Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are the biggest wastes of time in bike maintenance?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What are the biggest wastes of time in bike maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-23, 12:01 AM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Any serious nuclear power waxes their missiles.
Internet winner!
Old 04-24-23, 12:54 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
You guessed it. WD-40 is mostly mineral spirits, with just a dash of 10W oil (if my memory hasn't failed).

It was originally formulated to spray over ICBMs to prevent corrosion.
There must be a mil spec Boshield now.
Likes For LeeG:
Old 04-24-23, 02:45 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Washing my bike with soap. When it is really dirty I just hose it off with hot water. Thorough cleaning happens once a year during winter maintenance. I keep the chain lubed, and the stanchions of my shocks wiped off. That's about it.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-24-23, 03:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I do so much wrong I am continually amazed that my bikes work at all. When I come home from a wet ride I wash the bike with a moderate mist from my garden home and blast a jet through the brake shoes and inside the fenders. Park it inside leaning on the work table to drip dry. Hang it later or the next day.

Chains - run them through a cloth periodically and before and after oiling. Oil each pin at the plates with a drop of TriFlo or Finish Line MTB wet (my winter/rain/city bikes). OK, it takes me a few minutes to oil the chain. All the rest is fast. Chain comes off when it flunks the ruler check. Every once in a while I'll take a dirty chain that is already off a bike and toss it in a PB jar with solvent and start over. But in general, my chains are dirty except looking quick wipe acceptable.

I've never noticed appreciably longer chain life or better personal life spending more time, money or attention to my chains. So I've stopped doing more.
Likes For 79pmooney: