Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

If you will lie about something small.... A Salsa Story

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-23, 07:52 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts

About three weeks ago I bought a Salsa Journeyer Apex-1 from a long standing local bike shop of excellent repute. The very first ride the left brake lever came loose almost causing a crash and putting me in danger of grave bodily harm. This also caused the front brake to be inoperable, necessitating a daily long walk back down a dirt road in the woods. I immediately returned the bike to the store where they quickly and cheerfully diagnosed and fixed he problems: the bolt was not tight enough from the factory. the bolt was tightened, the breaking system inspected and off I went down the road.

A day or two later I was inspecting the lovely orange-red paint of my new pride and joy and noticed that the cables were rubbing it off of the head tube! I found a solution in the form of clear vinyl tape. But, I was now slightly annoyed.

I sent en email to Salsa explaining my concerns and eventually got a reply:Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for contacting Salsa, we're sorry to hear your first ride on your Journeyer was not what you expected. To your points, the shop that assembled the bike should be doing a safety check on all bolts, including the shifter/brake lever clamps. While this may have been a simply oversight on their part it is worth addressing with them. Secondly, we don't install vinyl protectors on any bikes (I don't know that any manufacturers do), but there are many affordable aftermarket frame protection options out there and we leave it to the customer to determine their desired type and level of protection.

Thank you,

Jared Stengel | Customer Service & Warranty Support
support@salsacycles.com | (877) 668-6223
So, the official position of Jared Stengel, and thus Salsa Bicycle Company, is that the local bike shop exposed themselves to lability and bad publicity by negligently delivering a defective bicycle. After delivering thousand and thousands of perfect ones over decades in business. That sounded more like Salsa dodging responsibility to me. It was point number two that stumped me though. My 2023 Salsa Journeyer has not one but two vinyl protective sheets applied to the frame. One on the down tube and another on the chain stay. For something that they don't do on ANY bike, they did it twice to mine. Hum.

Needless to say, it can only be assumed that negligence and lying are just the tip of the iceberg at Salsa and, by extension, Quality Bicycle Products. I certainly will NOT be purchasing another Salsa or Surly product and would urge you all to take similar caution in ANY dealings with Salsa, Surly or other QBP brands.

If they will lie about something trivial, you KNOW that they will lie about important things.

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing) RIP
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix RIP
Old 07-25-23, 07:58 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
About three weeks ago I bought a Salsa Journeyer Apex-1 from a long standing local bike shop of excellent repute. The very first ride the left brake lever came loose almost causing a crash and putting me in danger of grave bodily harm. This also caused the front brake to be inoperable, necessitating a daily long walk back down a dirt road in the woods. I immediately returned the bike to the store where they quickly and cheerfully diagnosed and fixed he problems: the bolt was not tight enough from the factory. the bolt was tightened, the breaking system inspected and off I went down the road.

A day or two later I was inspecting the lovely orange-red paint of my new pride and joy and noticed that the cables were rubbing it off of the head tube! I found a solution in the form of clear vinyl tape. But, I was now slightly annoyed.

I sent en email to Salsa explaining my concerns and eventually got a reply:Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for contacting Salsa, we're sorry to hear your first ride on your Journeyer was not what you expected. To your points, the shop that assembled the bike should be doing a safety check on all bolts, including the shifter/brake lever clamps. While this may have been a simply oversight on their part it is worth addressing with them. Secondly, we don't install vinyl protectors on any bikes (I don't know that any manufacturers do), but there are many affordable aftermarket frame protection options out there and we leave it to the customer to determine their desired type and level of protection.

Thank you,

Jared Stengel | Customer Service & Warranty Support
support@salsacycles.com | (877) 668-6223
So, the official position of Jared Stengel, and thus Salsa Bicycle Company, is that the local bike shop exposed themselves to lability and bad publicity by negligently delivering a defective bicycle. After delivering thousand and thousands of perfect ones over decades in business. That sounded more like Salsa dodging responsibility to me. It was point number two that stumped me though. My 2023 Salsa Journeyer has not one but two vinyl protective sheets applied to the frame. One on the down tube and another on the chain stay. For something that they don't do on ANY bike, they did it twice to mine. Hum.

Needless to say, it can only be assumed that negligence and lying are just the tip of the iceberg at Salsa and, by extension, Quality Bicycle Products. I certainly will NOT be purchasing another Salsa or Surly product and would urge you all to take similar caution in ANY dealings with Salsa, Surly or other QBP brands.

If they will lie about something trivial, you KNOW that they will lie about important things.
perhaps the dealer applied the vinyl patches. I did just buy a Canyon and it has vinyl patches on the head tube.
Old 07-25-23, 07:59 PM
mr,grumpy 

Originally Posted by jadmt
perhaps the dealer applied the vinyl patches. I did just buy a Canyon and it has vinyl patches on the head tube.
The same dealer that allegedly negligently assembled the bicycle? No. They are factory.

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
Old 07-25-23, 08:00 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Your issue appears to be with the bike shop followed by yourself for not going over the bike yourself. You have been a member of these forums for 14 years thus familiar with bicycles.

As for the protective film just put some on if that’s important to you. Frankly I really don’t care about scuff marks etc.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 07-25-23, 08:01 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
So this is about some shift cables touching a bike frame ?
Old 07-25-23, 08:03 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,300 Times in 2,948 Posts
Jebeez, some of you see lies and deceit everywhere you look.
Old 07-25-23, 08:18 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
So let me get this right.

Your brake lever came from the bike shop not secured to the bar. That's on the shop. Simple safety check would have prevented this. Salsa is right. The dealer gets compensated for (proper) new bike setup, and if the dealer screws up, it's on them. Salsa cannot prevent this from happening at the dealer level because they're not the ones doing the setup. That's what the agreement is all about.

As to the cable rubbing on paint issue, it would have been nice if the cables were equipped with the little rubber doughnuts designed specifically for preventing this. But if they don't, you decide how you want to protect your frame.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 07-25-23, 08:21 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
I always thought that bike shops received bikes to be assembled in boxes and then it was the shops responsibility to assemble. Have never seen ready to go bikes wheeled off UPS trucks (or any other) and set on the sales floor. As far as culpability, I would go with the shops’ negligence. Salsa gets a pass.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-25-23, 08:34 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts
hmmm ... mr grumpy
Likes For t2p:
Old 07-25-23, 08:45 PM
mr,grumpy 

Originally Posted by bargainguy
So let me get this right.

Your brake lever came from the bike shop not secured to the bar. That's on the shop. Simple safety check would have prevented this. Salsa is right. The dealer gets compensated for (proper) new bike setup, and if the dealer screws up, it's on them. Salsa cannot prevent this from happening at the dealer level because they're not the ones doing the setup. That's what the agreement is all about.

As to the cable rubbing on paint issue, it would have been nice if the cables were equipped with the little rubber doughnuts designed specifically for preventing this. But if they don't, you decide how you want to protect your frame.
The bars come assembled. Just put them in the stem. If the stem was the point of failure, then yea, its on the shop. The pre-assembled components from the factory? THAT is on Salsa.

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
Old 07-25-23, 08:47 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
OP is referring to housing so no donuts, would be cool if they made a donut version.

OP, no one has really lied to you although the shop didn't do the best assembly. When building a bike all the bolts should be tested and most of the time the brake levers need some degree of adjustment and therefore the bolt should be dealt with at that time. MTB isn't as important since no one puts weight on them, but any road lever like apex should be since people ride on them. Not certain why this would necessitate a walk, just a slow ride relying on the rear brake, obviously don't ride on the hoods.

As to the protectors, most bikes for decades have come with some sort of basic chainstay protector, no surprise there, and many mtb and gravel bikes come with an underside of the downtube cover. Not surprised that Salsa would tell you companies don't send protectors or put them on bikes and not think of these, they're just a basic thing. What you're asking for, which is a protector from cable rub isn't a common thing and companies aren't going to install them because cables rub in different locations from bike to bike. Hydraulic hoses especially can have weird bends that may cause no rubbing or excessive rubbing since they don't self straighten like a regular cable housing. But housing length and where it leaves the handlebar tape can all influence where it rubs, companies don't want to guess where to put it and they don't want to stick a giant clear sticker over the whole head tube. Just take some electrical tape, watch where the cables rub, and put some down over those exact lines and the problem is solved.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 07-25-23, 08:49 PM
mr,grumpy 

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Your issue appears to be with the bike shop followed by yourself for not going over the bike yourself. You have been a member of these forums for 14 years thus familiar with bicycles.

