Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thru axles with rim brakes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-16, 07:19 PM
goatalope
Biking Viking.

Bikes: '01 Lemond Buenos Aires, '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 70s Austro Daimler Inter 10, 80s Motobecane Mirage 10 Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I keep reading how thru axles on road bikes with disc brakes stiffen up the frame. So why not put thru axles on rim brake versions?
Old 03-17-16, 02:08 AM
Zef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by goatalope
I keep reading how thru axles on road bikes with disc brakes stiffen up the frame. So why not put thru axles on rim brake versions?
The stiffening of the frame is a by-product effect of the thru axle design. There are 2 primary reasons for using thru axles with disk brakes:

1. Because of the high mechanical advantage of disk brakes couple with the offset moment of rotation (for lack of a better term), there is a tendency for the hub axle to be pulled out of the fork dropouts of an open-ended fork. The thru axle design eliminates this hazard.

2. With open dropouts and standard axles the tendency is that there is often rotor drag on the pads in the caliper when a wheel is removed and replaced often due to less then perfectly round axles. The thru axle design tends to eliminate this issue.

Increased frame stiffness is a big plus though and there is no reason why the design cannot be used on bikes designed for rim brakes...perhaps manufacturers will move to that as part of standardizing production of frames and forks.

-j
Old 03-17-16, 06:55 AM
Looigi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Also braking force is exerted on only one fork leg. Coupling the fork legs together helps distribute this load to both legs. With rim brakes, this isn't necessary.

Last edited by Looigi; 03-17-16 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-17-16, 09:18 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Years ago, when this change was driven into mountain bikes the same reasons were exposed as myth. The actual added stiffness is less than 10%. The real reason is lawsuits, the through axle eliminates accidents caused improper qr use, it's a bigger problem with disc brakes.
Old 03-17-16, 09:54 AM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
Also braking force is exerted on only one fork leg. Coupling the fork legs together helps distribute this load to both legs. With rim brakes, this isn't necessary.
The second fork leg is just added weight and should be left to dusty history books.
Old 03-17-16, 10:00 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 280 Posts
Thru-axles, which pretty much defeat the purpose of quick releases on wheels, exist to indemnify manufacturers against disk-brake wheel ejections.

On my bikes, since I pop the front wheel several times per day, fiddling with thru-axles would be a pain. Hell, the first thing I do with a new road bike is grind the !#@$!! lawyer tabs off of the forks. I know I cannot safely get away with this on disk-brake setups.

Yet another downside of disk brakes on road bikes. Aside from them being heavy, fussy and unnecessary.
Old 03-17-16, 10:15 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 87 Posts
I understand the rotation problem with disks and the front fork. Wouldn't this problem be solved if the caliper was on the front of the fork? Then the "rotation" induced by the caliper on the disk would tend to force the axle further into the fork.

Just askin' for my own curiosity. I don't have a disk bike.
Old 03-17-16, 02:04 PM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Then all the braking force would be on the teeny weeny little screws holding the caliper on. Although the front rim brake is on the front but the bolt for that runs all the way through the fork. You'd need to have bolts running all the way through the fork with front mounted disks too. Plus, with mountain bikes, you'd run the risk of ripping the caliper off if a stick or bush wedged itself between the wheel and front mounted caliper (always make sure QR skewers point backwards on MTBs for this reason).