Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

MKS Pedal Plug Removal

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

MKS Pedal Plug Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-21, 12:56 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
KKT Pedal Plug Removal

Hi, I have some pedals here in need of repacking (KKT SMX) which have a plastic endplug one on end. It is keyed for a large screwdriver or quarter and turns slightly when twisted with one of those tools. It doesn't appear to be threaded and only turns 1/8th of a turn at best. Anyone else ever pull one of these plugs off without ruining it? I welcome input on those experienced with this or other similar plugs.

Old 06-27-21, 01:20 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
turn the plug until it's loose then try tapping on the threaded spindle until ...hopefully...the plug falls out
Old 06-27-21, 01:58 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
There's a good chance the pedal metal is inhibiting the plug from pulling out. Spray the plug with wd40 while twisting the plug. A pick tool might be needed to coach it out in the process.

/so glad to have went to clipless, just one of many reasons.
Old 06-27-21, 02:08 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
I suspect that the end cap is a press fit, not threaded. I would use a sharpened spoke as a prick to wedge the plug out around the circumference. Andy
Old 06-27-21, 08:07 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
In my experience with MKS AR-2 EZY pedals, the end plugs (image attached) are press-fit. They look like there should be a tool to remove them, but a sharp pick or small thin-bladed screwdriver is required. These can be removed a number of times without being destroyed, but they eventually need to be replaced. They are available, though sadly I used to get them from Harris Cyclery.

If there is an official tool for removing this end cap, it has thus far eluded me!
Old 06-27-21, 09:34 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Another option, which I did on my first pair of now discontinued Speedplay Frogs, is to drill a 1/16 or 3/32"
hole through the center of the plastic and use a "needle" injector to inject grease until it extrudes from the
spindle side. Then find a 3-4mm long #2 self tapping screw to plug the hole. More recent Frogs came
with such a screw in the end cap, but the ones sold in 2000 did not. Note needle injector is not literal
but the type with ~1/8" diameter tube with conical tip that screws onto a standard grease dispenser,
any auto store will have them.

Of course grease injection might also pop the plug out.

Last edited by sch; 06-27-21 at 09:43 PM.
Likes For sch:
Old 07-01-21, 09:19 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
I removed the end plug by forcing it off with a small flat bladed screwdriver and thankfully with minimal damage to either piece. It looks like the plug is designed to turn off as indicated by the ramped & tapered keying on the plug and corresponding mated design imprinted into the pedal body. I haven't tried turning the plug off on the other pedal but will experiment and see if it does indeed work that way. I'll update this thread after that happens.