Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pon Bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-24, 07:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked 4,006 Times in 2,675 Posts
You should see what PON holdings their parent company does...holy moly. I was talking with one of our old reps from one of the PON brands and they were saying how much stuff they do beyond bikes and that bikes is super important to them being Dutch but basically is a decimal point in what they make even though they own a ton of big brands.

I think he was saying they do things from car distribution in Europe (Volkswagen, Audi, Lamborghini...) Commercial vehicles (CAT and MAN) and some less than reputable stuff like forced animal insemination. It is crazy,
Old 01-03-24, 09:39 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
some less than reputable stuff like forced animal insemination. It is crazy,
Less reputable? Common modern genetics and breeding. Has been for decades.

https://www.absglobal.com/about/
Old 01-04-24, 12:11 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed

The guy is vegan, it's in his name.
Dont be surprised if someone that is vegan views forced insemination of animals as controversial(less reputable).
Old 01-04-24, 07:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by dedhed

Would you want it to happen to you or someone you care about? Being common doesn't make it OK? There are a lot of things that have been common throughout the years that has later been found to be wrong and less reputable. We just don't want to call it what it is because it makes us feel bad and makes us not want to exploit others.
Old 01-04-24, 08:06 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Would you want it to happen to you or someone you care about? Being common doesn't make it OK? There are a lot of things that have been common throughout the years that has later been found to be wrong and less reputable. We just don't want to call it what it is because it makes us feel bad and makes us not want to exploit others.
Sounds like questions you need to ask in P&R rather than General
Old 01-04-24, 09:42 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
I'd think getting upset about forced insemination would just a be a small part of breeding them for brief lives of service in captivity before murdering them ... I mean, would you want it to happen to someone you know?

One another hand ... . Vegans Murder Vegetables.

To you they are tasty baby carrots, to the carrot plant they are murdered children, skinned and boiled and eaten.

That's life.
Old 01-05-24, 10:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I'd think getting upset about forced insemination would just a be a small part of breeding them for brief lives of service in captivity before murdering them ... I mean, would you want it to happen to someone you know?

One another hand ... . Vegans Murder Vegetables.

To you they are tasty baby carrots, to the carrot plant they are murdered children, skinned and boiled and eaten.

That's life.
Baby carrots are just trimmed adult carrots that have lost most of their flavor. Just wash your carrots and you don't need to skin them and boiling is not the ideal way to prepare a carrot in my eyes if not eating raw I would sauté them or bake them or grill them unless of course I was making a soup or stock but for the stock I would probably roast them first and probably ideally get them down to a smaller size for more surface area to extract more flavor.
Old 01-05-24, 10:31 PM
One Wheel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
Agreed!

I’m sure someone will soon be along pointing out where do the local builders buy their tubes for creating their frames and other components.
At least something is better than nothing!
I wonder if I could make a bike frame out of cow bones. I can locally source them. Femurs for the front triangle, bore out shin bones for head tube and bottom bracket, and ribs for seat and chain stays?

Well aware that this is a can of worms that I don't want to go too far into, but . . . : I'm a dairy farmer, "forced insemination" is an integral part of my business model. ABS Global is not a company I've done business with, but mostly because they don't happen to have bulls whose semen I want to buy. They're a solid, reputable company as far as I'm aware. More generally, Artificial Insemination has two primary benefits:
First, it's safer for the cows and for people. Bulls are big, clumsy, and can be violent. Without management cows will still get pregnant, but there would be much higher rates of inbreeding and injury.
Second, it allows a few genetically elite bulls to sire many more calves, thus allowing for drastically quicker selection for more efficient and healthier animals.

If your goal is no animal agriculture, dream on. If your goal is reduced animal agriculture, you should be in favor of selection allowing fewer animals to produce meat and milk more efficiently. If your goal is more humane animal agriculture you should be happy with the better safety of AI.

Cows are not people: I like my cows, they all have names and personalities. But they're not monogamous, they're not choosy about which bull they'll mate with, and some of them have to die every year in order to maintain a healthy herd. And they're delicious when they die, if it's planned and executed correctly.
Old 01-05-24, 10:53 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What I've seen between Chicago and minneapolis(only 2 I've looked before), road bikes rentals are $250-300 per week and are often multiple years old.

If someone could provide a high end Cervelo to lease for $20-50 per month, that would fundamentally change the entire industry.
Lease it for 4 years at the high end of that range and it would be a steal compared to what the market is right now.
If someone could have done it at such low rate and be profitable - fundamental goal of any business - it would have already been done. Renting a bicycle that consists $5000-8000 for about $250 a year cannot be a profitable business. If a bank sees such a proposal from a potential business for loan, they would have difficult time not laughing.
Old 01-05-24, 11:12 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by One Wheel
I wonder if I could make a bike frame out of cow bones. I can locally source them. Femurs for the front triangle, bore out shin bones for head tube and bottom bracket, and ribs for seat and chain stays?
???
I think you missed the point!

[There was someone on the west coast many years ago who built a bike out of bamboo. But since you are a cow guy, you could try making your ya-ba-da-ba-do bike with bones. Enjoy!]
Old 01-05-24, 11:59 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Baby carrots are just trimmed adult carrots that have lost most of their flavor.
Ummm .... yeah, you have facts to back that up? I don't see a company growing a bunch of carrots and trimming off 80 % as waste to sell "baby carrots."

But ... either by accident or for some other reason, to dodged the point. Great in fencing, not good in discussion.

Every living being consumes living beings. Your carrots are organic ... living beings farmed for your consumption, just like cows. You are killing and eating like any other predator ... just, for you, the chase is a lot easier.

I am a voluntary vegetarian for every possible reason .... but I do not pretend that I don't kill to live. And when we cook food ... we are killing all sorts of bacteria and parasites ... which are also living beings.

