Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why every thing you read claims E-bike give a better work out ??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why every thing you read claims E-bike give a better work out ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-23, 05:29 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer

Another perspective, if all that matter was how hard it was to pedal, then I guess we would all get a better workout riding a bike with under-inflated tires, and dry, hard to turn wheel bearings. Let's throw in some brake drag while we're at it. But I think most of us prefer some higher level of performance than a rusty old bike would give us. Why is that? We all know, it's more fun to ride smoothly and easily than to be grinding along.
...there was a great thread by one of the user accounts (who got banned for trolling), on this very topic.
I think maybe he went too far when he posted a picture of his exercise regimen bike, with a dead car battery tied to the rack.

Too bad, I liked that guy. Here are all the threads he started. Prolific doesn't begin to describe him.

Wouldn't you get a better workout with a heavier bike ?
Old 09-10-23, 05:29 PM
Jklotz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
It's the extra speed that makes him work. He was a great endurance cyclist in years past but gained a bunch of weight. Another fiend has a Creo because of a-fib. He's fine on long-ish climbing rides unless the pace is really high, then he gets the a-fib. Same thing happens to me but I don't have a motor.

The drag for me is there were guys I could ride with or even drop and now that they have motors it's like they're 30 years younger. Our club banned e-bikes years ago but now there can be 5 of them on a ride.
If you can't beat em', join em'?
Old 09-10-23, 05:33 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

It's the extra speed that makes him work. He was a great endurance cyclist in years past but gained a bunch of weight. Another fiend has a Creo because of a-fib. He's fine on long-ish climbing rides unless the pace is really high, then he gets the a-fib. Same thing happens to me but I don't have a motor.

The drag for me is there were guys I could ride with or even drop and now that they have motors it's like they're 30 years younger. Our club banned e-bikes years ago but now there can be 5 of them on a ride.

...it's hard to remember when everyone was down on mechanical doping in racing, isn't it ? Seems like it wasn't that long ago, but I guess it was. Fast forward a few years, and what was anathema is the new dogma.
Old 09-10-23, 05:36 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
Originally Posted by Jklotz
If you can't beat em', join em'?
Not yet.
Old 09-10-23, 05:47 PM
big john

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...it's hard to remember when everyone was down on mechanical doping in racing, isn't it ? Seems like it wasn't that long ago, but I guess it was. Fast forward a few years, and what was anathema is the new dogma.
There is a great network of bike paths near here and sometimes I go there to ride solo. Lots of e-bikes there of all types including the throttle kind. Lots of young guys on e-stuff and they want to race or pass defiantly. If they have the ones limited to 21 mph or so I can stay ahead of them on flats or even drop them on downhills. Today a kid on an e-mtb started chasing me and even came alongside to try and pass but I sped up and he couldn't. Once that assist stops he's done. Of course once we hit a rough section I had to back off and he went by.
Old 09-10-23, 06:18 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
There are a lot of lies that people tell themselves and it seems they really believe them.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 09-10-23, 06:23 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

There is a great network of bike paths near here and sometimes I go there to ride solo. Lots of e-bikes there of all types including the throttle kind. Lots of young guys on e-stuff and they want to race or pass defiantly. If they have the ones limited to 21 mph or so I can stay ahead of them on flats or even drop them on downhills. Today a kid on an e-mtb started chasing me and even came alongside to try and pass but I sped up and he couldn't. Once that assist stops he's done. Of course once we hit a rough section I had to back off and he went by.
...I have adopted the idea that I want them as far away from me as possible, so I slow down until they pass and pull away. I don't trust their bike handling skills (admittedly prejudice on my part), and I don't want to get taken down in a crash. I can probably survive the crash, but I would get up and try to hurt someone. : Just easier not to be involved.
Old 09-10-23, 06:25 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Ebikes have their place. But considering how fast they are capable of going, they don't belong on MUTs, they belong on the road.
Old 09-10-23, 06:38 PM
big john

...I have adopted the idea that I want them as far away from me as possible, so I slow down until they pass and pull away. I don't trust their bike handling skills (admittedly prejudice on my part), and I don't want to get taken down in a crash. I can probably survive the crash, but I would get up and try to hurt someone. : Just easier not to be involved.
Yeah, I usually don't engage but sometimes I can't help myself.

