Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

They're not even trying to pretend anymore ...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

They're not even trying to pretend anymore ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-23, 11:42 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I live at Ground Zero for the most bike aware city in the U.S. Apparently no longer the most bike friendly city, we lost that title years ago. But even if I am feeling excitable, about the best I can come up with is that it is the e-bikes that are outnumbered by pedal bikes 4:1. That doesn't count the stand up scooters and powered skateboards, mono-wheels, etc.

But the fact is even a cheap e-bike costs some dough. A cheap mono-wheel is $500. A good one is $1000. Those prices keep the dilettantes away from e-power in huge numbers. Given that I live where more people ride bikes IN THE STREET than anywhere else in the country and most days I am likely to see less than 10 to 15 cyclists total! I just don't know where all this emotion is coming from. Cyclists are a tiny minority of the transportation world. If you are worried about e-bikes on the MUP you are doing it wrong. What the eff are you doing on the MUP in the first place?! Scared of cars? So you want to scare peds? I wouldn't know what goes on on MUP's because I don't ride on them. I suspect there are equal numbers of pedal bikes and e-bikes on MUP's and pedestrians hate both.
WTF are you talking about. I said NOTHING about MUPS. In this case I was talking about sidewalks and bike lanes in downtown like areas, where I live.
Here>> I'll say something NOW. There's thousands of guys on RACE bikes that use our river valley MUPS, so there goes your SNOTTY ATTITUDE about them. Ours can be used to cross the whole city. Used both for scenery and exercise. First one was built in the 1980s. The parallel 2 lane BUSY river road hasn't had a bike on it in YEARS, nor should it with a 20 foot wide MUP.
Mine isn't the only city building MUPS alongside of major 4 or 6 lane thoroughfares. When it's not busy, I'll ride the road too. I rode BOTH today. Both directions I was on the busiest freeway/ highway here. Even on mile 75 to 83 I had enough energy to crank up my SA 5w steel roadster to 30 mph with a flyspeck downslope and the traffic wind. LOL. The MUP paths were being paved wider now. But again I saw ZERO of the lycra crowd. They put their bikes in the CAR and go play peloton racers where NOBODY is driving. LOL. Gutless wonders, IMO.

Last week I did see a whole gang of Mono riders and a bunch of various E bikes with them doing a group ride. There's guys doing 30 mph on them, road and bike lanes. Let's see one of those goofs slam on the brakes. There's homemade gas power bicycles running amok.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 08-14-23 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-13-23, 11:46 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by bikelif3
NO SERIOUSLY, there is ACTUAL senseless violence in this and your world...
....................................................seriously ?
Old 08-14-23, 01:36 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
I'm at an age where a fit 20 y.o. female (I'm male) can give me a good run for the money. When another cyclist passes me it could be because they are e-assisted or because they are 1/3 my age or both. It happens often enough that if I really got too invested in the outcome of every roll on contest I'd be looking for a Cardiologist. Some of you need to start becoming more Zen about the e-bikes. Resistance is futile.

Don't buy one if you don't want one but don't gatekeep. It's a bad look. And don't kid kidders. There aren't any production 70mph e-bikes. Just stop. Even 30mph is a stretch for a bike costing less than $3K. Your garden variety Radmission is not going to kill anyone, except possibly its owner if they misjudge something critical. But that can happen (and does) anyway. But it really doesn't happen a lot. Stop the faux hysteria.

Someone said 961 cyclists got killed in 2021. And? It's not because any of them collided with e-bikes. Some of the dead undoubtedly were riding e-bikes in 2021 but we've had close to that number dying every year since long before e-bikes were a thing. E-bikes are not your enemy. Cars are. Cars are what kill regular cyclists, e-bikers, pedestrians and other car drivers, period. Cars. Cars and more cars. H8 cars and the senseless culture of ever bigger and more powerful cars, trucks and SUV's. Instead of anger when you are passed by an e-biker you should feel love. They could have been in a car.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 08-14-23, 02:19 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Ebikes that have a throttle that doesn't require pedaling at all, even if they have pedals, to me, have the same status as mopeds, that is, are motorcycles.
I appreciate that things may be different where you live.

I was just going by the legal definition as written in many of the motor vehicle acts within much of the the US. A moped is a motor driven bicycle, typically under 50cc. If it does not have pedals and is over a certain power output it is then considered a motorcycle. In my locality a licence plate and drivers licence is required for both vehicles

Originally Posted by zandoval
It's pretty simple...

