Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do some dislike Trek bicycles / corporation?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do some dislike Trek bicycles / corporation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-24, 12:52 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
I refuse to give Lance Armstrong any slack at all. In fact I had no idea he was involved with Trek. But his longtime lying and purposely hurting other riders cannot be forgiven. Trek is an OK bike, nothing special in my mind.
Aw, c'mon man. Didn't he say that he was sorry?
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 01-19-24, 01:56 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Despite having aged 13 years, this silly thread has not developed merit.
It turned straight to vinegar.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-19-24, 01:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
I have always suspected that attention to detail is related to quality. That does seem to be the case with other sorts of products.

Of course gobby welds may well be the sine qua non of quality bicycles.
Who am I to say?
The outer appearance of a weld, in and of itself, simply isnt an indicator of the build quality.
Bikes can have welds so thick it looks like toothpaste was squirted out of a tube, and the frame's build quality is top notch. Bikes can have smoothed welds that look almost like Ritchey level fillet brazing, and the frame's build quality is sketch because too much smoothing took place at part of a joint.

Frank the Welder is legendary in frame building circles and below are some of frame fabrications. The welds look even and perfectly done(I certainly dont know enough to suggest otherwise), but they are not smoothed. This is a style, just like smoothed welds on older US build Cannondales is a style. Neither style suggest a higher level of quality though.

Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-19-24, 02:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

I refuse to give Lance Armstrong any slack at all. In fact I had no idea he was involved with Trek.

And yet- it totally tracks for you.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-19-24, 04:05 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

And yet- it totally tracks for you.
how do you figure that? I hate Lance for all his cheating and lies. I never connected Trek with him. That’s not the way I operate.
Old 01-19-24, 04:52 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
I refuse to give Lance Armstrong any slack at all. In fact I had no idea he was involved with Trek. But his longtime lying and purposely hurting other riders cannot be forgiven. Trek is an OK bike, nothing special in my mind.
Perfect response to a ridiculous 13 year old thread, A ridiculous response.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 01-19-24, 04:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
how do you figure that? I hate Lance for all his cheating and lies. I never connected Trek with him. That’s not the way I operate.
Then how do you hate Lance if you don't understand Lance as a cyclist. He rode Treks for most of his career and especially the parts people really know him, Trek was a major sponsor and a big part of his life, it was on his jerseys and his bikes and probably more. He also sells Trek's out of his Austin shop Mellow Johnny's (hate him or not it is a very nice shop and I don't think he is really involved day to day) It is like saying I hate Jared Fogel but I didn't know anything about Subway.

Trek may or may not have had anything to do with the doping but they are one of the most important sponsors being they gave him bicycles which you cannot do a bicycle race without.

For the record I dislike Trek these days you do pay more to get less with Trek. That might not have been so true back in the day but now they have become corporate to an extreme and so known for their brand they rest of those laurels like it was a stack of mattresses.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-19-24, 05:16 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
How strong is the evidence that performance-enhancing drugs are in fact performance-enhancing?
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 01-19-24, 05:45 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,438 Times in 2,764 Posts
They were all dopers and Lance whipped them, year after year. Whiners. I wish he'd had sense enough to keep his mouth shut. Now back to Trek bashing. Or was it Spesh?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-19-24, 06:09 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Trek is an OK bike, nothing special in my mind.
Which Trek? Trek makes a very wide range of bikes serving an immense range of riding styles and riders, from toddlers to World Tour racers.

This one may not suit your style - and that's fine - but it's hard to argue that it isn't kinda special...
Old 01-19-24, 06:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Eric F
Which Trek? Trek makes a very wide range of bikes serving an immense range of riding styles and riders, from toddlers to World Tour racers.

This one may not suit your style - and that's fine - but it's hard to argue that it isn't kinda special...
Bit really- what's the giant black wrap on the fork?
Old 01-19-24, 06:34 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Bit really- what's the giant black wrap on the fork?
It could be a Rapha band.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-19-24, 06:58 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Spring can't get here quick enough.

Old 01-19-24, 07:04 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
Great bikes-I have 2: A CF 5200 from about 20 years ago and a tandem from older than that. I love the bikes.

But the company?

I don't like that they kicked out all the local shops and now are exclusively corporate owned. In my experience, they have that corporate attitude that is very arrogant. If I want, I can go to the Apple store.

Secondly, a good friend of mine bought a Trek with disk brakes, electronic shifting, all the stuff. A few months into ownership, a loose bolt from the water bottle cage came loose, got stuck between the chainring and frame and caused some minor damage. Their build, their fault. We were riding together, I saw it. Their solution, was to offer 10% off a new frame. THAT, is why I won't buy a Trek.
Likes For bblair:
Old 01-19-24, 07:19 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
Great bikes-I have 2: A CF 5200 from about 20 years ago and a tandem from older than that. I love the bikes.

