Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I'd like to have 3 bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I'd like to have 3 bikes

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-23, 06:15 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
I have a primary road bike (Lynskey), two backup road bikes (Bianchi or Cannondale, depending on which coast), and a commuter bike that is mostly a flat bar gravel bike (road rear tire and cassette, easy enough to swap out if I wanted to turn it into a gravel rig).

It took 14 years to acquire my second bike, and only four years to acquire the next two.

Given where I am for the next year (Northern CA), I’d love to give gravel a serious shake at some point, or even dip my toe back into XC - haven’t done any MTBing since high school. But I don’t think my wife wants any more bikes in the garage…
Old 09-16-23, 08:11 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
I am fortunate to have the wherewithal to own however many bikes I decide I should have (except for the space limitations in my basement)

One thing I find essential is to have two road bikes, both ready to go.

For example, I wake up in the morning and am headed out to a group ride and find that bike #1 has a flat tire (even though it wasn't flat the night before). I grab the other bike and go, without missing the ride. Or, bike#1 has a mechanical problem and it will take a few days (or longer) to source the part. I'm still good.

Bike #2 was my main road bike until I bought Bike #1. i am very glad that I kept the older bike. It still gets used.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 09-16-23, 09:57 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Trainer bike just means finding a 15-20yo, 2x10 speed road bike in generally good condition. My wife leaves her 2006 trek pilot permanently on the trainer and hasn't removed it in 3 years despite how nice the bike is, and it is nice.

Getting by with three just doesn't work, you're missing the mtb, single speed, tourer, and track bike. Note, track bike and singlespeed are not the same thing. Track is for the track with narrow tires and no brakes. Single speed should be able to fit us to a 38c, can be heavy, and have brakes. A hybrid is also nice to keep around for those rides with people who just ride bikes but aren't into heavy or fast riding. I actually need that road bike though, I've got mine and my daughter's road/cross bikes set up with cross tires and would have preferred a road ride today but wasn't going to waste time swapping tires.
Old 09-27-23, 05:32 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Trainer bike just means finding a 15-20yo, 2x10 speed road bike in generally good condition. My wife leaves her 2006 trek pilot permanently on the trainer and hasn't removed it in 3 years despite how nice the bike is, and it is nice.

or 44qci bike.
Getting by with three just doesn't work, you're missing the mtb, single speed, tourer, and track bike. Note, track bike and singlespeed are not the same thing. Track is for the track with narrow tires and no brakes. Single speed should be able to fit us to a 38c, can be heavy, and have brakes. A hybrid is also nice to keep around for those rides with people who just ride bikes but aren't into heavy or fast riding. I actually need that road bike though, I've got mine and my daughter's road/cross bikes set up with cross tires and would have preferred a road ride today but wasn't going to waste time swapping tires.
No...for me, 3 bikes would be ideal. I do not ride MTB. I do not tour, I have no interest in single speed (or fixed gear) nor do I want or have ever wanted a track bike.

I was perfectly clear in my desires.

However, I absolutely agree with the requirements for a trainer bike. That is pretty much my 5hink7nf aoe9.
Old 10-01-23, 10:22 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I now use an “All Road” bike (think Gravel Light) with fast 38mm slicks for all my paved and gravel road riding. Sold the dedicated pavement bike.

That got me down to 4 bikes
  • All Road
  • Commuter/utility
  • Fat Bike
  • FS MTB
Old 10-01-23, 11:03 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Exactly. All you need to be able to do is replicate your position on your road bike, reasonably close. And trainer tires can be tires you'd no longer trust on the road - that's how I do it.
And if the trainer is direct drive, even easier.

I have 3 bikes for this exact reason (well, and another one but who’s counting) but now my daughter wants to use the trainer so I have to keep swapping frames (my son does too but luckily he has the same size frame as me)

so now I’m thinking I need two trainers.
Likes For choddo:
Old 10-04-23, 12:36 AM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
I'd like to have three bikes.
Three has been the perfect number for much of our existence. It's a good number.

