Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are the biggest wastes of time in bike maintenance?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What are the biggest wastes of time in bike maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-23, 04:16 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Indefinitely, nothing. But having to add air everyday is ridiculous. With butyl tubes, once a week is enough for road tires, every two weeks for gravel tires.
PeteHski said "they lose a little air over a few days". That has been my experience with tubeless, as well as butyl tubes. How much "a little" is might vary some. Even if there is a rideable pressure in my tires, I top them off because my tendency is to be pretty consistent with tire pressures, and (as I described before) it might easily be a week between consecutive rides on the same bike. Topping off is just part of my routine to get ready to ride.
Old 04-05-23, 04:20 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
Washing / waxing / tuning my bike buddy's bike for his birthday.
Washing / waxing / tuning my other bike buddy's bike for his first post surgery ride.
But hey, it makes them smile to see it all clean and ready to go.

Picture is prior to his first ride after surgery, I just had to goof with it.
The fresh bar tape is under the pink ribbon.. Made us all smile.

Goofing with my buddy after servicing his bike.

I guess it wasn't a waste after all!

Barry
Spending any time whatsoever, for whatever trivial or important reason, on a kid's or partner's bike is never a waste of time!
Likes For Camilo:
Old 04-05-23, 04:21 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Another reason I don't do tubeless.
It's better than changing tubes at the roadside, which I haven't done for many years now.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-05-23, 04:22 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by genejockey
I've gotten to the point where I only need things done that require specialized tools, like headset and cartridge bottom bracket installations.
And there's simple, inexpensive DIY tools for that too.
Old 04-05-23, 04:28 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by MaxKatt
Relieved to see this. Riding 20 years, but still not an expert here. I've maintained a stable of road/Mtb/gravel bikes for me and the girlfriend for 20 years and have always pumped us both up pre-ride every time. I shudder to think of cumulative time waste if this was ruled "waste."
exactly the same here, except my girlfriend is also my wife

Indefinitely, nothing. But having to add air everyday is ridiculous. With butyl tubes, once a week is enough for road tires, every two weeks for gravel tires.
I think it's more like every ride not every day. Because with multiple bikes and/or sporadic riding, it can be several days or more between rides for any particular bike. My wife has two bikes and between them rides 5 or so times per week. I don't believe she actually "must" check and top off pressure every time she rides one or the other, but it's the best habit to get into. No judgement involved. Riding the bike? Hook up the pump every time and top it off to the target pressure, even if it's every day. Just a habit to eliminate any judgement and remembering when this particular bike was ridden. I don't want a pinch flat, and believe me, I really don't want her to get one!

Last edited by Camilo; 04-05-23 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-05-23, 04:35 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Camilo
Looking for the large tools you just had in your hand 10 seconds ago.
The biggest waste of time for me is picking up tools and parts off the floor that I've dropped and/or searching the area for the little part that hit the floor and bounced away. I spend WAY too much time crawling around on my hands and knees. It doesn't help at all that my eyesight is not getting better as the years tick by.
Old 04-05-23, 04:40 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
With tubeless there's bit of variation between the tire you use and how good a seal you manage to get. However I've found that tubeless tends to hold pressure better than butyl tubes. At least the higher performance ones. The thick touring tubes hold air almost indefinitely, but they also transform any tire into a garden hose.
Old 04-05-23, 04:40 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by Eric F
The biggest waste of time for me is picking up tools and parts off the floor that I've dropped and/or searching the area for the little part that hit the floor and bounced away. I spend WAY too much time crawling around on my hands and knees. It doesn't help at all that my eyesight is not getting better as the years tick by.
I use a bright light and have assembled a small collection of magnets for sweeping large and small areas. And I try to listen very carefully when the tiny thing hits the floor and what it bounces off of.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 04-05-23, 04:44 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I use a bright light and have assembled a small collection of magnets for sweeping large and small areas. And I try to listen very carefully when the tiny thing hits the floor and what it bounces off of.
My work area has thin carpet. No bouncy noises. Magnets sounds like a wise step for me. I remain baffled by how often I manage to drop stuff, though. It's kind of ridiculous some days. Swapping out a stem last night, I dropped my 4mm t-handle allen wrench 3 times, and stem bolts twice - same bolt.
Old 04-05-23, 05:01 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2243 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
exactly the same here, except my girlfriend is also my wife
I find it is best to have both.

