Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why are bike tires getting so expensive?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why are bike tires getting so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-23, 03:11 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I'm running low on popcorn....

And I thought Bike Lube and Carbon Bike threads were contentious.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 04-03-23, 03:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Seems to me that tubular tires, which were always thought of as superior, were always really expensive, whereas clinchers, which were lousy by comparison, were cheap, but as clincher tires got better, they became more expensive, and the best are now up in the stratosphere with tubulars.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-03-23, 04:01 PM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Seems to me that tubular tires, which were always thought of as superior, were always really expensive, whereas clinchers, which were lousy by comparison, were cheap, but as clincher tires got better, they became more expensive, and the best are now up in the stratosphere with tubulars.
Funny thing is that Veloflex sew-ups seems to retail about what they always were (~$100ish) or even a bit less. The only reason I had a cheap stash is that in the early 2000s is that there were two gray market importers.
Old 04-03-23, 06:28 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
​​​​​​...​but as clincher tires got better, they became more expensive, and the best are now up in the stratosphere with tubulars.
Having cut my teeth in the mid-1970's on "sew-ups" as we called them where I lived, I agree. I ran a set of Challenge Strada Biancas on one of my bikes a couple of years ago with latex tubes. The ride was as smooth as any sew-up I ran back in the day and they even had that swish-swish sound on the pavement under acceleration. They sure weren't cheap to ride with latex tubes to boot but the ride was just amazing.
Old 04-04-23, 07:24 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
I'm running low on popcorn....

And I thought Bike Lube and Carbon Bike threads were contentious.
Have you been to the grocery store lately? Have you seen the price of popcorn??

Likes For pdlamb:
Old 04-04-23, 08:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
When I became a serious cyclist I often rode with a guy who ran tubulars. That was in the early 90s. I can’t remember what they cost, but I do remember they were really expensive compared to good clinchers of the day.
Old 04-04-23, 01:24 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
IIRC, I paid about $15 for run of the mill tubulars in the mid 1970s. That would be $90+ these days. But, today for $50ish you can get clinchers that are worlds better than those 70s tubulars. You get much more tire for your money now, IMO.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-04-23, 02:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
IIRC, I paid about $15 for run of the mill tubulars in the mid 1970s. That would be $90+ these days. But, today for $50ish you can get clinchers that are worlds better than those 70s tubulars. You get much more tire for your money now, IMO.
+1.

The tires I tour and commute on are about $55 each. The last flat a got on tour was in 2017. Two others during day rides. One of those was due to a small, sharp piece of sheet metal that would have punctured any tire, I was close enough to home that I could walk.
Old 04-04-23, 02:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Saving 5 - 10 bucks by ordering online and having to wait 2 weeks or longer for a set of tires is not something that I like doing. I prefer to walk in my local store and get the tires I want right away, Never purchased anything online yet, I always shop in person
I love this post. It is so classically you that I just love it!

- I save significantly more than $5-10 per tire buying online rather than in the shops.
- I have never waited 2 weeks for tires purchased online. I havent even waited 1 week. Ive bought plenty of tires from across the pond(England, Germany, Spain) and even those delivered in under 1 week.
- My local shops dont have the tires I like so I cant just walk in and buy them right away.
- The handful of things I have special ordered from 2 shops have actually taken 1 week or longer to deliver. One shop only places orders on Tuesday morning, so if you order Tuesday afternoon, itll be at least next Thursday before the product arrives. Hmm...that doesnt fit your narrative. Both shops have forgotten to place orders before so I waited an entire extra week. I kept the orders with them because I didnt need the stuff right away and I like to do some business with both shops due to a couple community based reasons. Neither shop is actually good at special ordering though.

One of the shops sells Rene Herse tires at the same price as online. So if I rode those, I would definitely buy them from the shop- more convenient and no waiting.
Old 04-04-23, 02:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
I just paid $105 for a set of 28mm GP5000s.

Less than the cost of a blah/so-so dinner out with the wife.
I think this post speaks more to the fact that you will spend over $105 for a so-so meal. A so-so meal costs $45 with tip right now where I live. I am sure it could cost more too, but if its only going to be so-so, why spend more?
Anyways, thats what stuck out to me.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-04-23, 03:35 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 04-04-23, 03:57 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I love this post. It is so classically you that I just love it!

- I save significantly more than $5-10 per tire buying online rather than in the shops.
- I have never waited 2 weeks for tires purchased online. I havent even waited 1 week. Ive bought plenty of tires from across the pond(England, Germany, Spain) and even those delivered in under 1 week.
- My local shops dont have the tires I like so I cant just walk in and buy them right away.
- The handful of things I have special ordered from 2 shops have actually taken 1 week or longer to deliver. One shop only places orders on Tuesday morning, so if you order Tuesday afternoon, itll be at least next Thursday before the product arrives. Hmm...that doesnt fit your narrative. Both shops have forgotten to place orders before so I waited an entire extra week. I kept the orders with them because I didnt need the stuff right away and I like to do some business with both shops due to a couple community based reasons. Neither shop is actually good at special ordering though.

One of the shops sells Rene Herse tires at the same price as online. So if I rode those, I would definitely buy them from the shop- more convenient and no waiting.
For maximum effect, you have to put it together with another post, in which he discusses waiting sooo long for his LBS to get some tires he wanted...And finally having to go to another shop and buy some other tires at a higher price. 'Course, he likely could've gotten the tires he wanted within a few days by ordering online -- but wolfboy don't play that game!

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I've always been an in store shopper and never purchased anything from Amazon yet so I can't judge their customer service....I did have a bad experience with ordering tires from one of my local bike shops. One time I was looking for certain type of tires and my LBS didn't have them in store but their supplier had them in stock, so I paid full price up front and ordered them. They told me it usually takes 3 - 10 business days for it to arrive for pick up... 2 weeks went by no tires, 3 weeks went by no tires, 1 month goes by and the tires weren't even shipped from the supplier yet. So I canceled the order went to the tire section at my LBS and picked a different set of tires that were very similar to what I was originally looking for. I had to pay extra because the other tires were more expensive. I don't have a problem with paying a little extra if I can get what I am looking for without having to wait forever and ever.
For the umpteenth time: if you choose to pay more for tires because of your shopping preferences, or because you're too busy or too lazy to do a quick google search, perhaps you shouldn't complain about paying high prices.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-04-23, 04:17 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Same. I'm in the suburbs of the 2nd largest city in the nation, with 5 well-stocked, busy, bike shops within 15 minutes of my house. None of them had the tires I wanted for my gravel bike. The best price I found was from Lordgun (Italy). They were in my hands in 6 calendar days, including an extra day longer than expected in customs.
Old 04-04-23, 04:22 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
I think this post speaks more to the fact that you will spend over $105 for a so-so meal. A so-so meal costs $45 with tip right now where I live. I am sure it could cost more too, but if its only going to be so-so, why spend more?
Anyways, thats what stuck out to me.
Being out to dinner with the wife may be more important than what the meal cost.
Old 04-04-23, 04:24 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
I just got another price drop alert from camelcamelcamel informing me the price of the Continental GP5000 Black Walls dropped a penny to $40.16 on Amazon. The other reseller on Amazon dropped the price by a penny to $39.96 from yesterday’s price. Amazon must have an automatic price algorithm that sets and adjusts its price to its competitors’s price.

Old 04-08-23, 04:19 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
Sew-ups cost as much as car tires in the '70s, and people couldn't believe it then, either.
Yep, this is true!
Old 04-10-23, 05:05 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
I got a little tear in one of my tires and shopping for a replacement. Thinking it would be a good time to upgrade to tubeless but was surprised by the price of these new type of tires. Wow some of them are over $100! I can get car tires for these prices. Most of the decent ones can be had for about $60 or so. I could go for cheaper but that would be no fun. Is money no object with this biking hobby?

I think I might go down in quality to save a few bucks. I'm not racing or anything just an average rider riding for exercise and fun...
Tires are not getting so expensive, there are more expensive bike tires available but basic tires are inexpensive inflation adjusted than decades ago and the quality is better.
Likes For LeeG:
Old 04-10-23, 09:17 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,841 Times in 2,232 Posts
I would maintain that the premise of: Good tires getting expensive = totally false.

....but you must buy On Sale ($70 SOMA Vitesse 33-622 was just 1/2 price = bought 4) and buy from UK/EU (Merlin cycles GP5000 2tires+tubes = $86.50usd).

