Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Replacement for Kryptonite Chain Lock

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-22, 03:02 AM
Wendell F
My pants used to fit me

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, All-City Super Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I've got a Kryptonite chain but no lock. Should I just get the standard lock that comes with it or is there another lock folks suggest? This is for a bike that lives outside (so a covered or weatherproof keyhole would be nice) and will always be used in conjunction with a u lock.
Old 07-08-22, 04:23 AM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Seeing that you're in Queens, you will need the Kryptonite NY Fahgettaboudit or Legend locks for the Kryptonite insurance to be valid. My kid just upgraded to the NY Legend Chain and Lock after someone cut through her Mini-7 cable and almost made of with her FXS6. It's got a cover but I doubt it's weather sealed. It's also about 15 lbs, so she really hates the thing. None of these locks will keep a VERY determined thief away, but the point is to make it difficult.
Old 07-08-22, 07:43 AM
Wendell F
My pants used to fit me

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sardines
Seeing that you're in Queens, you will need the Kryptonite NY Fahgettaboudit or Legend locks for the Kryptonite insurance to be valid. My kid just upgraded to the NY Legend Chain and Lock after someone cut through her Mini-7 cable and almost made of with her FXS6. It's got a cover but I doubt it's weather sealed. It's also about 15 lbs, so she really hates the thing. None of these locks will keep a VERY determined thief away, but the point is to make it difficult.
Oh it’s been quite some time since I rode around with a chain and lock. Just sucks the fun out of a ride (though I guess so does not finding your joke where you left it).

This lock and chain is for my beater commuter Steamroller. It’s gonna stay locked to the post out front of my building where I park my bike. And I’m not looking for ultra security anyways since it’s gonna be used along with a U lock. If you’ve got the balls to get through a chain and a U lock then enjoy, bro, you earned it. Shame on my neighbors (and me since it’s right out my bedroom window).
Old 07-08-22, 10:24 AM
Wendell F
My pants used to fit me

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Let me rephrase the question:

If I’ve already got a Kryptonite chain is there any reason to buy a Kryptonite disc lock to go with it over a very heavy padlock of similar price?
Old 07-09-22, 02:28 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
If you want the warranty/guarantee for the bicycle value, you'll want to go with a lock+chain (or whichever) combination from Kryptonite or ABUS (or similar) that'll give you that warranty value, in the event a thief defeats the security and takes the bike. The lock makers will generally only warranty their coverage for their gear, though, so I don't imagine a Kryptonite chain + Abus lock (for example) would get you very far with a warranty claim.

If for a home, in-place security situation, I might suggest a stout chain along with a suitable lock.

Such as:

Lock -- ABUS Granit 37RK-70 padlock:
https://www.abus.com/eng/Commercial-...37RK-70-GRANIT

Chain -- ABUS Granit 37/80 14KS chain (can be ordered in custom lengths as well):
https://mobil.abus.com/int/on-road/L...-Loop?type=pdp

That combination, above, is seriously stout. It'll double the overall weight of a bike, if taken mobile, so it's really only suitable for an at-home storage situation. But it'll certainly be fairly tough to defeat. ABUS makes lighter-weight chains and locks, of course. Kryptonite has their own equivalents, for tough padlocks, chains.

Here's a vendor that might be able to answer what questions you still have, about a particular solution: Lockitt Mobile Security & Accessories. Good group. (They carry ABUS, a few of the Kryptonite solutions, and others.)