Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Commuter bikes better exercise than road bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Commuter bikes better exercise than road bikes

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-23, 11:37 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Ah, but she would then arrive at work quicker, so less time exercising on the faster bike at the same level of effort.
In my 25 years of bike commuting I found there was nothing to be gained by trying to go faster. I saved my hard workouts for the weekends ont he faster group rides. Trying to save time on a commute often put me in conflict with cars, I would try to beat a soon channging traffic light, I wasn't paying attention, etc..... i found a slower steady pace was safer. I did use a lighter road/sport touring bike whenever possible as it was easier to get back upo to speed after countless traffic lights. I was leaving clothes and shoes at work so didn't have to carry panniers.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 09-15-23, 11:56 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...if you were a real friend, Larry, you would offer to install some foam liners in the tires of the bike you gave her.
No more flats, ever. And the rolling resistance increases to the point where she will get an excellent workout. Winning.
Old 09-15-23, 11:59 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,308 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I gave my coworker a nice road bike because I thought it would make her commute to work a lot quicker and it was too small for me. Today she told me that she got a heartrate monitor, and on flat ground her heartrate is a full 20 BPM faster on the commuter bike. She is afraid of going fast, so she is unable to get her heartrate up on flat ground with the road bike. This is an argument for a situation where a heavier slower bike being a better tool for working out than a specialized sports bicycle.
Maybe she's only afraid to ride fast on the road bike that you gave her. She might be fearless on a bike she trusted.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-15-23, 12:02 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I have a heavy old road frame converted to 3-speed, with fenders, riser bar, and tough inefficient tires. I don't know how much wattage it requires to move at a given speed, or where my heart rate goes on it vs. my road bike. But I know it's harder to ride fast, much harder.

If I just wanted to expend a certain number of calories or get my heart to some particular level, this bike would be the way to go. I'd much rather get on my road bike and go farther and faster with the same energy consumption.

Like you said, Larry, she's afraid to go fast. For her, that bike is probably best.
Old 09-15-23, 12:04 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Maybe she's only afraid to ride fast on the road bike that you gave her. She might be fearless on a bike she trusted.
Maybe she rode with Larry once and to get away said, "You go ahead... I'm gonna hang back. I'm scared to ride that fast."

Just playin', Larry.
Old 09-15-23, 12:15 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Of course, if you want to go at x speed, a heavier/less efficient bike will need more effort. Nothing new.
???

Not clear to me why "heavier" and "less efficient" are lumped together here. Less efficient bike will indeed need more effort. A heavier bike will not need more effort. Bike weight has no effect of effort, unless you are talking about exclusively uphill riding.
Old 09-15-23, 12:30 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
???

Not clear to me why "heavier" and "less efficient" are lumped together here. Less efficient bike will indeed need more effort. A heavier bike will not need more effort. Bike weight has no effect of effort, unless you are talking about exclusively uphill riding.
Yeah! I mean ... physics, yeah, right ... what do physicians know about cycling.
Old 09-15-23, 12:32 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by Steve B.
In my 25 years of bike commuting I found there was nothing to be gained by trying to go faster.
I pretty much rode each ride as itself. because I was younger, and in much, much better shape, I enjoyed going fast more often, but each ride was just a ride. Traffic was always different, weather was always different, I was always different. Every ride was different.

The only part that was the same is I ended up at work and deflated .....
Old 09-15-23, 12:39 PM
AndreyT

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Yeah! I mean ... physics, yeah, right ... what do physicians know about cycling.
Exactly: physics. Which clearly and explicitly tells us that weight/mass has no effect on effort when riding with constant speed. Physics tells us that on a flat course mass matters only when accelerating or decelerating, but still adds that any increase in effort during acceleration is precisely balanced out by the decrease in effort during deceleration. And that pesky physics goes even further: it even tells us the same thing about riding a conservative non-flat course, i.e. any effort spent while climbing on a heavier bike will be compensated precisely by reduced effort while riding downhill on the same bicycle.

So, no matter how you slice it physics just can't stop reiterating: mass has no net effect on effort. But... what do physicians (sic) know about cycling, right?
Old 09-15-23, 12:44 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
In my 25 years of bike commuting I found there was nothing to be gained by trying to go faster. I saved my hard workouts for the weekends ont he faster group rides. Trying to save time on a commute often put me in conflict with cars, I would try to beat a soon channging traffic light, I wasn't paying attention, etc..... i found a slower steady pace was safer. I did use a lighter road/sport touring bike whenever possible as it was easier to get back upo to speed after countless traffic lights. I was leaving clothes and shoes at work so didn't have to carry panniers.
I agree with everything you just said, it parallels my own commuting experience....For anybody who lives in an urban area there are way too many things and hazards that can get in a way and prevent a person from going too fast...Trying to race against cars, drafting busses or trucks and racing against lights is just foolish and stupid. In all my years of commuting I was never late for work and always arrived at work refreshed and energized instead of burned out from a hard ride.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-15-23, 12:57 PM
Maelochs

Exactly: physics. Which clearly and explicitly tells us that weight/mass has no effect on effort when riding with constant speed. Physics tells us that on a flat course mass matters only when accelerating or decelerating, but still adds that any increase in effort during acceleration is precisely balanced out by the decrease in effort during deceleration. And that pesky physics goes even further: it even tells us the same thing about riding a conservative non-flat course, i.e. any effort spent while climbing on a heavier bike will be compensated precisely by reduced effort while riding downhill on the same bicycle.

So, no matter how you slice it physics just can't stop reiterating: mass has no net effect on effort. But... what do physicians (sic) know about cycling, right?
Yeah ... except, No.

The energy will be returned To The System. But not ... To The Rider.

Think it through. If the energy were returned to the rider, I could ride hills endlessly because no matter how hard I had to work to make the climb, I would be refreshed at the bottom right? Oh, I am sorry ... physiology also plays a part ... as in, the energy In A System remains the same, but a human being has a finite store of energy which must be replenished via Rest and Refueling.

It takes more Human energy to get a heavier bike up the hill. If this weren't the case, fat people would be winning the Tour de France, instead of emaciated people.

Just watch Filipo Ganna, who is 6'3" and 80 or 90 kg, trying to hang with the real climbers (if you have been following the Vuelta, this has been on your TV/PC screen many times this month.) Ganna Always drops off when the climbs get really steep ... not because Physics doesn't preserve energy, but because riding a bike uphill requires physical exertion.

I think maybe you forgot that the world "energy" has multiple definitions.

If your idea is correct ... a person could ride forever without eating, as long as there were hills to climb, because s/he would recoup all the energy used to climb the hill on the descent. I hope this is clear. If not, consult some of the engineers on the site, or the mathematicians, who also ride bikes. They can explain it in terms of physics equations and such ... but i am not so stupid to think the Conservation of Energy means that so long as I lift a barbell and set it down, it takes no energy ......
Old 09-15-23, 01:03 PM
AndreyT

In my 25 years of bike commuting I found there was nothing to be gained by trying to go faster.
There is.

The biggest problem with bike commuting is plain boredom. The boredom of riding the same route again, again and again, day after day. Of course, one can always alter their route to make things more interesting, but the number of practical ones is usually too limited.

And this is where "trying to go faster" comes into the picture. One finds a number of good segments along the route and tries to compete with oneself by riding them faster, faster and faster. This is something to look forward to while riding a commuting route. That's something that makes things more interesting.

This is something I found in my 25 years of bike commuting.
Old 09-15-23, 01:09 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
So no traffic lights, stop signs or slowing down for traffic on this commute? Weight will be a factor evry time you have to accelerate back to speed, though a more upright position and rolling resistance are probably a bigger issue.
Old 09-15-23, 01:11 PM
AndreyT

The energy will be returned To The System. But not ... To The Rider.
Yes, that is absolutely correct. That's actually the reason we strive to make bicycles lighter. But that's not physics anymore. That's human anatomy and physiology.

(One can actually attempt to take the human out of the picture by adding some kind of energy recovery capability to the bicycle, but that's a wholly different story.)

If your idea is correct ... a person could ride forever without eating...
Not sure what "idea" you are talking about and where did you manage to find such "idea" in what I stated above. When riding bicycles, we spend most effort fighting the air resistance. And that has nothing to do with the bicycle's weight.
Old 09-15-23, 01:24 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,308 Times in 2,949 Posts
Exactly: physics. Which clearly and explicitly tells us that weight/mass has no effect on effort when riding with constant speed ...
... which is why freight trains are powered by hamsters.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-15-23, 01:25 PM
Maelochs

Not sure what "idea" you are talking about and where did you manage to find such "idea" in what I stated above.
The idea that the weight of a bicycle has no effect on the amount of energy needed to move it, would be the idea which seems to me, being uneducated, to fly in the face of both physics and physiology. The idea that the weight of a bicycle has no effect on the amount of energy needed to move it, would be the idea which seems to me, being uneducated, to fly in the face of both physics and physiology.
When riding bicycles, we spend most effort fighting the air resistance. And that has nothing to do with the bicycle's weight.
Actually, we are fighting inertia up until about 15 or 18 mph (depending on the rider, bike, posture, etc .. . cD, I think it might be called coefficient of drag ... ) After that, the resistance due to air keeps growing while the effect of inertia drops off ... but of course, no one rides in a perfectly steady state on perfectly flat ground ...

I might not be abler to calculate arithmetic versus exponential growth in effort required, but I understand the concept ... and I also know that f you tool around at 10 mph you are mostly fighting your own mass and the mass of the bike. Considering that the OP referenced a person who was Riding Slowly,and Commuting (which often means many stops for traffic ... ) I'd say this person is not mainly fighting the wind.

Whatever. You go home and strap a few truck batteries to your bike so you can get more energy from the downhills. Let us know how that works for you ... but oh ... be sure to use some sort of aerodynamic fairing.
Old 09-15-23, 01:35 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

I want to race with you. I get to pick the bikes. Since weight has no effect on effort, you shouldn't mind if I ride a really light one and pick a really heavy one for you. I'll even let you pick the course. It could be flat or even conservative hills. Lots of turns to require accelerating and decelerating, or one straight line, whatever you like. With physics on your side, you should have no trouble. Effort will be the same for both of us right? How much you want to wager for the winner?
Old 09-15-23, 01:46 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
???

It's a commute, not a TT. Many stops/starts.
Old 09-15-23, 01:57 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

The biggest--though not the only--problem with claiming that any effort you put into positive acceleration will be returned 100% when negative acceleration inevitably takes place is this: Your muscles get you moving, converting chemical energy in your body into kinetic energy, through a series of biological and artificial machines, but at the other end of the equation, the kinetic energy gets "thrown away" as it's turned into heat through friction (by another artificial machine we call brakes). Also, wind resistance applies negatively at both ends of the equation; we're not riding in a vacuum. This is a more specific explanation of what Maelochs referred to above as the system but not the rider seeing energy returned.

And I know... there was a qualifying statement of "when riding at constant speed." The trouble with that is we never ride bikes at constant speed, most certainly not when commuting.

Last edited by Broctoon; 09-15-23 at 02:05 PM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 09-15-23, 02:14 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
You jest, but runners do this unironically
I worked with a guy that was a semi pro football player. He showed me pics of him sprinting with what kind of looked the chutes to drag cars.

Last edited by SkinGriz; 09-15-23 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-15-23, 02:15 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
There is.

The biggest problem with bike commuting is plain boredom. The boredom of riding the same route again, again and again, day after day. Of course, one can always alter their route to make things more interesting, but the number of practical ones is usually too limited.

And this is where "trying to go faster" comes into the picture. One finds a number of good segments along the route and tries to compete with oneself by riding them faster, faster and faster. This is something to look forward to while riding a commuting route. That's something that makes things more interesting.

This is something I found in my 25 years of bike commuting.
...where exactly did you commute (what city) ? Because I was usually too busy trying to keep from getting killed by some guy driving a car, here, to get bored.
I did commute for a while in Merced, CA. That might have gotten boring, were it not for the thick morning fog in winter. That was always exciting.
Old 09-15-23, 02:20 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

I think it’s just important that she exercises and has a good (enough) time.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 09-15-23, 02:23 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...where exactly did you commute (what city) ? Because I was usually too busy trying to keep from getting killed by some guy driving a car, here, to get bored.
I did commute for a while in Merced, CA. That might have gotten boring, were it not for the thick morning fog in winter. That was always exciting.
When I was in HS on the way to school I passed by a property with a lot of massive dove coats full of birds.

Free smelling salts to wake me up every morning.
Old 09-15-23, 02:24 PM
AndreyT

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Silicon Valley. Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Campbell, Santa Clara, Los Gatos. I choose my routes to include quieter residential streets as much as possible. Most of the route I don't have to worry about cars.
Old 09-15-23, 02:29 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
It's a commute, not a TT. Many stops/starts.
This, every day plus the added unexpected stops resulting from vehicular assaults. No way of knowing how many of those/commute ahead of time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.