Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

does 3x require more shifting than 2x?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

does 3x require more shifting than 2x?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-23, 02:58 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
For the record, the subject of this thread is worded incorrectly. Should say: does 2x require more shifting than 3x?
My argument: when I ride my triple on the flats, Im in the middle ring, middle cog, use the RD to conform to minor changes in conditions. With a double, there is no middle ring or middle cog. For minor adjustments, dont you constantly have to upshift/downshift using both FD & RD?
Old 09-22-23, 02:59 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
For the record, the subject of this thread is worded incorrectly. Should say: does 2x require more shifting than 3x?
My argument: when I ride my triple on the flats, Im in the middle ring, middle cog, use the RD to conform to minor changes in conditions. With a double, there is no middle ring or middle cog. For minor adjustments, dont you constantly have to upshift/downshift using both FD & RD?
In case you missed it ... IT DEPENDS.
Old 09-22-23, 03:02 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
In case you missed it ... IT DEPENDS.
ty 4 reminding me
Old 09-22-23, 03:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Depends entirely on what the big and small ring, and the cassette cogs are. I find with 53/39 and a 12-28 or 12-30 cassette, I don't shift the FD that often. With a 50/34 and 12-28, I do. 52/36 x 11-34, probably even less than the 53/39.

And that's just doubles.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-22-23, 03:14 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
We would love to have the definitive answer ... to Every question ... and often imagine that we do.

However .... It Depends.

The only answer I could give you would be: buy two identical bikes and bunch of chain rings and cassettes, and set up one triple and one double, and experiment with different ring and cog choices. Only you know the routes you ride and how you like to ride.

Some burly types here ride everything in one gear. Some use every one of 27 or t0 different ratios. Some ride hills, or mountains, or both, or neither.

It took me time to figure out what worked for me ... then i got old, got tied up with life, essentially had to restart, and everything was different. The recently I got ill and am restarting again. I don't even know what is best for me right now, or where or how much I am going to be riding .... and I hope to change up my whole life anyway.

I cannot even tell you what is best for me today ... I can only imagine a week or a month from now .... and until i get a whole lot more whole-body fitness, I can't even dream of riding my MTB. In a few months, though, I will hit a season of (possibly) frequent and demanding work which will basically negate riding for a couple months ... so I will again be starting over.

Dude .... i just want to ride my bike more and better ... and do everything else in my life better ... I have no clue what is best for you.
Old 09-22-23, 03:19 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
So, the older I get I'm starting to have an incontinence problem riding no matter how many chainrings I have up front. What's the best way I can deal with the issue?
Old 09-22-23, 03:24 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by seypat
So, the older I get I'm starting to have an incontinence problem riding no matter how many chainrings I have up front. What's the best way I can deal with the issue?
That is one of the better jokes I have seen here ..... Very, very much better than most. Very well played ......
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-22-23, 03:39 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
My 2x bikes are 44/28 so basically 1x with a bailout both w/ 11-36 cassettes . My 3x is 44/34/24 w/11-34 so I get more mid range. My 1x is a 38 with 11-42 cassette and if functions fine.
Old 09-22-23, 07:11 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
No. When I ride a 2x on the flats it just stays in the big ring. I have never ever shifted the front just to find a slightly different gear in between 2 adjacent gears on the same ring. Not on a 2x5 or a 2x12. Only on BF have I ever heard of people riding like that. It sounds insane to me.

So on my last flat 100 mile ride I shifted the front only 4 times and the rear 800+.

I only shift the front for significant climbs.
Old 09-22-23, 07:28 PM
PeteHski

I actually ride 3X to reduce my overall shifting. Not as much of an issue if you're not using shimano STIs with the dreaded long throw of the brake lever shift, or electronic. Still have to hold/push that button. But to answer your question, no. I'd much rather shift the FD once or twice and the RD 2-3 times than shift the FD once and the RD 7+ only to have to do it again in reverse down the road 500 yards. Not much of an issue if the terrain stays constant for a while. But if it's varying constantly like a roller coaster, I'll even take friction.
I find rear shifting so quick and slick on a modern drivetrain (especially electronic) that I don’t care how many rear shifts I need. Front shifting however is still relatively slow and clunky by nature, especially going up. So I prefer less front shifting, although it doesn’t bother me much on a road bike.

Modern electronic drivetrains are a joy to use and make shifting totally effortless. Sounds to me like you would benefit more than most.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-22-23, 07:44 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
1 x systems have been a boom to the bike industry, which requires something hot and fresh every few years to churn the stock.

Previously, the industry was on a 7 year cycle of adding yet another cassette cog, which obviously rendered all previous systems obsolete and useless. However, with 11-speed, even the most gullible and slavish devotee of the industry had figured out enough was enough. 22 gear combinations not enough? Actually, 9 x 2 systems were past the point of diminishing returns.

But, by removing all but one chainring, and reducing the gear range and the expanding the jumps between cogs, there actually was a need for more cassette cogs. So now we're at 13-tooth cassettes (and growing). This gives the industry a few more years of 'technological development' time, to add yet more cogs on the regular schedule.

Last edited by Dave Mayer; 09-22-23 at 08:03 PM.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 09-22-23, 08:07 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Previously, the industry was on a 7 year cycle of adding yet another cassette cog, which obviously rendered all previous systems obsolete and useless.
The introduction of 12-speed cassettes certainly didn't render my 11-speed setups useless.
Old 09-22-23, 08:11 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
One more advantage of 1 x systems: cost and maintenance frequency for the industry.

Previously, on close-ratio cassettes, a rider had several adjacent cogs to choose from while riding on flat terrain. So I tend to wear out the 17-tooth cog, but also spend a lot of time in the 16 and 19.

However, with the giant pie-plate cassette required on the 1 x, I would have no other flatland choice but the 17, as the next closest cogs would be the infrequently used 15 and 20. So my $300 cassettes would wear out at double the rate of previous, a boon to component manufacturers and retailers. Add the $100 cost of a 12-speed chain, versus $30 for a decent 10-speed chain.

Add this to the benefit of customer inventory churn, and the big savings to retailers of not having to spend an extra 5 minutes per bike for setting up a triple.
Old 09-22-23, 08:15 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
No. When I ride a 2x on the flats it just stays in the big ring. I have never ever shifted the front just to find a slightly different gear in between 2 adjacent gears on the same ring. Not on a 2x5 or a 2x12. Only on BF have I ever heard of people riding like that. It sounds insane to me.

So on my last flat 100 mile ride I shifted the front only 4 times and the rear 800+.

I only shift the front for significant climbs.
Well, I am known as The Deranged. Other than that, the more I've ridden, the more I've discovered that riding in a very close range of cadences gives me a little longer period to exhaustion. That moniker is maybe because of my habit of frequently riding to exhaustion on long rides. I like to leave it on the road - seems to me that's of future benefit. Plus it's faster. Higher cadence = more oxygen/carb use. Lower cadence = more muscle damage. There's a fine balance there somewhere, which balance also varies with the ride. Nothing like a mountain 400 to take it out of you. I call it "titrating the pain." Yeah, all this cycling stuff sounds insane to most people. Probably is. It's nice that no one else gets damaged. -DD
Old 09-22-23, 08:21 PM
Maelochs

Mr. Hski .... I suggest riding into a strong headwind, particularly when fully loaded, particularly after a long day in the saddle.

I might be insane but I know how to use the mechanical advantages the bicycle offers to my maximum advantage ... and sometimes it matters.

Maybe it is simply that nobody told you that being int he right gear mattered? or maybe you have never actually ridden near enough to your limit?

Sorry if that sounds demeaning but you know how we insane people can act sometimes .... I have been in situations where searching for just the right ratio really did seem to matter .... but since our entire existence is really just a construct in our head, of which we are only aware milliseconds after the external reality has changed ... who can really tell?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-22-23, 08:27 PM
tomato coupe

One more advantage of 1 x systems: cost and maintenance frequency for the industry.

Previously, on close-ratio cassettes, a rider had several adjacent cogs to choose from while riding on flat terrain. So I tend to wear out the 17-tooth cog, but also spend a lot of time in the 16 and 19.

However, with the giant pie-plate cassette required on the 1 x, I would have no other flatland choice but the 17, as the next closest cogs would be the infrequently used 15 and 20. So my $300 cassettes would wear out at double the rate of previous, a boon to component manufacturers and retailers. Add the $100 cost of a 12-speed chain, versus $30 for a decent 10-speed chain.

Add this to the benefit of customer inventory churn, and the big savings to retailers of not having to spend an extra 5 minutes per bike for setting up a triple.
The idea that people spend most of their time on one cog of a wide-range cassette, and rarely use the adjacent cogs, is pure nonsense.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-22-23, 09:04 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Mr. Hski .... I suggest riding into a strong headwind, particularly when fully loaded, particularly after a long day in the saddle.

I might be insane but I know how to use the mechanical advantages the bicycle offers to my maximum advantage ... and sometimes it matters.

Maybe it is simply that nobody told you that being int he right gear mattered? or maybe you have never actually ridden near enough to your limit?

Sorry if that sounds demeaning but you know how we insane people can act sometimes .... I have been in situations where searching for just the right ratio really did seem to matter .... but since our entire existence is really just a construct in our head, of which we are only aware milliseconds after the external reality has changed ... who can really tell?
Not much I hate more than not being able to be in the right gear, or as close as I can be, for me and my riding style, when riding fully loaded, especially while climbing on dirt/gravel.

You’ll have to pry my triple out of my cold, dead BB shell.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-22-23, 10:39 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I find rear shifting so quick and slick on a modern drivetrain (especially electronic) that I don’t care how many rear shifts I need. Front shifting however is still relatively slow and clunky by nature, especially going up. So I prefer less front shifting, although it doesn’t bother me much on a road bike.

Modern electronic drivetrains are a joy to use and make shifting totally effortless. Sounds to me like you would benefit more than most.
I understand that you have a good user experience with your drivetrain. My issue is not with that, bur rather me, with a rig which doesn't need much shifting, sitting on your wheel in rolling terrain. That's the irritating thing for me which doesn't bother you.
Old 09-22-23, 11:33 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
No.

Wear black shorts.

Originally Posted by Broctoon
People who want a 3x drivetrain:

- Those who are used to them because it's what they've always had, because for decades it was the only affordable way to get a really wide total gear range.

- Touring riders who understand gearing and know they need a really wide total range and will be well served to also have small steps at each shift. (These guys also are not too concerned about weight or complexity.)

- Those who think more is always better. "You only have 20 speeds? I have a 21 speed, and I'm going to upgrade to a 27 speed." They multiply number of chainrings by number of cogs, and just want the combo that will give the highest product.
Your list is incomplete.

- Those folks who somehow got old, and want a smaller chainring now.

To the OP: The answer to the question in your thread title is: No.

Next!
Old 09-23-23, 03:50 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
I have been using triple cranks on all my mountain bikes and my hybrid bike during more than twenty years, until the 2010's nobody really cared about double or single cranks on mountain bikes.Most of the mountain bike championships until 2010's were won with triple cranksets(often the XTR group). Randonneur bikes also use triple crankset. My race bikes are double crankset and only my city bike has a single crank
Old 09-23-23, 04:47 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by georges1
I have been using triple cranks on all my mountain bikes and my hybrid bike during more than twenty years, until the 2010's nobody really cared about double or single cranks on mountain bikes.Most of the mountain bike championships until 2010's were won with triple cranksets(often the XTR group). Randonneur bikes also use triple crankset. My race bikes are double crankset and only my city bike has a single crank
You are correct, but now we are in the 2020s and mountain bikers much prefer 1x to the point that everything else has literally disappeared (unless you ride a very low end or older bike pre 1x era).
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-23-23, 04:50 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I understand that you have a good user experience with your drivetrain. My issue is not with that, bur rather me, with a rig which doesn't need much shifting, sitting on your wheel in rolling terrain. That's the irritating thing for me which doesn't bother you.
So you think that I need to shift more or less than you in rolling terrain? I don't follow this argument.
Old 09-23-23, 05:02 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Maelochs

If I ride on the flat in a strong headwind (which is quite often here) I may decide to ride on the small ring. The flat effectively becomes a hill (Dutch hills have no crests). What I wouldn't need to do is constantly flip from big to small ring - which was the question I was addressing in relation to 3x vs 2x drivetrains. It was implied that 2x riders might need to be "constantly" shifting front rings while riding on the flat , while 3x riders wouldn't, which to me is complete nonsense. That's why I posted some actual 2x shift data from a wide variety of ride profiles from flat to mountain routes. I'm 55 years old and been riding bikes since the mid 1970s so I'm not really a noob at this.

Last edited by PeteHski; 09-23-23 at 05:26 AM.
Old 09-23-23, 05:11 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Well, I am known as The Deranged. Other than that, the more I've ridden, the more I've discovered that riding in a very close range of cadences gives me a little longer period to exhaustion. That moniker is maybe because of my habit of frequently riding to exhaustion on long rides. I like to leave it on the road - seems to me that's of future benefit. Plus it's faster. Higher cadence = more oxygen/carb use. Lower cadence = more muscle damage. There's a fine balance there somewhere, which balance also varies with the ride. Nothing like a mountain 400 to take it out of you. I call it "titrating the pain." Yeah, all this cycling stuff sounds insane to most people. Probably is. It's nice that no one else gets damaged. -DD
So how does any of that relate to 2x vs 3x shifting exactly? Are you saying that a 2x12 is too granular for your narrow cadence range? What specific 3x setup do you require?
Old 09-23-23, 05:14 AM
PeteHski

1 x systems have been a boom to the bike industry, which requires something hot and fresh every few years to churn the stock.

Previously, the industry was on a 7 year cycle of adding yet another cassette cog, which obviously rendered all previous systems obsolete and useless. However, with 11-speed, even the most gullible and slavish devotee of the industry had figured out enough was enough. 22 gear combinations not enough? Actually, 9 x 2 systems were past the point of diminishing returns.

But, by removing all but one chainring, and reducing the gear range and the expanding the jumps between cogs, there actually was a need for more cassette cogs. So now we're at 13-tooth cassettes (and growing). This gives the industry a few more years of 'technological development' time, to add yet more cogs on the regular schedule.
What you are describing here (with extreme cynicism) is evolution.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.