Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you patch tubes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you patch tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-23, 09:09 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
That’s a whole other kettle of fish. I’ve recently tried TPU tubes and I’m much less than impressed. The weight is great but they are extremely delicate and don’t repair. I had a tire that was old and had a couple of tiny pokey things in them. One was a small piece of glass that nicked the TPU tube. I found the glass, which had been in contact with the butyl tube and hadn’t punctured it, and replaced the tube with another TPU tube. I patched the TPU tube with the contact patches according to directions…cleaned tube with alcohol swabs, applied provided pressure adhesive patch and clamped it to make sure it stuck to the tube.

Meanwhile the newly installed tube flatted. I felt around on the inside of the tire and found a barely noticeable wire in the tire. I discarded the tire, got a new one, and installed the first patched tube. I patched the other tube.

Next morning, the tire was flat. I installed the other patched tube and took the first one with me to check it at the shop. It was leaking like a sieve around the patch. The patch was completely ineffective. Maybe I did something wrong, so I peeled off the patch, washed it throughly with alcohol, installed a new patch. Meanwhile, the other tube when flat in the 4 hours I was at the shop. I changed it…again…installed the other tube, patched it…again!… and headed home. Less than 3 miles on, the patch failed yet again. By my count that 2 flats from minor punctures that didn’t puncture the butyl tube and 5 flats from patch failures.

Perhaps there are better ways to fix the TPU tube but, at this point, I’m not impressed enough with their supposed puncture superiority to figure that out. They may be faster and they may roll easier but if they are flat all the time, they aren’t.

Again, not impressed.
So far so good. A few hundred miles on the TPU tube and no issues with punctures or holding air. My back up tube is a Conti Race tube and I carry the Park Tool glueless patch kit with me.
Old 08-08-23, 09:31 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I’m on the road in a similar time frame since I try not to patch on the side of the road. If I have to patch, add 5 minutes or less to the task.

Well if time is an issue, I don’t have to remove the patched tube when I get home. I don’t have to remove it until I get another flat and, after patching at my leisure, I have another spare tube to use when I do get a flat.
Heck, I made a habit of waiting until I had 4 or 5 flat tubes before I just spend half an hour on a rainy day fixing them all. It avoided the fluid going dry before the next use.
Old 08-08-23, 09:56 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Some times you waste your Sundays during Covid patching.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-08-23, 10:30 AM
BLRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been patching tubes since the 70's, don't see stopping anytime soon.
Old 08-09-23, 08:02 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I always carry a spare tube and a patch kit. If I have a flat during a ride into the country with friends, I replace the tube. When we arrive to our destination, I patch the punctured tube while we chat and eat something. It's very rare to have problems with patches, maybe 1 in 100 in my case. I've used tubes with more than 15 patches, one nearer to 20.