A bicycle with a motor is called a motorcycle.

motorcycle - mō′tər-sī″kəl -noun
  1. A two-wheeled motor vehicle resembling a heavy bicycle, sometimes having two saddles and a sidecar with a third wheel.
  2. A bicycle or tricycle operated by some form of motor as well as by pedals.
  3. A two-wheeled vehicle having a motor attached so as to be self-propelled.
But don't get me wrong... I love motorcycles. I just don't confuse them with bicycles. Got my first motorcycle at 11. It was a 1953 Cushman Highlander. Never could keep it running. 50 years latter my Mom admitted to sneaking water into the gas tank to keep me off of it...
You copied and pasted from wordnik ? Now look up moped from the same website.

Have a read from the people that make the laws in the US - https://www.nhtsa.gov/interpretations/nht81-329. If you don't believe them ask google

Last edited by daviddavieboy; 08-14-23 at 02:39 AM.
Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 08-14-23, 05:59 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
In CA, assembly bill 530 requiring e-bike riders that don't have a drivers license (minors) to be licensed is making it way through the system:
https://insideevs.com/news/680268/eb...Dbike%20riders.

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...currently (at least where I live) these motorized vehicles legally share the same bicycle lanes and MUP's as bicycles. There appears to be no age limit on who can climb on board and ride one, and there is zero enforcement on excess speed, on places like the American river MUP. I don't find it unreasonable that the topic gains some traction in the bicycle community at large. I know I encounter a lot of them, and not all of the ones I encounter seem harmless to the community at large. I could say the same about some cyclists, I guess. They just have less mass and power to create havoc.
Likes For timdow:
Old 08-14-23, 07:02 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
I spent the last couple of days cycling around the beach are where it has been cooler than the eastern portion of Ventura County . I was amazed at how many various types of electric powered vehicles there are. I have seen an increase slowly over the last handful of years and , for the most part , folks use these vehicles as bicycles. I really don’t have a problem with that , as long as there is courtesy and common sense. I ride quite a bit , at least a couple times a week , and occasionally have instances where folks don’t practice either courtesy or common sense and it seems that the electric vehicles are not immune to this practice.
Old 08-14-23, 07:24 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
My best cycling buddy is 80, has a pacemaker and COPD. He would be grounded if not for his Ebike. He logged thousands of miles in cross-country rides before his health declined, even riding some on oxygen for his lung condition I'm not anti Ebike, but see a lot of reckless or careless riding by those using them.

I understand the clamoring for regulation and enforcement. I ride MUPs in my town and a neighboring city with regularity. I have never seen any attempt to enforce speed limits, nor even any person or officer with authority to do so. In my community, there is a startling lack of police activity dealing motor vehicle violations. Speed limits, red lights, stop signs are apparently just suggestions. I can't imagine diverting scarce law enforcement resources to address scofflaws on Ebikes.

I have no solution other than riding defensively.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 08-14-23, 07:59 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Maybe I missed it but 5 pages and I'm not sure any pics of the subject ebike have been posted. Seems cool to me!

Old 08-14-23, 08:10 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
beside motivation, it takes time & money to start a PSA for the average U.S. citizen... All in which are harder to come by in the current times.

Much safer & simpler to yell at the clouds on the interwebz.
Old 08-14-23, 08:23 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I can't help but think they saw Radpower being sued and wanted to be sued as well. It seems to me that those bikes aren't equipped properly to be carrying two people.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-14-23, 08:43 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I can't help but think they saw Radpower being sued and wanted to be sued as well. It seems to me that those bikes aren't equipped properly to be carrying two people.
I certainly would not want to be the passenger on that thing.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-14-23, 08:51 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Definitely not for sissies.
Old 08-14-23, 08:58 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
And if you are so small that needing to see people pedal their bikes even if the pedaling is pointless ... that's just ... small. Those monowheel things ... stand up scooters ... motorcycles by any reasonable definition? Whelp, I think its time to stop supporting the irrational e-bike hate that proliferates on BF and really start shaming the haters. E-bikes are here. They aren't going anywhere. I don't ride one (yet) but I don't think that people that do, or want to, are damned to hellfire.
Monowheels? Those things barely get out of their own way and the users seem fairly chillax. Its not about hating, although if that's how you view any disagreement you must live in a very angry world, its about what's reasonably safe for everyone. Your rights stop where another's start. The question is what reasonably defines a bicycle and where is it reasonable to use them. This new trek is clearly not a bicycle, the pics and ads don't really even support the idea, so why is it being called and considered a bicycle and not being treated as a moped or scooter and why would it be unreasonable to limit them to where those respective vehicles are found?

Originally Posted by Maelochs
People who will ride dangerously on an e-bike will do it on a skateboard, a pedal bike, in a car, on inline skates ...

