Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

"Cycling tax"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-23, 11:20 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,438 Times in 2,764 Posts
^^^But if you started a thread like that you'd get zero attention.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-10-23, 11:23 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
^^^But if you started a thread like that you'd get zero attention.
You mean a thread with actual...facts?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-10-23, 11:28 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,438 Times in 2,764 Posts
Yep, this way (s)he's got 9 pages and counting.
Old 04-12-23, 05:10 AM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Let me introduce you to my wife's world of homemade cards. That is the grand canyon of money pits that the biking world only dreams of becoming. I could have bought 10 of the most expensive bikes on today's market based on the amount of money she has spent on that stuff. We turned a bedroom into her craft room, I redesigned and rebuilt the laundry room to create a larger storage closet for her craft room. The cost of your co2 cartridges should be celebrated and a dance of joy by all. If I had one wish in life, it would be that the home made card market never was.

Now on the flip side.... she enjoys it, is damn talented and has about 10 people that pay her to make their holiday\birthday\ect cards for them, and I would change nothing due to the joy it brings her.
Here are some that she was testing some new watercolor and alcohol ink pens she wanted to try out.

Don't bring up quilting or stained glass.
Likes For BobsPoprad:
Old 04-14-23, 11:57 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
And yet many bike shops do mark up their prices and sell their stock at higher prices than what you can get online and their business is thriving...and people still go there and buy stuff from them. Majority of people still prefer in - store shopping instead of shopping online. A couple of regulars here on this list who prefer online shopping don't represent the shopping preferences of majority of consumers out there.
The LBS have the advantage of convenience. You could go home and order whatever Amazon has for less, but you might have to wait a few days (even with Prime, a lot of the bike stuff is not eligible for 2-day shipping).

Your LBS will also have the thing you need to get back on the road (a chain, a tire, a cable, a brake pad), they just may not have the brand-specific one for your bike (KMC chains instead of shimano/sram, eg).
Old 04-14-23, 01:25 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I bought my son's mountain bike from the local Giant shop during the height of the pandemic, but other than that, I don't remember the last time I bought anything for myself from a LBS. The prices are too high and they certainly don't stock what I need, since I have an older bike. Tools, tires, tubes, clothes, replacement bolts, components, handlebar tape--everything has been purchased on-line for years now. There is nothing I need "right this second," so there is no advantage of convenience.

I suspect this will be the way of the future, with younger folks buying almost exclusively on-line. My 16-year-old son has upgraded his bike with a few things since we bought it, including new pedals and frame bag--all purchased on-line by him.

I used to work in a shop and have some understanding of the market forces at work, and I sympathize with the owners and employees. However, other than being able to get bike boxes for free for kids' projects, the local shop offers nothing to me, I'm sorry to say.

Last edited by smd4; 04-14-23 at 01:32 PM.