Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery Frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mystery Frame

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-22, 04:34 PM
strathconaman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 22 Posts
Mystery Frame

Hi Everyone,

Picked up a bike in need of some love; it has nearly a full Shimano Golden Arrow group on it (which is why I bought it). The frame has been spray painted, maybe a few times. I think the original was red. I did some exploratory sanding, but I can't find any decals.

I am not sure if the parts are from the original bike. The frame was likely for 27" wheels, but has 700c Trek Matrix Titan rims laced to Maillard 500 hubs. Stem and bars are Nitto. Seatpost is SR. The crank is a Takagi AR-T. Someone has replaced the BB with a sealed unit.

As you can see, it has "sport" or "sport touring" dimensions. Seatpost is 26.6 (but a loose fit, could be 26.8 if reamed). Rear dropouts are Suntour GS.

It has a serial number: Y5L7039. And cables pass through the BB shell. If the frame matches the fork, it is from 1985.

Shimano "B" shifter bosses:

Lugs are nothing to write home about.

Fork is chromed, and based on the date, from 1985. If it is the original fork, it is the same period as the groupset. And chrome.

Last edited by strathconaman; 10-30-22 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-31-22, 10:51 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
The frame was manufactured by Yamaguchi of Japan during October 1985, while the fork is from November 1985. Both are late enough in the calendar year that it should be 1986 model year. First generation Shimano 105 (aka Golden Arrow) was manufactured for the 1983-1986 model years, so it's era appropriate and likely OEM.

A 26.6mm post is consistent with a Tange tubeset. However, the used the same gauge set tube for a number of sets, including Tange #1, #2, 900, 1000 and Infinity. Given the Golden Arrow, I doubt it's Tange #1 but the other three are possibilities.

Yamaguchi provided contract manufacturing for a number of brands but those that surface most often are Lotus, Sekai and Shogun. Offhand, I don't recall any Lotus or Sekai models that used Golden Arrow. Shogun did have a Golden Arrow model but their mid-range models from this era typically featured embossing on the stay caps. I may be able to widen the search somewhat, if you're located outside the USA.

Last edited by T-Mar; 10-31-22 at 02:28 PM. Reason: changed month to October in accordance with my Asian S/N Guide
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-31-22, 11:26 AM
strathconaman

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Yamaguchi provided contract manufacturing for a number of brands but those that surface most often are Lotus, Sekai and Shogun. Offhand, I don't recall any Lotus or Sekai models that used Golden Arrow. Shogun did have a Golden Arrow model but their mid-range models from this era typically featured embossing on the stay caps. I may be able to widen the search somewhat, if you're located outside the USA.
Thanks T-Mar. I am in Toronto, Canada. So I have been focusing on Sekai, Norco. Not much out there. At first I thought it might be a Shogun, but the cable routing at the BB shell is unlike any photos I have seen.

I can't feel any seems on the inside of the tubes.
Old 10-31-22, 02:24 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by strathconaman
Thanks T-Mar. I am in Toronto, Canada. So I have been focusing on Sekai, Norco. Not much out there. At first I thought it might be a Shogun, but the cable routing at the BB shell is unlike any photos I have seen.

I can't feel any seems on the inside of the tubes.
I have the 1986 Norco catalogue, along with 1985. There's only one Shimano equipped model and it used New 600EX. Norco owned the Sekai brand by this time, so the two brands were very similarly spec'd.

Another Yamaguchi sourced, Canadian brand was Sakai, Bloor Cycle's house brand. Again, I have both catalogues and neither show a Golden Arrow equipped model.

The third Canadian brand that sometimes sourced from Yamaguchi was Steve Bauer. However, I haven't seen a Yamaguchi model as early as 1986. So far, all the 1986 models that I've seen are Maruishi product.

Of course, there are likely other brands manufactured by Yamaguchi of which I'm not aware. There's also a small possibility that it was rebuilt using the components from a donor bicycle and that the Golden Arrow is not OEM, despite the age match. Now that I think of it, one odd feature is spec'ing a SunTour dropout on a bicycle intended for Shimano derailleurs.

I've had several bicycles from this era with seamed Tange tubesets, that have passed though my shop. The seams are virtually undetectable.
Old 11-01-22, 12:43 PM
strathconaman

Of course, there are likely other brands manufactured by Yamaguchi of which I'm not aware. There's also a small possibility that it was rebuilt using the components from a donor bicycle and that the Golden Arrow is not OEM, despite the age match. Now that I think of it, one odd feature is spec'ing a SunTour dropout on a bicycle intended for Shimano derailleurs.
I am going through this list you made some time ago:

Miyata 310
Panasonic DX-3000
Shogun 600
Maruishi Raodace RX7
Ross 292
Fastab Eagle
Raleigh Grand Prix
Miele Tempo
Bianchi San Remo

And none of them seem to line up with this frame. There does seem to be a few Bianchi's with 105 from this time, including the Brava, Sport SS, Maybe sport sx...

There is at least one Brava from 198X with this BB shell:

Which is as close as I could find to mine.

And I quote:

The Brava was a nice, mid-range model. I would certainly pay $100 for one if it was in good condition and the right size. I would proably buy it even if it didn't fit. The friction 105 group (aka Golden Arrow) is becoming semi-collectible and, providing it is in decent condition, you could easily part it out and make a profit.
Old 11-01-22, 02:25 PM
T-Mar

I am going through this list you made some time ago:

Miyata 310

Panasonic DX-3000

Shogun 600

Maruishi Raodace RX7

Ross 292

Fastab Eagle

Raleigh Grand Prix

Miele Tempo

Bianchi San Remo

And none of them seem to line up with this frame. There does seem to be a few Bianchi's with 105 from this time, including the Brava, Sport SS, Maybe sport sx...

There is at least one Brava from 198X with this BB shell:

Which is as close as I could find to mine.

And I quote:

Of the manufacturers listed, Miyata, Panasonic, Maruishi and Ross would sill have been been using their in-house manufacturing during 1983-1984. The only reason to outsource would have been if they had some sort of production problem.

Bianchi and Miele used the same Japanese source during this era. That Bianchi photo has the S/N format of their standard Japanese source during the 1980s and represents April 1988. Unfortunately we haven't been able to identify the manufacturer.

Few manufacturers had proprietary bottom bracket shells. Most were purchased from companies that specialized in frame fittings. Popular Japanese manufacturers of bottom bracket shells, included Nikko Sangyo, Eisho Seisakusho, Yamazaki, Kobayashi and Otsuya, to name but a handful. I don't see any markings on shell to identify the manufacturer
Old 11-02-22, 05:30 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Hello strathconaman,

here is another serial number and bottom bracket similar to your bicycle.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ying-bike.html

I do not profess to know the brandname that was on your bicycle.

One suggestion was Sakai brand from Bloor Cycle in Toronto. I have never seen a Sakai brand with a Yamaguchi serial number. They may exist, but I have not seen one.
Old 11-03-22, 12:00 PM
strathconaman

Originally Posted by Hummer
Hello strathconaman,

here is another serial number and bottom bracket similar to your bicycle.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ying-bike.html

I do not profess to know the brandname that was on your bicycle.

One suggestion was Sakai brand from Bloor Cycle in Toronto. I have never seen a Sakai brand with a Yamaguchi serial number. They may exist, but I have not seen one.
Thanks for this lead. Going through the Sekai database as well it looks like similar serial numbers are there.

At the end of the day, I won't ever really know. I have to decide if I am going to repaint and put a known, possible decal on it, or repaint with something novel entirely. Right now I am trying to decide if there is a dead brand that I could use that won't offend anyone.

Then again, I have always wanted to make a Freddie Merckx frame...
Likes For strathconaman:
Old 11-03-22, 12:19 PM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 191 Posts
How about a Freddy Mertz?

Thanks for this lead. Going through the Sekai database as well it looks like similar serial numbers are there.

At the end of the day, I won't ever really know. I have to decide if I am going to repaint and put a known, possible decal on it, or repaint with something novel entirely. Right now I am trying to decide if there is a dead brand that I could use that won't offend anyone.

Then again, I have always wanted to make a Freddie Merckx frame...
Old 11-03-22, 12:56 PM
strathconaman

Originally Posted by Sactown_Albert
OMG that was good for a chuckle.
Old 11-04-22, 12:29 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
. . .

Another Yamaguchi sourced, Canadian brand was Sakai, Bloor Cycle's house brand. Again, I have both catalogues and neither show a Golden Arrow equipped model.
Saving this for posterity.