As a few others have mentioned ... if more people want to use (comparative to cars) slower, smaller vehicles in dedicated lanes ... we All benefit from that. Less pollution, less traffic, and more cycling infrastructure.

The biggest issue I see here is this: You guys. There simply are not that many e-bikes out there, and most of those seem to be operating a mini-motorcycles ... but are not exceptionally faster than a fast cyclist (way faster than me,) and because of the limits of Darwin ... if they get crazy or stupid enough they will die. You can make really stupid mistakes in a car which will leave you crippled or dead on a bike, motorized or not.
That's just it, put them in the bike lanes and not the MUP, especially the scooters. Riding the Hudson River Greenway is an interesting thing, I don't find the majority of ebike riders to be that bad, no worse than the nuts doing their training rides, but the scooters are a whole different issue. But at the end of the day the roads are for motorized vehicles, keep them off the mixed use path.

As to how many users there are, location matters. I live on LI, outside of seeing a couple at the local MTB trails which is understandably upsetting to the local MTB organization, I never see any on LI. (The club has to have insurance to maintain and use many of the trails that they've made available to the public and Ebikes aren't covered under the insurance that protects them from people who screw up on the trail. But it doesn't mean they can't be sued by someone riding or injured by an uncovered ebike user.) Head to NYC and I can be sitting at a red light in the bike lane with a dozen other people and half are ebikes, and they're absolutely everywhere; this is a trend I'd love to see flourish since I'm too freaked out to ride the streets of western LI but enjoy riding most of NYC, LI drivers are f'n nuts and don't believe in other road users.

Originally Posted by john m flores
It's amazing that in the midst of a historic rise in road fatalities caused by distracted driving of ever larger SUVs and pickup trucks, we seem to spend more time debating the dangers of an 80lb ebike vs a diesel-spewing dually.
Doesn't seem completely unreasonable. https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...jfi-story.html
I do agree that vehicle size needs to be strongly addressed, like an excess tax on any non-commercially used vehicle engine with more than 6 cylinders or over a certain displacement and strict mpg limits that include all trucks. That'll get trucks to shrink as people struggle to get the behemoths up to speed, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking at the full picture. NYC also put large steel posts and barriers along the MUP to keep those trucks out of it along with the rest of the cars so people could feel safe despite walking and riding next to vast amounts of traffic. Right now ebikes are seeing a rise in fatalities, they are causing injuries and deaths to others they run into, and they're burning down buildings, a little oversight isn't the worst idea.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Maybe I missed it but 5 pages and I'm not sure any pics of the subject ebike have been posted. Seems cool to me!

Looks fun, and insanely overpriced. Wouldn't mind one for the grocery runs if they made it affordable but now anything trek seems like it has a 30% markup for the name.
Old 08-14-23, 09:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Definitely not for sissies.
The rear position is for Darwin Award finalists. Just look at that unbalanced position. Hit a big enough bump, have even one hand slip off those grab bars and I will send you flowers. Just let me know what hospital you are in.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-14-23, 09:57 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Last day for the sale, but take a look at the mini (to me) cargo bike REI has for $800. It's very similar in design to the Trek and has the usually reliable REI benefits.
Old 08-14-23, 10:13 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

I'm at an age where a fit 20 y.o. female (I'm male) can give me a good run for the money. When another cyclist passes me it could be because they are e-assisted or because they are 1/3 my age or both. It happens often enough that if I really got too invested in the outcome of every roll on contest I'd be looking for a Cardiologist. Some of you need to start becoming more Zen about the e-bikes. Resistance is futile.

Don't buy one if you don't want one but don't gatekeep. It's a bad look. And don't kid kidders. There aren't any production 70mph e-bikes. Just stop. Even 30mph is a stretch for a bike costing less than $3K. Your garden variety Radmission is not going to kill anyone, except possibly its owner if they misjudge something critical. But that can happen (and does) anyway. But it really doesn't happen a lot. Stop the faux hysteria.