I still have some Veloflex tubulars 25mm &27mm purchased @ ~$55 ea.

edit: A.Dugast (made in Netherlands (custom builds & odd sizes optional)) make some of the World's finest tubulars = can be purchased in the €73-85 range from the factory. With .92 exchange rate, most of the tires I would buy are ~$82.usd, so well below that $100 figure thrown out earlier.

the other thing to consider is that those 2 tires keep your ride pleasant and safe - checked the price of a pair of quality running shoes? RunnersWorld's top shoes had one pair at $92, everything else was above $100+, without socks or custom footbeds..

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-10-23 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-11-23, 11:26 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Are bicycle tires covered by the Defense Production Act? I must have missed the Executive Order.

Essentially, it's a statute that bans going above a normal market price in times of emergency when the good is declared by the President to be scarce and critical to the national defense. It's really prohibiting black market activity. And it's also really hard to determine what is meant by normal market price.

There's a definition there, but it isn't really relevant to anything we're discussing here. ON the state level, this is "charging $20 a pint for bottled water after a hurricane" type stuff.
And there's the essence of it: the reason that no one can define "price gouging" (and the reason why such laws are all over the map) is that the normal market price is whatever a good is selling for at a given moment. And after some calamity -- some supply shock or sudden increase in demand -- that normal market price is much higher...As it needs to be in order to prevent shortages.
Old 04-11-23, 11:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
And there's the essence of it: the reason that no one can define "price gouging" (and the reason why such laws are all over the map) is that the normal market price is whatever a good is selling for at a given moment. And after some calamity -- some supply shock or sudden increase in demand -- that normal market price is much higher...As it needs to be in order to prevent shortages.
The DPA isn't about preventing shortages, it's about coping with them when they can't be prevented.

The DPA is a direct descendant of WWII rationing. It's really all about price fixing during emergencies where allowing the free market to operate will likely cause a bunch of death. Arguably, OPA rationing combined with price fixing during WWII prevented widespread hunger while preventing rampant inflation. Obviously, there was some black market activity, but it was nowhere near enough to prevent the poorer people from being able to obtain food. At the height of the war, about 90% of the food supply had its price fixed. That couldn't have been sustained in the long run, but it worked pretty well to get the economy through the war..

Here's a fun artifact:

https://americanhistory.si.edu/colle...t/nmah_1313316
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-11-23, 01:40 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
And after some calamity -- some supply shock or sudden increase in demand -- that normal market price is much higher...As it needs to be in order to prevent shortages.
In other words, only rich people can afford necessities .... and that is good?

Shortages are not stopped by high prices. When say, drinkable water or plywood or whatever goes sky-high it is Due to shortages (demand exceeds supply) and the high prices are the sellers capitalizing on the shortages by raping the buyers .... the high prices do not Prevent shortages, they are the Result of shortages.

Not sure where some people live but it sure ain't on Earth ......
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-11-23, 01:57 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Shortages are not stopped by high prices.
As any B-student in an intro to econ course understands, rising prices are the most reliable means of eliminating shortages.
Old 04-11-23, 03:09 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
As any B-student in an intro to econ course understands, rising prices are the most reliable means of eliminating shortages.
Right ... of course. If there is no food, don't grow more .... raise prices. Suddenly there is abundant food, right?

The THEORY is that if the prices go high enough, it will support the higher shipping costs to bring in resources from far away .... but when Nobody has excess .... well, tell me, what happened when the pandemic hit? Was there suddenly a surfeit of masks and other personal protection gear because of high prices?

Anyone who thinks Econ 101 describes the world accurately ... is free to do so.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-11-23, 03:33 PM
Koyote

Right ... of course. If there is no food, don't grow more .... raise prices. Suddenly there is abundant food, right?
What do you think producers, including farmers, actually respond to? What induces them to produce more of an item?
Old 04-12-23, 12:09 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts

The THEORY is that if the prices go high enough, it will support the higher shipping costs to bring in resources from far away .... but when Nobody has excess .... well, tell me, what happened when the pandemic hit? Was there suddenly a surfeit of masks and other personal protection gear because of high prices?

Anyone who thinks Econ 101 describes the world accurately ... is free to do so.
Rising prices send a signal to increase production.

It might hurt in the short run, but it’s needed in the long run.

When the West responds to a famine by sending tons of food, it is true that immediate starvation is avoided.

However, the local farmer can not give his product away for free and is thus disincentivized from going through the process to make next years crop. The local farmer may even be unable to afford to buy the seed or fertilizer to keep going, because he couldn’t compete with free.

So in giving free food, another famine is all but guaranteed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.