I am sorry but living involves killing. People who kill smaller, simpler lives and pretend to be better ... that is fine but I am not fooled.

Factory farming sucks .... but animal husbandry is a part of life, and I commend those who do it as humanely as possible.

But yeah ... farming is raising living beings in order to kill and consume them. I don't care if it is cows or carrots, we feed on life. Face it or deny it, it is still what it is.

Oh ... yeah, bicycles.
Old 01-06-24, 08:36 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 491 Posts
From the title, I imagined a very different direction for this thread.

https://odditymall.com/shuttlebike-b...ntoon-boat-kit
Old 01-06-24, 09:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Ummm .... yeah, you have facts to back that up? I don't see a company growing a bunch of carrots and trimming off 80 % as waste to sell "baby carrots."

But ... either by accident or for some other reason, to dodged the point. Great in fencing, not good in discussion.

Every living being consumes living beings. Your carrots are organic ... living beings farmed for your consumption, just like cows. You are killing and eating like any other predator ... just, for you, the chase is a lot easier.

I am a voluntary vegetarian for every possible reason .... but I do not pretend that I don't kill to live. And when we cook food ... we are killing all sorts of bacteria and parasites ... which are also living beings.

I am sorry but living involves killing. People who kill smaller, simpler lives and pretend to be better ... that is fine but I am not fooled.
https://www.businessinsider.com/baby...arrots-2015-12

1- you really don't know what baby carrots are?
2- you really think killing something that is knowingly sentient is the same as something that we don't view/isn't sentient?
3- you really think killing bacteria is some sort of good point in a discussion about animal treatment?

This belongs in p&r. For as annoying as they are with the periodic injection of animal right comments, the responses are often far worse.
Funny related comment- last July 4th someone posted a pic of their large dog wearing a couple of stars and stripes things. Small hat, bow tie, etc...that sort of thing. Vegbikes declared it abusive and I laughed at the absurdity of calling that abusive. Thats all you need to do there- dismiss the comments without getting into more, because 'more' for you apparently means arguing that killing bacteria is equal to all other killing. It's best if you sit out, if that's what you are going to add
Old 01-06-24, 12:01 PM
Maelochs

Yeah sorry, @mstateglfr, but I don't post at of for your pleasure. If you don't like what I post, don't read my posts.

The subject was "killing," Your points
... you really think killing something that is knowingly sentient is the same as something that we don't view/isn't sentient?
undoes itself. We decide what we think is alive and which lives are worthy. 250 years ago in America as well as a lot of other places, killing black people was considered fine ... they were lesser beings. Most people would object if you showed pictures of large groups of dogs and joked they were headed for the slaughter house .... but eating dog is not actually rare in human experience. We think we think of guinea pigs as pets ... in South America, they are food.

As for what is "sentient" .... yeah, what we Recognize as sentient.

There is a hotly debated but poisonous discussion I could mention anent all of this but i will not .... but it doesn't take much thinking ... another discussion where what each individual assumes is deemed all that matters.

By the way ... as far as I can tell cows are sentient, as are bulls (where I hear most beef is taken,) and pigs are said to be smarter than dogs. No one would call a chicken "smart," but i think we would say they are sentient .... but there is no scientific test anyway, so ... and as @one_Wheel mentions below (you know the cattle farmer who actually knows about the raising and slaughter of cattle) cows actually have different personalities .... which demonstrates that "sentience" is not the dividing line between what can be killed and what cannot, within a society.

It is social trends, not respect for sentience ..... so this whole point is meaningless. "...something that is knowingly sentient is the same as something that we don't view/isn't sentient?" is a straw man .... you set it up and knock it down but we aren't debating straw. You have no issue killing sentient beings.

(By the way, a grammar pint .. . "something that is knowingly sentient would mean "something that is self-aware of its self-awareness." I think you are trying to say that what matters is whether we deem the thing snetient, not whether it actually is ... but even that weak point won't stand because you don't really object to killing sentient beings.

... you really think killing bacteria is some sort of good point in a discussion about animal treatment?
Yes. If we are talking about a scale of living beings stretching from "okay to kill" to "not okay to kill," mentioning where any living being fits on that scale is valid. My point is that even for vegans, such a scale exists. Sorry you did not grasp that most obvious point.

I don't care if people eat meat. For a lot of people, their living conditions are such that their choices are limited ... in most of the world vegetarianism and more so veganism is a luxury lifestyle. People wealthy enough to choose sufficient nutrition pretending to be better than people who cannot choose (and often don't even get enough calories for Any source) is one of the things people dislike about veganism, in my experience.

I never said I was superior for my dietary choices ... I pointed out to Veganbiker that even he was willing to kill to eat. Again, sorry you missed that obvious point.

If all you are going to add to a thread is to tell people they cannot post things with which you disagree ... maybe sit this one out.

Maybe go ride a bicycle.
Old 01-06-24, 12:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Maybe go ride a bicycle.
pot kettle time.
Old 01-06-24, 01:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Garfield Cat Did you notice that the road side assistance is only for this brand of bikes that is only offered in a place where cycling is really big and more normal than owning a car?

https://www.fietsned.nl/
Old 01-06-24, 02:54 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by rosefarts
From the title, I imagined a very different direction for this thread.

https://odditymall.com/shuttlebike-b...ntoon-boat-kit
For winter use, I would like a snow plough attachment for a bicycle that can operated on slopes and throw snow at least 10 feet.
Old 01-06-24, 02:59 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
Note to All. Please stay on topic. No political type posts allowed in cycling forums.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 01-06-24, 04:16 PM
Maelochs

Likes For Maelochs:
Old 01-06-24, 04:17 PM
Maelochs

Sorry, @Homebrew01, I posted that before I read your warning .....