Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's the deal with Walmart and Shimano?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's the deal with Walmart and Shimano?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-24, 09:05 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
I think it was touched on up thread a bit but not really unpacked. There is a reason the WalMart commercials use the verbage "Same brands" and not "same products." It is because a lot of manufacturers will create a WalMart specific product SKU that invariably has a lower production cost in some way. It may be a bushing instead of a bearing. It could be a thinner injection mold. It could be a different electric motor. Or heck even the same motor with a different cooling fan. Whatever. The point is: When WalMart renews a contract with a manufacturer they will tend to demand a lower price and they order enough that the other company can't do without the contract. The manufacturer doesn't really have a choice other than figure out a way to cheapen the product but do so in a way customers won't notice or care about when it finally does break. That is unless they want to break the addiction to WM & make less money.

The same tactic is mercilessly used to exploit smaller manufacturers and after the first order WM comes a long to demand an order so big the only way a Ma&Pa can fulfill it is to leverage themselves with huge loans and liabilities to meet WM's order demands only to be told on the next order (number 3) of the price they thought they were working for has now changed to near zero and either fulfil the order or go bankrupt.

Like Uber and Lyft drivers with their related automobile costs: Brands sold in Walmart are invariably borrowing against the equity of their future brands value. We know Shimano Tourney is crap. Did you know Shimano has a WM Tourney line that is even worse? Tourney TX.
Same with the Lowes, Home Depots of the world. In most cases, a lot of the parts are different and are not interchangeable.
Related to this subject, I own an industrial tools business/distributor. More than a few years ago, a national sales manager asked me why I didn't sell many of one of their products. I told him the Lowes a mile away sells it for $50 cheaper than I can buy it from your company. He said Lowes was their biggest customer nationwide, so they get a cheaper price. I told him I understood, so why did he even ask me the question in the first place. Stupid is as stupid does.

Last edited by seypat; 01-20-24 at 10:15 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-20-24, 10:15 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Nothing new. In the 80's I could buy anything Campy from Nashbar or Bike Warehouse cheaper than from my distributor..

Samosamo
Old 01-20-24, 11:37 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
The real mystery is why GMC allows its brand to be put on (exclusively) garbage bikes. Especially their GMC Denali brand, which is supposed to be their upmarket trim. Why is that licensed to bottom of the barrel Wally bikes?
Old 01-20-24, 12:07 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
It's hard to believe the questions in this thread are serious.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-20-24, 12:14 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Why would John Deere allow their name to be put on a bike when it won't pull a plow?

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-20-24, 12:30 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
It is funny how Shimano has been able to pull off what Wilson tried to do and failed. Wilson is involved in so many sports, but their golf clubs were once the premier brand used by professional golfers. Wilson tried to corner all aspects of the golf market, and increase profits, by offering Wilson golf clubs at big box discount stores. The move nearly put Wilson golf out of business. It has never recovered; although it has been offering high quality players clubs for the last 15 years.

Shimano's association with Walmart is because Shimano is the dominant brand in bicycle components. Shimano nearly has a monopoly when it comes to the market with a 75% share. When everyone else has to fight over a share of the remaining 25%, Shimano has few concerns about tarnishing their name as long as they continue to produce quality components at higher levels.

The other aspect is that professional cycling doesn't drive bicycling component sales. I doubt many people even know Jonas Vingegaard is sponsored by SRAM, I didn't, and probably fewer would be influenced by it to buy a SRAM equipped bike because of him. In 1995 Tiger Woods signed with Nike and they suddenly were producing clubs with zero heritage in the club making industry. They have since abandoned club making, but the influence of professionals on the buying public differs between sports.

Trek may have taken a hit with their association with Lance Armstrong, but Shimano, (and specifically Dura Ace), didn't miss a beat. I would think owning an entire NOS 25th anniversary 7700 groupset would be quite the prize for a number of people. Not so much a US Postal Service badged 5XXX series bike.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 01-20-24, 12:46 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Why would John Deere allow their name to be put on a bike when it won't pull a plow?
Where's the PTO?
Old 01-20-24, 12:50 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
I'm enraged at our local Walmart as they lied to me regarding a deli order for a bike get-together last night (said they'd have the items, then lied and said they never made that commitment and yelled at me for not knowing their (unposted) food prep hours). And they were out of an item my family really wanted, and said they had a non-abrasive hand cleaner for my wife, but all they had on the shelf was pumice-packed. Grrr.

Wait, I think my Great Value Mexican-style lasagna is ready in the microwave...
Old 01-20-24, 12:53 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
A few years ago, I met up with a group of older riders riding very nice bikes. I was riding my bike which is equipped with a mixed Record/ Chorus 10 speed group. I was admiring one of the bikes which was nicely equipped with Dura Ace components. He looked at my bike and asked me if my components were above or below Ultegra in the Shimano lineup. I had to explain that Campagnolo was an entirely different company
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 01-20-24, 12:55 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I get it - money. That's the obvious answer. But why Shimano? Nobody is making garbage tires for Walmart's bikes and putting their name in giant letters on them.
That would be the Kenda made Bell ones...
Old 01-20-24, 01:00 PM
wheelreason

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Shimano also makes fishing gear, and Walmart is probably the world’s largest seller of fishing equipment. If you like your Shimano fishing reel, maybe you’ll buy your kids of grandkids a Walmart Shimano bike.
You would think, but Shimano cycling and Shimano fishing are run like 2 separate companies, and fishing is a weird segment, manufacturers sell to middlemen distributors.
Old 01-20-24, 01:03 PM
wheelreason

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It's hard to believe the questions in this thread are serious.
It's hard to believe the questions on this site are serious...
Old 01-20-24, 01:30 PM
Bleu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Shimano bicycle got rich/became big by selling Shimano Eagle , by the billions. Ugly, cheap, heavy but it worked. As for the stickers, any publicity is good publicity.
Old 01-20-24, 01:55 PM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Where's the PTO?
John Deere has some of the best marketing in the world, no? I literally have a children's book with all anthropomorphized John Deere products as the characters. We paid for that book. The kids loved it.
Old 01-20-24, 02:41 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Bleu
Shimano bicycle got rich/became big by selling Shimano Eagle , by the billions. Ugly, cheap, heavy but it worked. As for the stickers, any publicity is good publicity.
Shimano got rich because their early index systems were the best in the world; credit their Centeron pulley.

Campagnolo Syncho and Suntour Accushift were distant seconds and thirds. Campagnolo mountain bike groups were such a disaster that they gave up on them.

Profs to SRAM for their later mountain groups being good enough, maybe better, than Shimano.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 01-20-24, 02:50 PM
baldyphill

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I was shopping at Walmart the other day and puttered back to look at the bikes. The featured bikes on the end of the aisle had "Shimano" in big, bold letters on the frame as well as in regular-sized letters on the rear derailleurs. Now I ride with $15 Shimano Tourney derailleurs on my bike, but mine looked pretty darn fancy compared to the Walmart ones.

So what's the deal? I would call Shimano a reputable brand, so I totally understand why Walmart would want to use their logo. The thing I don't get is what exactly is in it for Shimano? Why does Shimano want their name associated with truly bottom of the barrel parts? Doesn't that harm the brand's image?
Big companies really don’t care anymore, and live off past endeavours to get them through
Old 01-20-24, 03:51 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by baldyphill
Big companies really don’t care anymore, and live off past endeavours to get them through
Because that strategy served General Motors so well in the 1970's and 1980's?
Old 01-20-24, 05:18 PM
One Wheel

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
He said Lowes was their biggest customer nationwide, so they get a cheaper price.
Tell him you'll sue him for violating the Robinson-Patman Act. It is not commonly enforced, but that is actually illegal in the US.

As to Shimano: if they can sell 1,000,000 Walmart special groupsets with a margin of $1 each, and 5,000 Dura Ace groupsets with a margin of $100 each, they're making more money at Walmart. And nobody shopping for Dura Ace is looking at Walmart but the reputation of "pros use this brand" will rub off a little bit the other way. Everybody who cares knows it's an entirely different product, nothing is being diluted.
Old 01-20-24, 05:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
I realize I didn't and neither did anyone else post this yet:
Old 01-20-24, 07:02 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
You would think, but Shimano cycling and Shimano fishing are run like 2 separate companies, and fishing is a weird segment, manufacturers sell to middlemen distributors.
You’ll find the fishing gear aisle at Walmart within sight of the bicycle aisle. My grandfather was an avid fisherman. He wasn’t a fan of anything not made in the USA, and as a WW2 vet who had fought in the Pacific, he didn’t like anything made in Japan, with one exception. And that exception was Shimano fishing reels, which he considered a big upgrade over the Zebco equipment which was most popular back then.
Old 01-20-24, 07:46 PM
wheelreason

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
You’ll find the fishing gear aisle at Walmart within sight of the bicycle aisle.
Next to the car batteries...
Old 01-20-24, 09:02 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Not so much that Shimano is selling to Walmart, but that whoever is building the Mongoose/Schwinn/Hyper bikes is putting “Shimano Equipped “ decals on those $250-$300 bikes to upsell those models from the really bargain-barrel $150 ones with SunRun or no-name 3rd party components
Old 01-20-24, 09:19 PM
Bleu

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
The real mystery is why GMC allows its brand to be put on (exclusively) garbage bikes. Especially their GMC Denali brand, which is supposed to be their upmarket trim. Why is that licensed to bottom of the barrel Wally bikes?
Most cyclists don't think of anything GMC as up scale. So no reputable bicycle manufacturer would put that crap on their product. Or were you being sarcastic?
Old 01-21-24, 12:34 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I wonder if anyone who buys a Denali thinks it is the same "GMC" brand which makes GMC cars?
Old 01-21-24, 12:48 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I wonder if anyone who buys a Denali thinks it is the same "GMC" brand which makes GMC cars?
They should call them “McKinleys.”
Likes For 50PlusCycling:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.