Today I also saw a guy on one of the ones with the long saddle and throttle. He had a little kid sitting on front and was going what looked to be 30 mph. No pedaling, just going way too fast.
Old 09-10-23, 07:04 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Jklotz
I realize I'm in the minority here, but I recently bought a Trek Domane+. It is a pedal assist ebike. There is no throttle to turn. There are 3 power modes, selectable with little buttons near the shifters. Without peddling, it gives you nothing. To reach it's 28 mph assist cap, you've still got to be putting out roughly 250 watts on a flat. On the climbs, it'll reduce your HR by 10 beats or so when pushing it. I get great workouts. On my recovery rides, I can do 15mph while staying in zone 1 and 2, makes them a lot more fun and I don't have to have a flat course to do it.

A little background: I raced in my 20's and 30's. Got burned out and shelved the bike after crashes, team politics, etc. 20 years later, I decided to get back in shape. Back in the day, I'd have used group rides to do that, but I'm heavier and older now, so that really wasn't an option for me. At least not without a good 5 or 6 month solo training program and crash diet to prepare. So I got the ebike. I was able to do some B and C level group rides immediately, although I had to push pretty hard to keep up. That was about 3 months ago. Now, with the help of the ebike, I'm able to keep up with the A group. I have to really push hard though, often spending over an hour in zone 4 or 5 to keep up every ride. And even then I get dropped every now and then. I burn 1200 - 1400 calories each ride according to my Garmin. In that 3 months, I've lost 11 lbs and my resting heart rate has dropped almost 20 BPM. And I'm having a blast doing it. I'd still like to drop another 10 LBS and raise my FTP and V02 max. On my current trajectory, that should not be a problem.

So say what you will about ebikes, but for me, they have been a game changer. And yes, I'm getting a better workout because if I didn't have one, there is no way I'd be able to be out there.

my experience is close to yours.
Likes For DMC707:
Old 09-10-23, 07:15 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
...there was a great thread by one of the user accounts (who got banned for trolling), on this very topic.
I think maybe he went too far when he posted a picture of his exercise regimen bike, with a dead car battery tied to the rack.

Too bad, I liked that guy. Here are all the threads he started. Prolific doesn't begin to describe him.

Wouldn't you get a better workout with a heavier bike ?

is this the guy who lived in a storage shed and was buying nice bikes with his Covid money? I recall that guy always invoking his “friend” and even had members local to his area trying to help him out
Old 09-10-23, 07:35 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by DMC707
is this the guy who lived in a storage shed and was buying nice bikes with his Covid money? I recall that guy always invoking his “friend” and even had members local to his area trying to help him out
...doesn't sound familiar. This was the guy who would have used the name "Cheap Giant (bicycle) for Life", but it was too long for a username.
He used a lot of bandwidth philosophizing about how how everyone was spending way too much on bicycles, these days. Cheap is the way to go.

I ride a $200 mtnBike that I bought 20 years ago. Can you still get a $200 bike?
What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?
Old 09-10-23, 08:20 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
What is a " better workout" ?....better compared to what ?...What defines an effective workout ?
Total training stress for that ride. It's measurable fairly well using an HRM after one has determined one's zones. That works just as well on a e-bike as on a regular bike. Before we had power meters, everyone used HR to measure accumulated training stress. If you read through the above posts, it's pretty easy to see the some riders will get a much better workout on an e-bike.
Old 09-10-23, 09:52 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
...it's the electrical field, coming from the battery draining through the stator. My guess would be that you are also Covid 19 vaccinated. It's been scientifically documented, that this is an unintentional side effect of the 5G chip they put into you when you got vaxxed. Your best bet here, assuming you cannot wear a reflective full body biohazard suit when you ride (they are cumbersome), is to line your helment with aluminum foil as a partial countermeasure. You're welcome.

Likes For Reynolds:
Old 09-11-23, 04:03 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
“Traditional bike riders” ==> people who don’t ride much (AKA “casual riders”).

E-bikes might be too expensive for “casual riders”.
Maybe those people in the study who bought e-bikes used them far more often than they ever used their traditional bikes. I think that was one of the main points in the conclusions of the study.

We have to remember that outside of dedicated bike forums, most people struggle to ride traditional bikes for any significant length of time. E-bikes just make riding more accessible to a much larger audience.

