Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Rossin Road Bike Value?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-23, 06:52 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
Rossin Road Bike Value?

Rossin Road Bike. Any ideas on vintage? Campy equipped, perforated Turbo saddle.
Seller is accepting offers. What would be a reasonable opening offer?
Ad says size is 59?
Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 07-25-23, 08:50 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
I recently sold a 1982 Medici Pro Strada with similar equip ( Campagnolo second gen. Super Record) and condition. It was 60cm in size and outside the most desirable size range of 56-58cm . I am not sure where Rossin falls in the pecking order compared to Medic but I was asking 800 and took 750 for it. It took a while but the market is not spectacular right now and if the seller is motivated it could work to your advantage. Maybe someone with knowledge of this brand may be able to help you make a decent offer. I had folks make ridiculous offers on mine and I just ignored them and moved on until someone made a decent offer. My situation was that I had a value in my mind and if it didn’t happen I would keep it . That is a nice looking bike and if you like it , I suggest taking it for a ride when you get close to a determined value and ready to make an offer, good luck.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 07-26-23, 10:09 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
What he said, I think it's more like a 57 or 58, nice Chromovelato with nice parts, a worthy bike.
Old 07-26-23, 11:06 AM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by VtwinVince
What he said, I think it's more like a 57 or 58, nice Chromovelato with nice parts, a worthy bike.
It doesn’t look like a cromovelato paint job to me.
Old 07-26-23, 11:17 AM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Rossin measured center to top. That looks like an early 80's bike, no second set of water bottle bosses and SL tubing.

They are fine frames. It's hard to tell the condition of the paint and chrome from the picture, and it looks to have tubular rims.

It has Almarc leather bar wrap, and a very long 1R stem on it.

If it fits, I'd give it a try.
Old 07-26-23, 11:27 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I am not sure where Rossin falls in the pecking order compared to Medic ...
...I am under the impression that the earliest Rossin frames attract the most attention, in terms of desirability. But that's just my impression.
It's possible that there aren't that many people who still remember how the brand got started, and the ensuing years as production and sales expanded.

I have an early 70's frame here that I repainted, but have not yet reassembled. There was at least one person posting here who was unimpressed with the brazing on his, which he also repainted. Mine appeared to be very well done, when the paint was stripped. The old Rossin history page appears to have gone away, so this blog is about the most information still up on the interwebz.

VINTAGE ROSSIN ARCHIVE
Old 07-26-23, 11:37 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Rossin

...other than the inescapable fact that prices are down on classic steel road bikes right now, I have no idea what you might offer for this one.
At one time it was probably a good deal at 800 bucks, but nobody seems to want to spend that sort of money on a steel bike with down tube shifting any more.

I have quit listing mine for sale, locally. Hoping to either start organizing for the dreaded e-bay sales, or maybe they will become more trendy again.
Rear derailleur looks like early Super Record, which was kind of pricey at the time (80's). So it's well outfitted, for the period.
Old 07-26-23, 12:47 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
Single bottle, under bb guide, and braze on mount front derailleur, I'll say it is a 1983-84
Old 07-26-23, 12:53 PM
greenscobie86
Steel IS Real

Bikes: Vintage italian stuff

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Chiming in with my 0.02 cents here. Nice bike if a little on the tall side + long reach stem, I think its gotta be ~$1k+ all day(especially if you happen to have the original pedals IMO) if there is no rust and the paint is nicer in person than photos.
Old 07-26-23, 01:01 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by desert ryder
what would be a reasonable opening offer?
$600
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-26-23, 01:32 PM
Kabuki12

This is the Medici I sold, no pedals were included
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
$600
I sure wouldn't sell for that but honestly , that's where the market is at and I think , a reasonable offer......One way to find out ! Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 07-26-23, 07:19 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

The seller turned down $500 and is in the $800-1K realm in his ballpark figure.

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/bik/...647337387.html
Old 07-26-23, 08:29 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
The seller turned down $500 and is in the $800-1K realm in his ballpark figure.

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/bik/...647337387.html
....I've gotten some lowball offers on some pretty nice bikes in the past few months. I turned them down, too. I guess it would be different if I did not still ride them. Weird ad text.
Old 07-26-23, 08:36 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
....I've gotten some lowball offers on some pretty nice bikes in the past few months. I turned them down, too. I guess it would be different if I did not still ride them. Weird ad text.
I didn't offer the $500. I asked him what kind of ballpark figure here was looking at before making an offer.
He said he turned down a $500 offer already. I thanked him and moved on. If it was an attractive price for me I would have considered it but I really don't need another bike.

BTW...by not putting a price, and saying you are accepting offers, you open yourself to low offers and shouldn't be offended.

Last edited by Desert Ryder; 07-27-23 at 07:17 AM.
Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 07-26-23, 09:49 PM
Kabuki12

I agree with that , if you don’t have a target price listed you get offers that are no doubt going to be low. When I had mine for sale I had a price and did not say firm price. I assumed people would make offers but ignored “low ball” offers. It took a while , certainly more than a week , but a decent offer finally came in and the bike was sold. I had originally thought I would sell a few but I’ve decided to keep what I have and enjoy them. It is good you moved on.
Old 07-26-23, 10:12 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
I didn't offer the $500. I asked him what kind of ballpark figure here was looking at before making an offer.
He said he turned down a $500 offer already. I thanked him and moved on. If it was an attractive price for me I would have considered it but I really don't need another bike.

BTW...by not putting a price and saying you are accepting offers you open yourself to low offers and shouldn't be offended.
...I always, always, always price my stuff. It saves dealing with most of the "Would you take a hunnert bucks" people. But still, they persist.
My most recent one was a guy who I met with a three tubes, celeste Bianchi in good shape. Clearly advertised at $400, which I thought a reasonable price, given condition, which is excellent.

It even has indexed shifting. Nothing needed, everything replaced when I stripped and reworked it for my own use a few years back. I think I paid $500 for it, plus whatever consumables I replaced. like tires, chain bar tape, brake blocks, cables, etc.

He rides it around the parking lot, inspects it carefully without much comment, finally stands up and points down to a paint scratch on the BB shell.
"That looks like it might be due to overstressing in that area, and might fail. I'll need to offer considerably less than your asking price."

I just loaded the bike up and left. As I was loading, he asked, "So you wouldn't take $399 for it ?" Craigslist is a laugh a minute.