But the company?

I don't like that they kicked out all the local shops and now are exclusively corporate owned. In my experience, they have that corporate attitude that is very arrogant. If I want, I can go to the Apple store.

Secondly, a good friend of mine bought a Trek with disk brakes, electronic shifting, all the stuff. A few months into ownership, a loose bolt from the water bottle cage came loose, got stuck between the chainring and frame and caused some minor damage. Their build, their fault. We were riding together, I saw it. Their solution, was to offer 10% off a new frame. THAT, is why I won't buy a Trek.
I was not aware that they “kicked out” all the dealers. Sounds like fake news to me but will leave that fight to others.

The fact they offered any discount at all to someone who had a water bottle bolt come loose is amazing. This is on the guy who doesn’t check his bike over once in a while. Rather than turn on Trek coach your friend on basic bike maintenance.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 01-19-24, 07:41 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
How you could educate yourself on the details and not learn of the Trek connection boggles my mind.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-19-24, 08:21 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Spring can't get here quick enough.
...short sleeves and bib shorts on the bike ride today, here in Sacramento.
I would have ridden this Trek, (one of the last built in America,) but there's still some puddles, so I went with fenders.

Trek has gone through a lot of iterations over the years. Started out as a source for American built quality frames, at affordable prices. Was finally forced to offshore more and more production, to remain competitive in sales. Of all the Trek bashing I hear lately, it has to do with their current expansion into local markets by buying local bike shops and converting them to less well stocked, and less generally helpful, Trek stores.

That's what happened here in Sacramento. But I didn't work there when it was City Bicycle, and I don't work there now that it's Trek. It's not all that useful to me, personally.

I have one of their old hand brazed Columbus frames that I repainted/restored, and am looking forward to putting it back together. Trek was once a shining example of what American bike manufacturing could do.
Old 01-19-24, 08:55 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Have owned two Trek mountain bikes. Both were bullet proof, competent yet uninspired. My wife has a Trek e-bike and it has excellent engineering and my wife loves it.

Lance also rode on of these - now hanging in my garage. Ask me if I care.

Old 01-19-24, 10:11 PM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 33 Posts
I hate Trek…they didn’t hire me back in 1976!
Likes For Buzzkill53120:
Old 01-19-24, 11:22 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
How you could educate yourself on the details and not learn of the Trek connection boggles my mind.
I've ran across folks that purchase budlight, yet have not a clue of the bad rap that BL got themselves into. Additionally, it didn't change my thoughts on them people as it 'is what it is' .
Old 01-20-24, 05:45 AM
seypat

Going back to the original post, I'd say it's #3 and #5. I have an 82/83 Trek with a set of rims made by a small company. Tru-America Corp was the name I think. It was a good reputable product until Trek bought the company out and started dumbing down the product. Mostly though, my disdain for the company comes from the fan boys. The 82/83 Trek I have is a good bike, but certainly not superior to any comparable Japanese bike from a reputable company from that era. Same for the modern era. Good bikes, but not any better than their competitors. The Trek fanboys though, they're like carni barkers shouting the praises of all things Trek/Trek related to any other person they come in contact with. I'm sure they'd buy underwear, jockstraps, dental floss, whatever from Trek if they could get it with a Trek related name. That's where my Trek hating comes from.

Last edited by seypat; 01-20-24 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-20-24, 06:23 AM
seypat

Rant not over yet. The typical(but not always) Trek fanboy/girl seems to be the person that has/had no previous experience in the sport/activity. Same phenomenon happens out there with lots of companies/products. Nike and Garmin come to mind. So, average Joe/Jill decides to try their hand at whatever. In this case, it's cycling. So, they do some reading and decide to get a Trek. It's a Murican company and has a cool name. They go into the closest LBS. The LBS sells them a bike and loads them up with Trek related accessories because the margins are better on those. Guy/girl goes out, rides around and enjoys it. They take to social media, contact their circle, etc to talk about how great Trek is and get some kudos/backslapping/purchase verication. They encounter the Trek disdain. In typical BF fashion, they find a message board and start posts like this one. As Sonny and Cher once sang, "And the beat goes on."
Old 01-20-24, 06:23 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
( ( ( ) ) )

Why ? Because everybody loves somebody sometime .....

Likes For Garthr:
Old 01-20-24, 06:40 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Lance also rode on of these - now hanging in my garage. Ask me if I care.

Did he stay on for 8 seconds like a real bull rider, was it the one on the right or left, and do you have a head mount or just the hide?

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-20-24, 07:04 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Stop digging...
Likes For wheelreason:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.