Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are Aero Helmets Louder? (Wind Noise)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-23, 07:30 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts

TL;DR... Do any of you who wear an aero helmet notice an increase in wind noise over your non-aero helmet?

Earlier this year I purchased the Specialized S-Works Evade 3 helmet for reasons that had nothing to do with it being an aero helmet... Mainly it fits my "long oval" head better than any helmet I've ever owned in the past. One thing I noticed on my very first ride with the new helmet was how much wind noise I was hearing, even when there didn't seem to be any wind (other than me moving, of course). Since most of my rides are at least 2 to 4 hours long, the loud wind noise in my ears is annoying to me.

I've been wearing these geeky "Cat-Ears" (Amazon link) for years which have helped reduce wind noise on previous helmets, but they don't seem to do much with the Evade. After an entire summer of riding with the Evade, I still find the wind noise to be really high.

My theory is that because this helmet is an aero helmet with fewer vents, air doesn't go through the helmet, it goes around the helmet, and thus directly over my ears. I'm considering switching from wearing the Cat-Ears to using my Loop Quiet noise reducing ear plugs (Amazon link) as they do reduce ambient noise without blocking it out. I'm trying to strike a balance between getting rid of the annoying wind noise yet still be able to hear traffic.

Cat-Ears... Only for geeky cyclists like me that really hate wind noise...

Loop Quiet Noise Reducers...

Last edited by PoorInRichfield; 09-24-23 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-07-23, 07:40 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,579 Posts
I prefer the Loop Engage earplugs. They don't attenuate the high end nearly as much, but still cut down the wind noise quite a bit.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-07-23, 07:43 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 447 Posts
If wind noise bothers you while riding your bike, you'd really hate riding in a convertible.
Old 09-07-23, 09:19 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 424 Posts
I don’t think my helmets are necessarily “aero,” but I do notice the wind, and how it impacts my hearing from time to time. I keep telling myself that I need to set some of those Cat Ear things. Occasionally…and not sure why it’s only occasionally…I’ll experience a whistling created by the wind over some opening on the helmet surface.

Dan
Old 09-07-23, 10:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6278 Post(s)
Liked 4,864 Times in 3,353 Posts
Perhaps your ears are more exposed than with the previous helmet. Or it's made you so aero, you ride faster and therefore more wind is blowing through your ears! <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-07-23, 11:03 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 442 Posts
I have an aero helmet and a regular one with more ventilation for when I do hills, and I don't notice any difference.

EDIT: By aero helmet, I don't mean the ugly TT ones.
Old 09-07-23, 11:30 AM
PoorInRichfield

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
If wind noise bothers you while riding your bike, you'd really hate riding in a convertible.
Truth! I'm a "car guy" as well with no interest in a convertible. Plenty of research done to show that extended trips with the top down at higher speeds can indeed cause damage to one's hearing. No thank you.
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 09-07-23, 11:33 AM
PoorInRichfield

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I prefer the Loop Engage earplugs. They don't attenuate the high end nearly as much, but still cut down the wind noise quite a bit.
I will check those out! I think the Loop ear plugs are way overpriced, but they work, are very comfortable, and don't stick-out a mile from one's ears... so I guess they're worth it.
Old 09-07-23, 11:39 AM
PoorInRichfield

Originally Posted by Iride01
Perhaps your ears are more exposed than with the previous helmet.
That could be. The Evade does seem to ride higher on my head than my previous helmet, a Giro Synthe.
Originally Posted by Iride01
Or it's made you so aero, you ride faster and therefore more wind is blowing through your ears! <grin>
Let's go with this... Helps me justify the high price of the Evade brain bucket even more!
Old 09-07-23, 11:40 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
I will check those out! I think the Loop ear plugs are way overpriced, but they work, are very comfortable, and don't stick-out a mile from one's ears... so I guess they're worth it.
Yeah, I was a little concerned paying $35 a pair, but I have been very happy with my purchase. Sometimes I'll pop them in for loud family gatherings and they are wonderful for just turning everything down a notch so it's not as overwhelming.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-07-23, 04:04 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 685 Times in 330 Posts
It probably varies from helmet to helmet, and with head shape also.

I have had two aero road helmets (Bontrager Ballista and now the new Trek Ballista) and I find them quieter than my regular vented road helmet.
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 09-07-23, 05:28 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked 1,657 Times in 948 Posts
I too have a Specialized Evade. Mine is a 2, not a 3 though. I choose the Evade more often than not because it seems impervious to any wind noise whatsoever. I attributed that to smooth airflow around the helmet. But what do I know, ya' know?

Maybe my glasses are a factor? Maybe having the straps over the glasses arms instead of straps against my head like the cool people do could have an effect? All just guesses.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 09-08-23, 05:11 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I have 5 or 6 different aero helmets (some road and some TT) and the latest one does seem designed to flow the air thru the helmet and it is noisy as hell.
Old 09-08-23, 05:22 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 194 Posts
I have tinnitus which drowns out the wind noise quite successfully.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 09-09-23, 08:26 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked 1,405 Times in 714 Posts
TL;DR... Do any of you who wear an aero helmet notice an increase in wind noise over your non-aero helmet?

Earlier this year I purchased the Specialized S-Works Evade 3 helmet for reasons that had nothing to do with it being an aero helmet... Mainly it fits my "long oval" head better than any helmet I've ever owned in the past. One thing I noticed on my very first ride with the new helmet was how much wind noise I was hearing, even when there didn't seem to be any wind (other than me moving, of course). Since most of my rides are at least 2 to 4 hours long, the loud wind noise in my ears is annoying to me.

I've been wearing these geeky "Cat-Ears" (Amazon link) for years which have helped reduce wind noise on previous helmets, but they don't seem to do much with the Evade. After an entire summer of riding with the Evade, I still find the wind noise to be really high.

My theory is that because this helmet is an aero helmet with fewer vents, air doesn't go through the helmet, it goes around the helmet, and thus directly over my ears. I'm considering switching from wearing the Cat-Ears to using my Loop Quiet noise reducing ear plugs (Amazon link) as they do reduce ambient noise without blocking it out. I'm trying to strike a balance between getting rid of the annoying wind noise yet still be able to hear traffic.
….
hmmm, i have that exact helmet (but faster, because it’s red) and a couple others and have never noticed any difference at similar speeds. but wind noise also isn’t objectionable to me. i have excellent hearing, or at least my kids who are always whispering and trying to sneak around doing things a few rooms away seem to think i do!
Old 09-13-23, 07:47 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 97 Posts
in my experience no, but actually quieter because you have less turbulence, granted aero helmets tend to be less cool since they have less vents. I wear a Scott Cadence Plus (aero) and it's pretty breathable but also comes with covers for the vents if you want to be a tad more aero or you are riding on a cold day
Old 09-24-23, 03:17 PM
PoorInRichfield

I finally remembered to try the Loop ear plugs today instead of using the "Cat Ears" on my 70-mile ride today. As expected, the ear plugs certainly muted sounds, including wind noise, quite a bit. However, there were some drawbacks. As one might expect when wearing ear plugs, they might mute the sounds outside your head, but suddenly you are very aware of sounds inside your head and body, such as breathing. The harder my ride got, the more I heard my own breathing. Perhaps more troubling than that was that when I had a strong crosswind, I still heard a lot of wind noise to the point where I almost couldn't hear the beeps from my Garmin and traffic noises were much harder to detect. That's a problem. The other problem with ear plugs is that I know I often misplace them, especially since they aren't attached to my helmet.

On my next ride, I plan on transplanting some ear covers I have on my mountain bike helmet onto my road helmet (which I totally forgot I owned until today). I originally purchased the covers to keep my ears warm which will work just fine now that it's Fall. The version I have aren't wind proof like the Wind-Blox sold on Amazon, but are pretty close.

Old 09-25-23, 09:41 AM
PoorInRichfield

A company called Earpeace makes noise reducing ear plugs for motorcyclists who undoubtedly have more issues with noise than bicyclists do.

https://www.earpeace.com/pages/earpeace-moto

Old 05-01-24, 06:21 AM
PoorInRichfield

I took the first outdoor ride of this year yesterday and wind noise was intolerable as I rode into a strong headwind. I'm pretty sure it's the combination of my helmet and perhaps my ear shape? I've never dealt with such bad wind noise from previous helmets in over 3 decades of riding. If my Evade helmet didn't fit so well, I'd be looking for something else.

I tried an experiment to reduce the wind noise... I tied my headband so that it covered my ears, which made a considerable difference. At first I thought it did nothing until I saw my reflection in my Garmin computer and realized my "ear holes" weren't covered. Once I covered my ears completely, the harshness of the wind noise was noticeably reduced. The problem with this "solution" is that the band kept slipping-up and off the bottom of my ears. I'm on the hunt now for a wider headband / sweatband that will serve the dual-purpose of keeping sweat out of my eyes and hopefully cover my ears. A third benefit would be that covered ears would protect them from sun damage on long rides.
Old 05-01-24, 11:29 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3721 Post(s)
Liked 5,588 Times in 2,829 Posts
JMO, but I wouldn't ride for a year with a helmet that annoyed me, no matter how well it fit. Hard to figure your head shape is so unique there is only one helmet that fits. I'd do some shopping.
Old 05-01-24, 06:36 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4847 Post(s)
Liked 3,979 Times in 2,584 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I don’t think my helmets are necessarily “aero,” but I do notice the wind, and how it impacts my hearing from time to time. I keep telling myself that I need to set some of those Cat Ear things. Occasionally…and not sure why it’s only occasionally…I’ll experience a whistling created by the wind over some opening on the helmet surface.

Dan
It takes real skill to play a flute. You gotta get that wind stream just right. I'm guessing your helmet isn't al that different.
Old 05-01-24, 07:11 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4760 Post(s)
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,008 Posts
A company called Earpeace makes noise reducing ear plugs for motorcyclists who undoubtedly have more issues with noise than bicyclists do.

https://www.earpeace.com/pages/earpeace-moto

Aluminum... ? I'll wait for the more vertically compliant, laterally stiff, aero-shaped, and noise absorbtive carbon fiber edition.
Old 05-02-24, 12:59 AM
Ssj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I took the first outdoor ride of this year yesterday and wind noise was intolerable as I rode into a strong headwind. I'm pretty sure it's the combination of my helmet and perhaps my ear shape? I've never dealt with such bad wind noise from previous helmets in over 3 decades of riding. If my Evade helmet didn't fit so well, I'd be looking for something else.

I tried an experiment to reduce the wind noise... I tied my headband so that it covered my ears, which made a considerable difference. At first I thought it did nothing until I saw my reflection in my Garmin computer and realized my "ear holes" weren't covered. Once I covered my ears completely, the harshness of the wind noise was noticeably reduced. The problem with this "solution" is that the band kept slipping-up and off the bottom of my ears. I'm on the hunt now for a wider headband / sweatband that will serve the dual-purpose of keeping sweat out of my eyes and hopefully cover my ears. A third benefit would be that covered ears would protect them from sun damage on long rides.
This is exactly what I do. I ride with a headband from Gore that is made of a thin fabric like a bike jersey.
Likes For Ssj: