Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

If you will lie about something small.... A Salsa Story

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

If you will lie about something small.... A Salsa Story

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-23, 12:45 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_pedro
Tightening screws properly is exactly what the LBS is paid for and is their responsibility. I also don't understand the argument of the OP that somehow the LBS "delivering thousand and thousands of perfect ones over decades in business", even if true, makes it the responsibility of the manufacturer.

As to the grand conspiracy about the protective film, that reminds me of an old Dutch saying: Antf**ker
Exactly, and it is allpart of the initial setup. Though a part may be "installed" on the handlebars, it will need to be adjusted when the bike is assembled, and tightened when done. To blame Salsa is ridiculous.
Likes For phughes:
Old 07-26-23, 12:48 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
I believe that I may have been unclear. The bicycle was professionally assembled and checked by a high quality bicycle shop of high regard. They rode it and I rode it. There was no issues to be detected in casual riding it around. It wasn't until it was "out in the wild" that the lever slipped. It didn't come off or dislodge. It slipped and remained loose. You can debate or blame place all you want but the fact remains the the factory incorrectly assembled a component that failed in use.

As for the cable rubbing the head tube, this is a problem specifically documented to drop-bar journeyers in several reviews that I read and watched prior to purchasing the bike. Perhaps this is the price to be paid for having the cables under the tape. I don't know. I do know the this is the only bike that I have had that has had that issue. I don't think that it is unreasonable to think that would be something that a major company would notice and eliminate over time.

And, again, these are just minor quibbling that caused me to reach out to the company.

The issue is:

Jared, and by extension, Salsa, LIED TO ME. He told me that the NEVER put protective vinyl on ANY bike. They put two pieces of it on MY bike.

"was that frame heat treated correctly"? Why Yes, yes it was!
"did you adjust Robot 12 to spec so the handlebars don't fall apart"? Yes we did!
"did you dump that toxic waste into the river"? No way!

who knows.
Do you not carry tools? If the lever slipped, tighten it. Wow, the drama.
Old 07-26-23, 01:59 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Tbh, I would blame salsa for a loose brake lever on a drop bar bike*. But the shop deserves more blame for not checking it.

*generally the shop has to adjust the brake lever on flat bar bikes. YMMV depending on the brand.
Old 07-26-23, 02:40 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,581 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Maybe he believes it’s Salsa’s responsibility to make him carry tools.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-26-23, 02:47 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The dude's a psychopath.
I didn’t know Jared had been paroled and is now working at Salsa. A boycott is in order. Wonder if he’s allowed in Subway restaurants.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-26-23, 02:50 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Someone might have a chip on their shoulder.............which usually goes well with salsa.
Old 07-26-23, 03:00 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Someone might have a chip on their shoulder.............which usually goes well with salsa.
Old 07-26-23, 04:10 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by seypat
someone might have a chip on their shoulder.............which usually goes well with salsa.
potd
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-26-23, 04:26 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Yes, I do but I try to not mess with anything that's brand new from the factory. If something goes wrong I want a factory trained and approved person to wok on it.

The crotchety old man concept that in 2023 brand new consumer goods should require a complete inspection and adjustment from the end user is insane. Did you inspect the compressor of your refrigerator before you turned it on? The hose clamps on you F550 grocery mobile? It is equally pathetic that you are defending a souless cooperate entity over one of your own, hard working neighbors. Vilify and demonize your LBS. Nice. And when you run those guys out of town? You'll be free to mail order your bikes from direct from the child labor camps to your doors where you can inspect and adjust them to your heart's content. Simps, fanboys and incels.

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing) RIP
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix RIP
Old 07-26-23, 04:36 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
mr,grumpy how do you like the Apex 1? I got a Journeyer Apex 1 9 speed (from REI - assembled very well I must say). I really like the Apex shift lever design and ergonomics. I've posted before on other threads, I think it's a better design than Shimano, and as good (for me) as Sram.

I bought the Apex 9 speed instead of 10 simply because of cost. We wanted cheaper/simpler bikes than our high-zoot titanium, AXS Etap, hydraulic brake gravel bikes to keep with our RV which we store in another state. We're very happy with the Journeyers and I'm very happy with the Microshift stuff.

I've said enough - as have we all - about your original complaint (let it rest guys!). Please think about the unanimous opinions stated and most of all, enjoy your new bike.
It was a big drawback for me initially. I was unsure of the 1x concept (although I have a 1x hard tail, which, I might add has never spontaneously fallen apart on me). After using it for a while though I. really like it. There is quite a noticeable "gap" between what are, to me, the two lowest "travel" gears, before I get to the "climbing" part of the cassette. Maybe 6 and 7? It took me a little while to get used to using the one paddle to do two different things but after I developed a small amount of muscle memory I found it much preferable to the llllooooonnnggg throws of moving the "brake lever" part of a lower end Shimmano Brifter.

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing) RIP
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix RIP
Old 07-26-23, 04:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Yes, I do but I try to not mess with anything that's brand new from the factory. If something goes wrong I want a factory trained and approved person to wok on it.

The crotchety old man concept that in 2023 brand new consumer goods should require a complete inspection and adjustment from the end user is insane. Did you inspect the compressor of your refrigerator before you turned it on? The hose clamps on you F550 grocery mobile? It is equally pathetic that you are defending a souless cooperate entity over one of your own, hard working neighbors. Vilify and demonize your LBS. Nice.
You think "a soulless cooperate(sic) entity" built your bike at Salsa? No, it was someone who gets paid to put the bike together, whether it was at Salsa or your LBS. You're just substituting hating on one working class person for hating on another, based on who pays their wages.

And when you run those guys out of town? You'll be free to mail order your bikes from direct from the child labor camps to your doors where you can inspect and adjust them to your heart's content. Simps, fanboys and incels.
Cripes, dude, get a grip.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-26-23, 04:52 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Mr,Grumpy is missing the point completely. READ THE DEALER AGREEMENT Mr,Grumpy! That will point you to the liable party. Salsa is not liable as they are not responsible for final assembly and safety check the dealer is required to perform on every new bicycle. Good night, is this too difficult to understand or is it the misplaced anger blurring the division between reality and madness?

As for bikes coming partly assembled, Low end and mid grade bikes come with brake and shift levers installed at the factory. THEY ARE NOT ADJUSTED NOR ARE THEY TORQUED TO SPEC. That is the dealer's responsibility.
Higher level bikes come without pedals period. They do not have the stem, handlebar, brake/shift levers, front brake caliper, seat, seat post, dropper seat post, or the bar tape/grips installed.
Back in the day Schwinn sent their road bikes with only the crank and headset installed, but not adjusted. Everything else was left to the dealer. How I hated building Varsity and Coninentals! Sold a boat load of them and they took forever to put together.
Along comes Giant Bicycles in the mid to late 90's with their Ready to Ride in Half The Time program, and it changed the way bicycles were delivered to the dealer across the industry.
Old 07-26-23, 05:00 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
A new bike built by my company leaves somewhere KOMing at 60 mph. The brake lever rotates.. Now, should we re-tighten them? Take the number of bikes in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of loose brakes, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of checking and re-tightening, we don't do it.

Are there a lot of these kinds of bikes?

You wouldn't believe.

Which bike company do you work for?

QBP A major one.
Old 07-26-23, 05:03 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Vilify and demonize your LBS. Nice. And when you run those guys out of town?
Nobody's vilifying your LBS. They made a mistake, and even made it right per your story. You're the one who went a step further to try and blame the "soulless entity" as if it were some sort of crime against humanity even if it was their mistake.

"One of your own" does not make you correct. I don't even side with my wife when she's wrong... which she never is, of course.
Old 07-26-23, 05:04 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey

Cripes, dude, get a grip.
I didn't think that kind of vile name calling was allowed.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-26-23, 05:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by big john
I didn't think that kind of vile name calling was allowed.
His? Or mine?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-26-23, 05:13 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
His? Or mine?
lol
Likes For big john:
Old 07-26-23, 05:19 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
It is equally pathetic that you are defending a souless cooperate entity over one of your own, hard working neighbors.
I'm not generally one to defend a neighbor with misplaced and irrational anger based in ignorance, especially after folks with real-world, first-hand knowledge have shared factual information that contradicts their position.

Vilify and demonize your LBS. Nice.
No one did that. Your LBS missed something (humans - ugh!!) with the final assembly of your bike, and corrected the issue when it was brought to their attention. Sounds to me like they behaved as a good shop would.

Last edited by Eric F; 07-26-23 at 05:33 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 07-26-23, 05:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm not generally one to defend a neighbor with misplaced and irrational anger based in ignorance, especially after folks with real-world, first-hand knowledge have shared factual information that contradicts your position.

No one did that. Your LBS missed something (humans - ugh!!) with the final assembly of your bike, and corrected the issue when it was brought to their attention. Sounds to me like they behaved as a good shop would.
My LBS has always done excellent work, but one time they didn't torque down the NDS pedal all the way and after an hour, during a fairly intense workout on the trainer the steel pedal thread pulled the aluminum crank threads out and the pedal fell off. They fixed it for free, no questions.

Now, tbf, the owner didn't say anything about it being their fault, and I didn't ask. I would not expect him to, in our litigious society - "So, did you or did you not tell my client, 'Oops! My bad!'" - but he made it right, which is what I wanted. Which is why I still take my bikes to him when I can't do something myself.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-26-23, 06:18 PM
indyfabz

A soulless corporation that the OP was happy he patronized, until he wasn’t.

Maybe try a “soul” proprietor for your next bike.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-26-23, 06:22 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Every company wishes they could fire certain customers
Old 07-26-23, 06:46 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Every company wishes they could fire certain customers
I refuse to sell a bike to "that guy" (It's always a guy) almost mnothly, after almost 40 years doing this, I can tell a couple of minutes into the conversation when it's gonna happen, makes my day...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 07-26-23, 06:50 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,309 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I didn’t know Jared had been paroled and is now working at Salsa. A boycott is in order. Wonder if he’s allowed in Subway restaurants.
He almost certainly lied about his name as well.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-26-23, 06:51 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3675 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
All customer contact folks have stories to tell. I wish Jared could see this thread.
Old 07-26-23, 06:59 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
All customer contact folks have stories to tell. I wish Jared could see this thread.
Every person should work some sort of service job for at least one year. It would make them more understanding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.