I currently have six, or two sets of three, which may be one set too many. But that number makes it more fun to both ride and tinker.
Old 10-04-23, 04:28 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
Another 3 bike data point: (1) Midlife crisis carbon road bike for hilly and long road rides; (2) What these days is called a gravel bike, for riding with my wife and doing rides/tours on gravel/rail trails etc. and (3) 30 year old Trek 520 that most of the time sits in the basement on a trainer for Zwift rides.

I did (N + 1 -2) to get down to 3 from 4 by donating some beloved old classic bikes - well, two old Schwinns that were classic to me...

Last edited by jpescatore; 10-04-23 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-04-23, 04:36 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Don't feel bad. I was lusting over a Red, restored, Schwinn Paramount I saw on E-Bay. You talk about sexy!!! Anyway, I told my wife and she did not think I was funny. "You have enought bikes now", she said. She is right. I have too many now. "I can look, right" I said to her. So it goes.
Old 10-04-23, 11:09 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Three has been the perfect number for much of our existence. It's a good number.

I currently have six, or two sets of three, which may be one set too many. But that number makes it more fun to both ride and tinker.
I think what you need is three sets of three to make it even. A primary road bike, gravel bike, and mountain bike. Obviously, a backup one of each. And then I would say a hobby/non sport category: a steel rim brake road bike for leisurely rides or touring, something that you can run errands in (with a basket or pannier), and maybe a cruiser for riding along the beach or heading to coffee in town.

Yes, three sets of three.
Old 10-11-23, 07:02 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by baj32161
1: my current gravel/cross bike
2: a dedicated road bike
3: a backup road bike to keep permanently mounted on my trainer

Being poor sucks.

Well, actually, I am not poor but I do not have a lot of disposable income. What I do have tends to go to travel.

Oh well.

Please pardon my typo....far thumbs,😁
Only three? Underachiever.
Old 10-13-23, 07:39 AM
cweb99

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
I have 3 would like me more
Allez: My all round road bike
MTB: for MTBing and riding with family
Single speed: beater for around town short rides and going to the brewery. Although I recently stopped drinking so this doesn’t get ridden much
looking to get and endurance or gravel bike for long rides and uphills.
Old 10-13-23, 08:32 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Yowza ! I could live with three. Well, maybe four. Yeah, I could live with four ..... or five. Six would be okay too .....
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 10-13-23, 09:47 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
A thought that might require a mind re-train. Really good road bikes have been made forever. Bikes that ride like a dream, extract every fiber of muscle and will power out of you simply because they are are that much fun to ride fast. The 1976 Fuji Pro I raced long ago was one of those bikes. So is the '83 Pro Miyata I have now; a frame that cost me $200. The whole bike might be $800 (US) now. Now these bikes weigh 21 pounds, are not aero at all, have brakes that won't allow curvy downhills at F1 like speeds with last second braking and indexing is limited to your two first fingers.

I rode the Miyata for last month's Cycle Oregon. Sublime. (Well, the gravel they didn't tell us about that hit 17% both up and down wasn't on the 23c rear tire. Put a foot down going up and a body down on the other side.) The bike of my avatar photo; the fix gear has done Cycle Oregon 4 times. Yes, it is an expensive custom ti bike. (Fit for off the shelf bikes is an issue for me. Some pure race bikes fit me near out of the box like both the Fuji and the Miyata - with a 145mm stem - but not most bikes. And I fell in love with the ti ride on my quick spin on a Merlin 33 years ago. But a quality race frame of the 1970s or '80s; set up fix gear would have served me just as well if I have been issued standard length arms and legs. $200 instead of 4k.)

Another data point. Years ago, when I lived in Settle, I went to an event at the Marymoor Velodrome. At a slow time, spectators were allowed to take some of the bikes around the track. I did a couple of laps on a 1930s track bike. Miserable heavy clinchers and way too small for me but ... it was very obvious that bike was all there! Put race wheels on it (from any era you want) and it would be a flyer!

Do you have a coop nearby? Or quality shop with used bikes? Perhaps you can enlist them to have their eyes out for "the ride". And yes, a solo century on that ride will take 15 minutes longer than the same century on the brand new $6k bike. Fast group rides will be harder and perhaps not possible to not get dropped. Deal breaker? That's up to you. The grin after that6 solo century? Just as big, maybe more so with that 40 yo gem under you.