Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Taichung & Nantou County, Taiwan

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-24, 07:16 PM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts

I am contemplating a tour of Taiwan next month. The plan is to fly into Touyuan aiport, bus it from there to Taichung making use of the UBUS service that departs from the airport and start my tour in Taichung. After riding and exploring Taichung City proper, I'm thinking of heading southeast toward Nantou county and doing the bulk of my riding there, sans camping or cooking gear, relying on road-side accommodation. Depending on conditions, I may even ride up to Wuling at 3,275masl, take a pic and ride back down. Any comments or suggestions about touring this part of central Taiwan?

P.S. I already did the East Coast a few years back.

The heart of the matter, the heart of Taiwan

Last edited by Ron Damon; 03-15-24 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-17-24, 12:13 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
We did that climb this past Christmas from the east side via Taroko Park. It's a tough climb and you may begin to regret your life halfway up.

Be aware that Road 8 west of Lishan town is permanently closed due to landslide damage so don't try to loop through there.

We liked the Rainbow Village attraction in Taichung. The National Museum of Natural Science was also excellent. On par with the New York and DC museums.

Last edited by Yan; 03-17-24 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-17-24, 12:32 AM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
We did that climb this past Christmas from the east side via Taroko Park. It's a tough climb and you may begin to regret your life halfway up.

Be aware that Road 8 west of Lishan town is permanently closed due to landslide damage so don't try to loop through there.

We liked the Rainbow Village attraction in Taichung. The National Museum of Natural Science was also excellent. On par with the New York and DC museums.
I am thinking of climbing up to Lishan via Route 89 (orange arrow) from Ren'ai in the south, and then swing east and south again via Routes 8 and 14 ending up in Ren'ai again over two days. This means I would approach Wuling gradually and from the north.

Ren'ai to Lishan via Rt.89

Yes, I am aware of the closure of Rt. 8 mid-way down to Taichung west of Lishan.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 03-17-24 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-17-24, 12:07 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
I am thinking of climbing up to Lishan via Route 89 from the south, and then swing east and south via Routes 8 and 14. This means I would approach Wuling gradually and from the north.

Yes, I am aware of the closure of Rt. 8 mid-way down to Taichung west of Lishan.
Try the persimmons at Lishan. They are expensive but are the best I've ever had. I suggest the below place for lunch.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/enjTEQpthb1p5U9Y7
​​​​​
Likes For Yan: