Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Mountain bikers be careful

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-24, 12:59 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts

Cougar attacks group of mountain bikers

This may have already been mentioned. Thankfully, While one biker was injured, none of the five bikers was killed.
Old 02-21-24, 01:30 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
I have nothing to add other than this is someone I know and have ridden many thousands of miles with. If ever this were to happen to someone, it would be her by sheer volume of miles ridden. She rides hundreds of miles per week, rain or shine, all weather and most of them in the gravel and forest roads. She is an unstoppable dynamo.

She was also in the middle of the pack. 2 riders ahead, 2 riders behind. So they were stalked and hunted. The attack itself lasted about 15 minutes and severed some nerves in her face. Not good. There are some more details but I would be speaking out of turn to share.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 02-21-24, 01:38 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
I have nothing to add other than this is someone I know and have ridden many thousands of miles with. If ever this were to happen to someone, it would be her by sheer volume of miles ridden. She rides hundreds of miles per week, rain or shine, all weather and most of them in the gravel and forest roads. She is an unstoppable dynamo.

She was also in the middle of the pack. 2 riders ahead, 2 riders behind. So they were stalked and hunted. The attack itself lasted about 15 minutes and severed some nerves in her face. Not good. There are some more details but I would be speaking out of turn to share.
I am glad she survived.
Old 02-23-24, 03:44 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Not only are cougar attacks on humans rare, but this is truly exceptional since cougars prefer to hunt solo prey. OTOH freak events are impossible to dismiss when you become the freak, so I wish her a fast and full recovery.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-24-24, 05:15 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Not only are cougar attacks on humans rare, but this is truly exceptional since cougars prefer to hunt solo prey. OTOH freak events are impossible to dismiss when you become the freak, so I wish her a fast and full recovery.
+1. I believe subadults are more likely to do that sort of thing as they are “learning the ropes.” Sort of like young bears. When they are driven off by mom, they tend to get in more trouble than older ones. We’ve had a few come into Philly over the last 7 years or so,
Old 02-24-24, 08:48 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
The California attack on a younger woman riding along with two males who immediately fled the scene leaving her to fend for herself was instigated by a starved or sick adult mountain lion that weighed around 60lbs.
Likes For Rick:
Old 02-25-24, 05:21 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
The California attack on a younger woman riding along with two males who immediately fled the scene leaving her to fend for herself was instigated by a starved or sick adult mountain lion that weighed around 60lbs.
I remember that. Sort of like the bear that attacked and killed a cyclist right in town in Ovando, MT a couple of years ago. The bear had some sort of abscess in its mouth/face. It dragged to woman out of her tent and killed her.
Old 02-27-24, 12:04 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Most cyclists die at the hands of inattentive people driving motor vehicles. I remember the paranoia after the movie Jaws was released and people did not realize that sharks kill very few people and a tiny fraction of those killed every year by hogs and dogs.
Old 02-27-24, 12:15 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
Most cyclists die at the hands of inattentive people driving motor vehicles. I remember the paranoia after the movie Jaws was released and people did not realize that sharks kill very few people and a tiny fraction of those killed every year by hogs and dogs.
More people die from vending machines than shark attacks.
​​​​​​​