There are some good examples in this thread of riders using e-bikes effectively. They are not “casual” riders. They are keen riders who, for various reasons, are unable to fulfill their riding goals on a traditional bike.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-11-23, 04:08 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
I have one E Bike and 7 road bikes. The only time the Ebike gave me a better workout is when the battery died on a 100 km ALL off-road ride with 20 km left to go. The section it ran out on was gravel so it wasn't terrible terrain but the total weight of the bike was close to 75 lbs. It was loaded with touring supplies in case I had to stay in the forest over night.

Originally Posted by Lombard
Ebikes have their place. But considering how fast they are capable of going, they don't belong on MUTs, they belong on the road.
Sounds like a person issue rather than a bike issue. I can travel faster (and further) on my regular bicycles than the Ebike. This very debate recently occurred in city council here. I am glad the mayor didn't think there was a need to ban them from trails.

Last edited by daviddavieboy; 09-11-23 at 05:12 AM.
Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 09-11-23, 04:12 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Ebikes are like training wheels.
Concerned that you can't make the climb? You have Turbo Mode!
Biological Range Anxiety? You now have a battery backup!

Just don't act like you're a faster rider.

"I'm getting a better workout on the same trail as you!!"
(*snips wires*)
You are now!
Apart from riding faster what else do they do? Are you telling me they are actually racing you? I have had e-bikes pass me on hills, but never had one shouting at me to race them. Are they supposed to slow down to protect my ego?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-11-23, 04:52 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
“The study, published in the International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, found that e-bike riders actually get more exercise than traditional bike riders. The researchers looked at data from 10 studies conducted in Europe and North America, which included a total of 1,415 participants. They found that e-bike riders spent more time riding and covered more distance than traditional bike riders, which resulted in more overall physical activity.

“But why is this the case? One possible explanation is that e-bikes allow riders to travel longer distances and tackle more challenging terrain than they would on a traditional bike. This means that e-bike riders are able to ride for longer periods of time, which ultimately leads to more exercise.”

Notice that there is no mention of watts, joules, ergs, horsepower …. Nor of calories burned. For the sake of popularizing an unsupported concept, the writers of the article have distorted the study in order to equate “time not on the couch” with “exercise.” The issue of Intensity of exercise is ignored. The actual amount of work done and the benefits of that work are ignored.

This is just some writer somewhere reading the abstract of some actual scientific study and plucking out a few words to use out of context to “prove” that e-bikes are better for exercise than pedal bikes.

The article ignores differences in riders, rides, and e-bikes. The writer is basically being completely dishonest to help sell e-bikes.

The e-bike cake is a lie.

Nothing wrong with e-bikes, and Some riders on Some rides can actually do more work or more useful work given the assist of the motor. As for generality …. As for the general conclusions proposed by this article …… This article is pure garbage.

There is No Inherent Conflict between e-bikes and pedal bikes. An e-bike is either en electric moped, and small electric motorcycle, or a pedal bike with assist .... none of which impinge inherently upon the pedal-bike-riding experience.

People rabidly opposed to e-bikes have personal issues which they should solve. Also, most people proudly promoting e-bikes as "better" are just tying to do marketing, with no fact involved.

As for as e-bikes on MUPs or trails ... not the issue at hand. That is just people expressing prejudice, not actually rationally responding to the point of the post. And that is not the fault of the e-bike, but the rider. I could ride a Harley down an MUP as 6 mph, or ride a pedal bike at 20 mph, or an e-bike at 26 .... or an e-bike at 6 mph. I could walk down an MUP and be a menace and a nuisance. It is the person, not the transport mode.

And the principal addressed in the original post is the same, actually: "E-bike" guarantees Nothing. How each person uses an e-bike (if at all) under different circumstances determines the quality of the work-out. The "e" portion is not constant. Any article insinuating otherwise is just lying.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-11-23, 05:13 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Maybe those people in the study who bought e-bikes used them far more often than they ever used their traditional bikes. I think that was one of the main points in the conclusions of the study.

We have to remember that outside of dedicated bike forums, most people struggle to ride traditional bikes for any significant length of time. E-bikes just make riding more accessible to a much larger audience.

There are some good examples in this thread of riders using e-bikes effectively. They are not “casual” riders. They are keen riders who, for various reasons, are unable to fulfill their riding goals on a traditional bike.
Sure, all this could be true but the OP appears to be talking about something else.

Your reference appears to be comparing people who are using e-bikes against a group that isn’t really riding much.

That the e-bike group is getting more exercise than the other group is saying the obvious: “people who exercise get more exercise than people who don’t”.

What the heck does “traditional bike rider” mean?

=========================

The OP appears to be claiming there are lots of articles saying e-bike riders get more exercise than people riding the same amount. Your reference (the only one provided) appears to be saying something very different.

Actually, the OP isn’t being clear and is unable to provide any linked to even one of these many articles.

So, we don’t really know what they said. We only have what the OP thinks they said (and we have no reason to rely on that).

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-11-23 at 05:27 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 09-11-23, 05:28 AM
PeteHski

Sure, all this could be true but it’s something else.

Your reference appears to be comparing people who are using e-bikes against a group that isn’t riding much.

That the e-bike group is getting more exercise than the other group is saying the obvious.
My reference was just the first thing Google threw up when I searched to see if the OP’s initial claim was factual. I haven’t seen any articles claiming that e-bikes offer a “better” workout than traditional bikes for all riders. But for some riders (and there are some first hand examples on this very thread) they clearly do.
Old 09-11-23, 05:31 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by jzr756
So I'm wondering about the barrage of online articles and claims an E-bike actually provides a better work out than conventional bikes in general ?? I've been making considerable gains riding hills and flats. E-bikes are blasting by me but no ones pedaling. how's that claim coming about? One claim is their riding longer distances??
If there really is a “barrage” of articles, it should be easy enough to provide a link to a few of them.

As it is, no one here has any idea of what you happened to read or whether your interpretation of the meaning is correct.

(Expecting people to look them up for themselves isn’t reasonable and they might not find the actual articles you did.)
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 09-11-23, 05:33 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Oi .... at some point generalities become so general as to be meaningless.

E-bikes are just like bikes ... or barbells. What a person does with them make all the difference. Do barbells give a better workout than bikes?

Garbage in, garbage out, people used to say.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-11-23, 05:46 AM
PeteHski

If there really is a “barrage” of articles, it should be easy enough to provide a link to a few of them.

As it is, no one here has any idea of what you happened to read or whether your interpretation of the meaning is correct.

(Expecting people to look them up for themselves isn’t reasonable and they might not find the actual articles you did.)
Agreed. Here’s another article I found that shows both sides of the argument.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitnes...o-it-than-that
Old 09-11-23, 06:32 AM
njkayaker

I Googled it and came up with this:-

https://storybicycles.com/blogs/ebik...20participants.
My reference was just the first thing Google threw up when I searched to see if the OP’s initial claim was factual. I haven’t seen any articles claiming that e-bikes offer a “better” workout than traditional bikes for all riders. But for some riders (and there are some first hand examples on this very thread) they clearly do.
Because they are riding more. A lot more. Compared to not really riding at all (or riding much less) before getting an e-bike (the so-called "traditional bike riders").

Originally Posted by article
They found that e-bike riders spent more time riding and covered more distance than traditional bike riders, which resulted in more overall physical activity.

Agreed. Here’s another article I found that shows both sides of the argument.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitnes...o-it-than-that
It isn’t showing “both sides of the argument”. (The “argument” hasn’t been clearly specified anyway.)

It is saying:
  1. that e-bikes encourage people who weren’t really riding to ride more.
  2. People who ride regular bikes are more fit.
This seems what one would expect.

The OP seems to be claiming these articles are saying e-bike riders riding the same amount as he is are getting more exercise. Them saying this or it being true doesn’t seem likely.

Your last link contradicts the OP's apparent claim.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-11-23 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-11-23, 06:38 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
...doesn't sound familiar. This was the guy who would have used the name "Cheap Giant (bicycle) for Life", but it was too long for a username.
He used a lot of bandwidth philosophizing about how how everyone was spending way too much on bicycles, these days. Cheap is the way to go.

I ride a $200 mtnBike that I bought 20 years ago. Can you still get a $200 bike?
What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?
Does anybody remember why he was banned? What was the straw that broke the camel's back?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.