Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Should I "Hoard" Mechanical High End Parts?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Should I "Hoard" Mechanical High End Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-23, 11:40 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Is it premature to hoard 11-speed Di2 derailleurs?
Old 11-28-23, 10:29 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Is it premature to hoard 11-speed Di2 derailleurs?
Probably appropriate to (ahem) stockpile them if you plan to keep riding the same bike for more than 3-4 years.

One problem with electronic shifters is that it's going to be much more difficult for an alternate supplier (like Microshift) to clone them down the road. What level of bike do you consider what logisticians call "Line Replaceable Unit?" The whole bike, the shifter, the entire shifting system, etc.?
Old 11-28-23, 10:34 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Probably appropriate to (ahem) stockpile them if you plan to keep riding the same bike for more than 3-4 years.

One problem with electronic shifters is that it's going to be much more difficult for an alternate supplier (like Microshift) to clone them down the road. What level of bike do you consider what logisticians call "Line Replaceable Unit?" The whole bike, the shifter, the entire shifting system, etc.?
It is a 2014 custom steel bike, with the peculiarity of having QR and disc brakes, so adapting this to 12-speed would possibly involve making two costly wheel-sets obsolete (unless I am missing something). The wheels have Chris King and White Industries rear hubs. My current plan is to keep riding this bike as long as I am physically able to do so (which with some luck may be 10 or 20 years).
Old 11-28-23, 02:06 PM
pdlamb

It is a 2014 custom steel bike, with the peculiarity of having QR and disc brakes, so adapting this to 12-speed would possibly involve making two costly wheel-sets obsolete (unless I am missing something). The wheels have Chris King and White Industries rear hubs. My current plan is to keep riding this bike as long as I am physically able to do so (which with some luck may be 10 or 20 years).
Balancing the cost of a custom bike against the cost of a set of shifters ... heck, get 'em and put 'em on the shelf. I spent a couple hundred 12-15 years ago for some 9-speed brifters that're still waiting to go on the bike, but the peace of mind is well worth it (for me).
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-28-23, 02:33 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Balancing the cost of a custom bike against the cost of a set of shifters ... heck, get 'em and put 'em on the shelf. I spent a couple hundred 12-15 years ago for some 9-speed brifters that're still waiting to go on the bike, but the peace of mind is well worth it (for me).
I bought some backup Di2 shifters/brakes when I found them on sale for $199. Then I built up another bike around them.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 11-28-23, 02:53 PM
pdlamb

I bought some backup Di2 shifters/brakes when I found them on sale for $199. Then I built up another bike around them.
Oops!