Someone said 961 cyclists got killed in 2021. And? It's not because any of them collided with e-bikes. Some of the dead undoubtedly were riding e-bikes in 2021 but we've had close to that number dying every year since long before e-bikes were a thing. E-bikes are not your enemy. Cars are. Cars are what kill regular cyclists, e-bikers, pedestrians and other car drivers, period. Cars. Cars and more cars. H8 cars and the senseless culture of ever bigger and more powerful cars, trucks and SUV's. Instead of anger when you are passed by an e-biker you should feel love. They could have been in a car.
...who in the world said anything about getting angry because he was passed by an e-bike ? Can you give me a quote from the thread ? A couple would be good, but even one would be sufficient. Otherwise, I'm just gonna write this off as another strawman. TIA

Between your presumptions of hatred on the part of anyone who sees this differently from you, and this new tack into "You're just angry because they passed you, " it's pretty difficult to take anything you're contributing seriously. It seems like projection, to be honest.
Old 08-14-23, 10:14 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by indyfabz
The rear position is for Darwin Award finalists. Just look at that unbalanced position. Hit a big enough bump, have even one hand slip off those grab bars and I will send you flowers. Just let me know what hospital you are in.
...oh c'mon. She's wearing a helmet, for gosh sakes.
Old 08-14-23, 10:26 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
I appreciate that things may be different where you live.

I was just going by the legal definition as written in many of the motor vehicle acts within much of the the US. A moped is a motor driven bicycle, typically under 50cc. If it does not have pedals and is over a certain power output it is then considered a motorcycle. In my locality a licence plate and drivers licence is required for both vehicles

You copied and pasted from wordnik ? Now look up moped from the same website.

Have a read from the people that make the laws in the US - https://www.nhtsa.gov/interpretations/nht81-329. If you don't believe them ask google
I have no idea what wordnik is. And, you'll notice I was just stating an opinion, not quoting or claiming to know some legal definition - at least in the statement you quoted. I do know that in places I've lived, mopeds and small scooters are considered motorcycles, at least in the sense they have to be licensed and driven by licensed people.
Old 08-14-23, 10:33 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Electric Bike Speed Limiter Removal – Make Your Ebike Faster?

How to Remove Speed Limiter on Electric Bike? – Detailed Guide

Electric Bike Speed Limiter Removal: A Technician’s Guide To Set Yourself Free

How Do You Remove The Speed Limiter On A Electric Bike

...these were just the first four that came up on a 5 second Google search. There were actually a couple of pages of results in English. My guess would be, were I to expand the search into other languages, there would be many more results. It's a very popular topic on the internet, despite all the denialism in this thread.*

*Disclaimer: Neither Bikeforums.net, nor myself are suggesting that any owner of an e-bike perform any of these illegal modifications. These links are provided for informational purposes only. All such modifications are made at the sole risk and responsibility of the owner. Thus we maintain a free and democratic America. All sales are final. Warranty void where prohibited by law.
Old 08-14-23, 10:40 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by shelbyfv

...I think they took that photo on the same stretch of California highway where they shot the Huffy Aerowind ads.

Old 08-14-23, 10:44 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Note the Huffy guy seems to be riding salmon style. Maybe it's a MUP? The girl on back seems pretty darn happy, even ecstatic. Something about the ride tickles her fancy.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 08-14-23 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-14-23, 11:01 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...in the interest of personal enlightenment, I searched over on the e-bike forum here.
This thread runs the gamut of a variety of e-bike user attitudes, from the ridiculous to the sublime.

"How fast does it go?"

The guy from Australia who posted some long screeds, about how the authorities were just trying to ruin it for everyone, reminded me of this current thread.
I don't think that appealing to the users to self regulate on top speed and available power is going to gain much traction.
Old 08-14-23, 11:40 AM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 291 Posts
From the Trek website. Is Trek implying something with these photos?

​​​​​​

​​​​​​
Old 08-14-23, 12:11 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
My best cycling buddy is 80, has a pacemaker and COPD. He would be grounded if not for his Ebike. He logged thousands of miles in cross-country rides before his health declined, even riding some on oxygen for his lung condition I'm not anti Ebike, but see a lot of reckless or careless riding by those using them.
Bravo! An 80 year old rider. It would appear his e-bike is more related to a handicap device.

I am not anti e-bike, and I am not looking forward to getting one for my future handicaps, but I will if needed.

The Texas solution to this matter of e-bikes tearing up our mountain bike trails and single track is limiting the weight and power of the motorized bicycle.

For me my local easy single track though the piny woods has been destroyed by high power e-bikes. Yep... Looks like its been used by motocross competitors. And it did not take long. In just a few days some young-uns tearing through made it that only a true dirt bike could make the trail. On the other hand, man, they had fun doing it!

Its all in transition... the laws will be made and of course more limitations and control of those who want to ride free.

So whats next? Well after the big EMP I guess I'll consider Steam. With friction shifters and loose balls as a rule... Ha
Old 08-14-23, 04:43 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud
From the Trek website. Is Trek implying something with these photos?

​​​​​​

​​​​​​
Yeah, they're implying that they're transitioning into the motor scooter market, away from bicycles, including pedal assist bicycles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.