That way, I can tell my wife I am with my girlfriend, and I can tell my girlfriend I am with my wife.

That frees up a lot of time to go for a bike ride.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-05-23, 05:02 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Do all of your repairs over a white living room carpet.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-05-23, 05:03 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
It just seems like complaining about something you yourself don't do is a bigger waste of time then pumping up your tires.
Get real. Participating in these threads is a big waste of time. But somehow, we're all here.
Old 04-05-23, 05:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Looking for the large tools you just had in your hand 10 seconds ago.
Looking for large tools that are still in your hand.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-05-23, 05:08 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Another good way to find stuff you dropped is to put a high powered flashlight against the floor and "screen" it around. It's amazing how far from the original location I have found stuff.
Old 04-05-23, 05:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

There's an old joke about watchmaking. A watchmaker is retiring after 30 years in the business. At the party, he talks about the 20 years he spent working on watches. When someone says , "But you've been a watchmaker for 30 years! ", he replies," Yeah. 20 years working on watches. 10 years crawling around on the floor looking for parts. "
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-05-23, 05:13 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Do all of your repairs over a white living room carpet.
While I understand this suggestion from a practical standpoint, there are some major flaws in this plan. The biggest being my aversion to being murdered in my sleep by my wife.
Old 04-05-23, 05:14 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

The quick link is ... quick.

Yup. It doesn't get dirty because ... wax.

Liquid wax cleans it. That is the 10 second swirl step.

No need.

It just flakes off. No need to do anything.

The only hassle is removing whatever they pack the chain in when it is new, but you (or at least I) would do that before any kind of lube.
Two questions. 1) How many miles between these hot wax treatments? 2) How many miles do you get out of a chain before you have to replace it.

And I call BS on it not getting dirty. Wax becomes gummy.
Old 04-05-23, 05:17 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I don't feel like any of the time I spend on any of my hobbies is wasted. But in the spirit of the thread, removing a fixed cup during bottom bracket service.

Old 04-05-23, 05:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Get real. Participating in these threads is a big waste of time. But somehow, we're all here.
Well, I personally am home sick, so I have time to waste.

That doesn't explain all my OTHER participation, of course!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-05-23, 05:23 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

While I understand this suggestion from a practical standpoint, there are some major flaws in this plan. The biggest being my aversion to being murdered in my sleep by my wife.
You think she'd wait that long?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-05-23, 05:24 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I find it is best to have both.

That way, I can tell my wife I am with my girlfriend, and I can tell my girlfriend I am with my wife.

That frees up a lot of time to go for a bike ride.
You're full of good ideas today.

In related news...I was at my fittest while I was between wives. Just a coincidence, I guess.
Old 04-05-23, 05:26 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

You think she'd wait that long?
Yes. It would be very carefully planned.
Old 04-05-23, 06:46 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Two questions. 1) How many miles between these hot wax treatments?
For me, about 300 miles. I avoid riding in the rain, FWIW, but I get a lot of spray from the road.

2) How many miles do you get out of a chain before you have to replace it.
I use three at a time, so I still haven't made it to EOL with any of these. So far I have about 9000 miles on them combined, so > 3,000 per chain. Shimano XTR/Dura Ace 11-speed.

Before I switched over, I blew through cassettes and even the smaller chainring on my crankset. I no longer have that problem. Longer chain life is nice, but it was the short life of cassettes that was killing me.

And I call BS on it not getting dirty. Wax becomes gummy.
I'm being 100% straight with you. I am not a wax salesperson. I genuinely don't care what anyone does with their drivetrain unless I have to touch it.

​​​​​​​I've had gummy build-up with Squirt, but never with melted paraffin (no additives). I ride in CA coastal sandy conditions, and gummy wax would be almost as bad as any adhesive wet lube.
Old 04-05-23, 07:04 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Chain waxing rituals are a total waste.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-05-23, 07:08 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
As is the case with films, the sequel is rarely as good as the original.
Likes For indyfabz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.