Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Using a fan with a trainer

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-12, 05:41 PM
simonaway427

Bikes: 2010 S1, 2011 F75X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So I finally got around to buying a decent floor fan for my training sessions. Oh my gosh, what a difference.

I know the following example isn't exactly scientific, but I think in general, it speaks to the benefits of using a fan while on the trainer.

Some points:
- workout is Sufferfest "A Very Dark Place"
- effort and cadence instructions were followed (more like attempted)
- 1st workout (in BLUE without fan) - beginning of Feb '12. 2nd workout (in RED with fan) - end of March '12
- both workouts done after supper, about 7pm

Not only has my overall speed increased, but my heart rate was overall lower, especially during recoveries. Even during periods of higher cadence with workout#2 with fan, heart rate still remained lower than workout 1.

Again, not overly scientific, as there are a myriad of factors that may have affected my performance (meals, alcohol the day before, hydration etc), but physically, I was not nearly as drained and demolished than the session without the fan.

Bottom line, invest in a darn fan.
Old 03-27-12, 06:38 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by simonaway427
Two months of training and you ascribe the change in performance to adding a fan? If that's true, what does it say about your training plan?
Old 03-27-12, 07:03 PM
simonaway427

Bikes: 2010 S1, 2011 F75X

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like I said, its not scientific, and I could very well attribute the gains to my fitness level. That said, i have no training plan, I just do it for fun.
Old 03-27-12, 08:26 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
All that said, I agree with the OP qualitatively if not quantitatively. A fan really does help. In winter, I do my roller rides in about a 50 degree room. If I didn't have a fan, it would be just awful. I leave a puddle on the floor even with a fan. I do notice a HR difference of a few beats at the same output between having the fan on and not having it on, not that different than what he has up there. Of course if you only use a PM you'd never see it. Then we could have a discussion about whether or not it mattered . . .

I think heat stress will decrease power output at a particular RPI whether one measures HR or not.
Old 03-28-12, 09:11 AM
bored117 

Bikes: Lynskey R230 DA DI2 ENVE 3.4 SES, 6KU Fixie, Cheap Aluminum Slapstick Trainer only bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
And here I was thinking... how should i get remote controlled industrial level airflow fan that can accurately give about same airflow as riding out without making me go deaf...
Old 03-28-12, 10:28 AM
anotherbrian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I can't even begin to imagine how you'd get through a Sufferfest video without a fan in the first place.

I use a box fan (20"?) that is positioned more or less above my front axle, about level with my handlebars off the floor, and tipped so I get coverage from my hands to my head while riding on the hoods.

In a ~50 degree garage, I'll leave it off, or just barely turning while I warm up, and then increase the speed as the effort increases. For a LTT'ish ride, I may only get it up to mid-speed, but any of the Sufferfest's it'll be on full for the duration.

Originally Posted by simonaway427
So I finally got around to buying a decent floor fan for my training sessions. Oh my gosh, what a difference.

I know the following example isn't exactly scientific, but I think in general, it speaks to the benefits of using a fan while on the trainer.

Some points:
- workout is Sufferfest "A Very Dark Place"
- effort and cadence instructions were followed (more like attempted)
- 1st workout (in BLUE without fan) - beginning of Feb '12. 2nd workout (in RED with fan) - end of March '12
- both workouts done after supper, about 7pm

Old 03-28-12, 11:07 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by bored117
And here I was thinking... how should i get remote controlled industrial level airflow fan that can accurately give about same airflow as riding out without making me go deaf...
And when will the personal windtunnel make it onto the market? We have $10,000 bicycles, $3,000 trainers, and have to have $2,000 worth of measuring equipment. Imagine how cool it would be to have a strain gauge on your rollers and do your workouts in a windtunnel with the gauge output on your bars computing road speed! I see IT folks lining up to buy one. I mean if Cat 4s are drugging, why not spend a few dollars on other tech solutions?
Old 03-28-12, 11:23 AM
jmccain

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Kreitler rollers. In addition to the wind-load fan (which puts out a good breeze), I use three other fans. One large floor fan about 2 feet from my head and two others on the sides. One is one of those wind-tunnel models.

I wear noise-cancelling headphones, too...
Old 03-28-12, 12:25 PM
sjvcycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by anotherbrian
I can't even begin to imagine how you'd get through a Sufferfest video without a fan in the first place..
agreed