As for the protective film just put some on if that’s important to you. Frankly I really don’t care about scuff marks etc.
I absolutely hold the manufacturer at fault for the assembly not being produced correctly. The bike was checked over and only failed in a real-world application.
The Cable rubbing is actually a known flaw on these bikes. I (incorrectly) assumed that Salsa would make the necessary corrections for this.

Nothing is perfect and no real harm was done,

The point is that the Salsa representative straight out lied to me.

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
Old 07-25-23, 09:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Well, the last sentence above sums up Mr. Grumpy’s position, so there really is nothing more to be said or discussed.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-25-23, 10:11 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I’ve had two Salsas because I like their frame designs and colors, and I’d get a Surly for the same reason. But my opinion of their paint quality and finishing touches is decidedly mixed. Both of them chipped and scratched easily and the “armor” on the Stormchaser fork proved to be stuck on top of the paint with 2 sided tape
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-26-23, 12:22 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I absolutely hold the manufacturer at fault for the assembly not being produced correctly. The bike was checked over and only failed in a real-world application.
I put 100% responsibility on the shop that assembled and delivered the bike. Blaming Salsa is dumb.

The Cable rubbing is actually a known flaw on these bikes. I (incorrectly) assumed that Salsa would make the necessary corrections for this.
Flaw?? Cable rubbing can and does happen on every bike in the world with cables. Why do you think it (1) is a "flaw" and (2) is somehow unique to Salsa. Put it on yourself and do it when the bike is new. Normal.

Nothing is perfect and no real harm was done,

The point is that the Salsa representative straight out lied to me.
No harm but you've tied some major knots in your undergarments. And no, no lies were told to you.

Last edited by Camilo; 07-26-23 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-26-23, 02:33 AM
mr_pedro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
Tightening screws properly is exactly what the LBS is paid for and is their responsibility. I also don't understand the argument of the OP that somehow the LBS "delivering thousand and thousands of perfect ones over decades in business", even if true, makes it the responsibility of the manufacturer.

As to the grand conspiracy about the protective film, that reminds me of an old Dutch saying: Antf**ker
Likes For mr_pedro:
Old 07-26-23, 04:19 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
People who seek medical advice online should be forced to read this thread.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 07-26-23, 04:21 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Loose brake lever is a shop fault. They should have checked it pre-delivery. They obviously didn’t in this case.

Cable rub is also a minor shop issue. A really good shop would have anticipated this (pretty much all bikes with cables are prone to rubbing) and applied clear patches as appropriate. They obviously didn’t go into that level of detail here and IME most shops don’t.

The reality here is that your bike shop is not very thorough with their pre-delivery checks.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-26-23, 04:22 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
"The pre-assembled components from the factory? THAT is on Salsa."

I take it you have read the Dealer Agreement. It is a legal and binding document outlining the relationship between the dealer and the supplier. Within that document Specialized, Giant, Trek, Ritchey, Cannondale, and Raleigh (these companies are the ones I have direct knowledge) specify the dealer is responsible for final assembly of the bike, which includes checking for safe operation. I must assume it is the same with Salsa as it seems to be an industry standard agreement.

Of course one can pursue the company legally, however ultimately it will end up in the lap of the dealer as it is, in the end, their responsibility. As for cable rub this is a defect of what sort? How do we define the category of the defect? Paint defect? Lack of forethought defect?

Mr,Grumpy, chill out and go for a ride on your new bike!
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 07-26-23, 04:51 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
The blame game .... aka : cause and effect, as told by Tom, Jerry, and Spike !

Likes For Garthr:
Old 07-26-23, 05:00 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
An amusing thread,

Old 07-26-23, 05:04 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
This is why I build my own bikes.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 07-26-23, 05:19 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
See #2.

​​​​​​https://off.road.cc/content/feature/...-new-bike-1634
Old 07-26-23, 05:36 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Sounds like the bike is rather new. You're displeased. Take it back to the shop, demand a refund. Go to another shop and purchase another brand.
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 07-26-23, 05:38 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
The OP has certainly uncovered a major conspiracy and should sue...somebody...for $100,000,000...not for the money, but to protect others on this planet.

or

Perhaps such a long term member of this place should man up, take responsibility for his own safety, stop being a drama-queen, go for a friggin bike ride, and get on with life.
Likes For fishboat:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.