different strokes for different folks!

I perused that other thread with interest - some really nice work by you and others there as well. I haven't tried my hand at anything bike-related yet (other than leather-wrapped bars) but I'll definitely post here when I do.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 02-12-23, 01:09 AM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 182 Posts
Love how you went through all this work just to spite the person who bad mouthed the croc-skinned items.
Likes For philpeugeot:
Old 02-12-23, 03:05 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Well done sir!

Obviously you can't ride that in a hundrum cycling outfit. A pair of matching Chelsea boots are just what you need:

Oh, and gloves, of course:

Old 02-12-23, 07:43 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Well done sir!

Obviously you can't ride that in a hundrum cycling outfit. A pair of matching Chelsea boots are just what you need:

Oh, and gloves, of course:
Wow! Those are so stylish! Beautiful work. I've been wanting to try my hand (sic) at gloves. I should YouTube to see if I can find anyone making fingerless ones.

Originally Posted by philpeugeot
Love how you went through all this work just to spite the person who bad mouthed the croc-skinned items.
Too be fair, I had been working on the Voyageur II build with the old Schwinn crankset and Sturmey Archer AM hub off and on all fall. I had to source a few parts from Great Britain and find other parts which I had stored from my move in 2021. Everything was in hand or in place by the New Year, with the exception of bar wrap. I had kept debating colors in my head, and all I could come up with was boring black. jdawg's thread got the creative juices flowing.

The negative comments from others kept upping the ante. And OTLTA! My response was; "So, you don't like this? How about this!"

Despite the despairing remarks, I've enjoyed being pushed to new aspects of leather crafting. It's just surprising, how some folks just have to open their mouths and let their vitriol out. I suppose they watch too much cable news and decide the world is a better place because they publicly shout out their opinion, when the rest of us could give a dam.

Personally, I am really enjoying the additional suggestions on things to make. Plus, a 'gator accessorized bike is perfect for my southern US island riding. I've had alligators in my driveway and spot them often on my rides.

Originally Posted by merziac
@pastorbobnlnh

I'm thinking about sweaty, humid, hot muggy temps on a long ride.

Any maroon gatorskin to be had?
The finish on the leather will repel the sweat, and my exceptional speed will disperse it off the back. Watch out riders, who try to draft me! They will be showered in butt sweat!
Like this?

(Alligator Hide on Ebay) Is this Maroon enough? I have some color blindness.

Originally Posted by obrentharris
Toe straps... shoes and gloves... Hairnet helmet!

Or you could give a whole new meaning to the term "skinsuit."

Brent
Brent, I missed your reply last evening. I've been pondering making a hairnet helmet. Now I know what hide to use for my first one!
Originally Posted by retswerb
No offense intended or apologies needed - different strokes for different folks!

I perused that other thread with interest - some really nice work by you and others there as well. I haven't tried my hand at anything bike-related yet (other than leather-wrapped bars) but I'll definitely post here when I do.
Please post a photo here of your leather wrapped bars. We would love to see your work.

Old 02-12-23, 08:58 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
As always, fantastic stuff, Bob. Dare to be different!

I'm immensely curious how the saddle wears in and the stitching at the edges. Any miles on it yet?

-Kurt

P.S.: I think a Paramount needs one of these, don't you?

Likes For cudak888:
Old 02-12-23, 09:16 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
I saw this thread yesterday and didn't open it for whatever reason. But I must say I'm very impressed with the craftsmanship and the overall unique style it gives the bike.

Last edited by Chuck M; 02-12-23 at 01:03 PM.
Likes For Chuck M:
Old 02-12-23, 10:04 AM
Saudadeii
USAF Veteran

Bikes: 1984 Univega GT, 2000 Fuji Newest

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 28 Posts
<snip> Not surprisingly, the reaction to my work was mixed, with some loving, some hating, and others with no opinion. The naysayers, however, inspired me to go a little further. I figured I could tweak their sensibilities a little more, by making a saddle bag from the same hide.

Well played!! I think they look OUTSTANDING.
Likes For Saudadeii:
Old 02-12-23, 04:39 PM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I'm immensely curious how the saddle wears in and the stitching at the edges. Any miles on it yet?
The sight of those stitches gave me nightmares about trashed shorts and wicked saddle sores. Maybe I'm over-reacting.
Old 02-12-23, 05:46 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
My wife has this "dragon" purse that's an artificial gatorskin in iridescent unicorn colors. I think that's your next step.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 02-12-23, 09:46 PM
merziac

The finish on the leather will repel the sweat, and my exceptional speed will disperse it off the back. Watch out riders, who try to draft me! They will be showered in butt sweat!
Like this?

(Alligator Hide on Ebay) Is this Maroon enough? I have some color blindness.
Think Black Cherry, more black, I didn't see any big, dark enough pieces that weren't real, I think it needs to be the embossed stuff.

We'll see how yours does.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-12-23, 10:07 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by MooneyBloke
The sight of those stitches gave me nightmares about trashed shorts and wicked saddle sores. Maybe I'm over-reacting.
I'll take the bike and Gatorcet saddle out for a 20-25 mile ride one day this week. I'll report back on any trashed shorts, saddle sores, or other anomalies. Being a Brooks guy, my guess is that it will be too soft.

I really just made it to see if I could successfully recover a saddle. I've never had great success with riding on anything other than a single layer of thick cow hide.

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 02-13-23, 06:08 AM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 161 Posts
I really just made it to see if I could successfully recover a saddle. I've never had great success with riding on anything other than a single layer of thick cow hide.
Given the cost of replacing a SSM Rolls these days, I can appreciate the thrift.

As far as any damage, you'd want to do some longer rides daily to get the true effects. I had a Fizik with stitched cover a while back, and while it didn't eat my shorts (stitches were internal), I certainly had evil saddle sores. I was doing daily 50 milers. I've not seen any issue like that with the SSM Rolls, but I also avoided the versions with the showy embroidery on the covers.
Likes For MooneyBloke:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.