Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Why so overwhelmed if your car is paid for?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Why so overwhelmed if your car is paid for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-06, 09:02 AM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After reading most of the no need to have a car post,i can really see why drivers think cyclist are A-Holes. Dont forget,cars have as much of a right as bikes. If you can be car free, fine but dont rag on the ones that need,want cars. I think its cool if you can get away with it but i'm a big boy and nobody has brainwashed me. I LIKE CARS. I LOVE MY CAR. I HOPE I ALWAYS HAVE A CAR,A FAST ONE. I happen to be a cyclist.
Old 01-19-06, 11:06 AM
TuckertonRR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shokhead
I LIKE CARS. I LOVE MY CAR. I HOPE I ALWAYS HAVE A CAR,A FAST ONE. I happen to be a cyclist.

I like bikes....I've always liked bikes..... I hope I always have a bike.....a FAST bike...

my bike goes faster than your bike!! hahahaha!!!!!!!
Old 01-19-06, 11:16 AM
pakole

Bikes: 1980s 15 speed road bike, and 21 speed, Iron Horse Outlaw mountain bike and 24 speed Felt F90 road bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I think we have reach the conclusion of this conversation. Some people do not want the extra responiblity and financial cost that is associated with a car, while others like the ease of use and speed able with a car, so let's just leave it at that.
Old 01-19-06, 11:26 AM
af895

Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DataJunkie and FXjohn,

The point I'm making is: suburbs were originally much more livable places. You didn't even need a car to live in one. Every corner had a butcher, a baker (a candlestick maker?). In Europe, this is still common and in Canada, I'm happy to say we don't do too badly with this either.

I've lived in the US. This is NOT the way US suburbs are planned. You DO practically need a car to get around most US suburbs and certainly in rural areas.
It doesn't have to be that way and it hasn't always been that way.

Same question: have you seen the film "The End of Suburbia"? Disregarding the points it makes on "peak oil," it raises some very good points about suburban planning.

My next project, just for you guys, is to take a digital camera on a 15 minute walk around my suburb. Over the course of that walk, you'll see grocery stores, banks, video stores, vets, hair salons, clothing stores - anything you can imagine needing to "live." Many suburbs aren't planned so well.

I have no issue with cars or car ownership. The more important issue is why do we seem to depend on them and are there ways, as a species, we could break some of that dependence? Better urban planning would be a start. In the meantime, there are a lot of places where you really have no choice but to own one. A 10mile drive to the nearest shopping center isn't conducive to cycling.
Old 01-19-06, 11:29 AM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I LIKE CARS. I LOVE MY CAR. I HOPE I ALWAYS HAVE A CAR,A FAST ONE. I happen to be a cyclist.
great addition to the living car free forum!
Old 01-19-06, 11:31 AM
shokhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TuckertonRR
I like bikes....I've always liked bikes..... I hope I always have a bike.....a FAST bike...

my bike goes faster than your bike!! hahahaha!!!!!!!
I've never seen a fast bike,only a fast rider.
Old 01-19-06, 11:32 AM
shokhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timmhaan
great addition to the living car free forum!
Thanks!
Old 01-19-06, 11:53 AM
budster
beginner

Bikes: Trek 800, Gary Fisher Advance, Trek 2300 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pakole
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I think we have reach the conclusion of this conversation. Some people do not want the extra responiblity and financial cost that is associated with a car, while others like the ease of use and speed able with a car, so let's just leave it at that.
You are in the right ballpark.

But...

Some want to have a car, but without a great deal of expense. This is what the OP is driving at (no pun intended). Assuming it's already paid for, and doesn't cost much to maintain, why not have a car? Or maybe that could be better said: if it's not costing you much, why get rid of a car you already have?

Using myself as an example of this, I keep my old beater because I have tasks for which I feel my old beater is the best (simplest and least expensive) tool.

For some carfree folks, it's more than just "not want[ing] the extra responsibility and financial cost," it's a moral choice grounded in the belief that car culture does so much harm that owning a car is immoral. I share that belief to the extent that I believe unnecessary car use is immoral. What's "unnecessary?" That's between you and your conscience (if applicable).

Also, for some car owners, it's more than just "ease of use and speed," it's the ability to live, work and/or raise kids in places they couldn't do these things without a car. This is also a choice based on values, though many deny they have any real choice -- and some people do have more choice than others.

We shouldn't have to choose between a healthy, moral life and a fulfilling, rewarding one. Good city and regional planning can give more of us the best of both worlds: a wide range of opportunities (economic, social, cultural, et cet) and all vital services (education, health, et cet), entirely accessible by public transport, foot or bike.

YMMV.
Old 01-19-06, 12:01 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by pakole
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Not exactly; a more accurate statement might be that some posters don't need/want a car because their chosen lifestyle assumes/seeks no responsibility for others' transportation needs.
Old 01-19-06, 12:02 PM
af895

Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by budster
...Also, for some car owners, it's more than just "ease of use and speed," it's the ability to live, work and/or raise kids in places they couldn't do these things without a car. This is also a choice based on values, though many deny they have any real choice -- and some people do have more choice than others.

We shouldn't have to choose between a healthy, moral life and a fulfilling, rewarding one. Good city and regional planning can give more of us the best of both worlds: a wide range of opportunities (economic, social, cultural, et cet) and all vital services (education, health, et cet), entirely accessible by public transport, foot or bike. ...
(emphasis added)

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 01-19-06, 12:07 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by af895
The point I'm making is: suburbs were originally much more livable places. You didn't even need a car to live in one. Every corner had a butcher, a baker (a candlestick maker?)...I've lived in the US. This is NOT the way US suburbs are planned. You DO practically need a car to get around most US suburbs and certainly in rural areas. It doesn't have to be that way and it hasn't always been that way.
I can't speak for Canadian places.

But where in the U.S. suburbs or rural areas has it NOT been this way since the 30's. Where are those U.S. suburbs that had a butcher, a baker or candlestick maker on every corner AND had nearby significant employment opportunities for someone besides the butcher, a baker or candlestick maker?
Old 01-19-06, 12:16 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike

But where in the U.S. suburbs or rural areas has it NOT been this way since the 30's. Where are those U.S. suburbs that had a butcher, a baker or candlestick maker on every corner AND had nearby significant employment opportunities for someone besides the butcher, a baker or candlestick maker?
well, i think the older suburbs based off of large cities like new york, philly, boston, chicago, etc. were like that. now, those suburbs have merged with the city and became neighborhoods instead. but they were considered suburbs at one time...
Old 01-19-06, 12:34 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by timmhaan
well, i think the older suburbs based off of large cities like new york, philly, boston, chicago, etc. were like that. now, those suburbs have merged with the city and became neighborhoods instead. but they were considered suburbs at one time...
Possibly; but the employment opportunities were in the city; which may have been accessible by an efficient trolley/rail system. Even if those trolleys and rail magically reappeared today to the suburbs, few if any suburban residents would choose give up personal transportation to share public transportation "opportunities" with the current residents of inner cities who have no economic choices.
Old 01-19-06, 12:44 PM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
You're pedaling as hard as you can to justify and rationalize your car ownership.
I don't own a car, I'm car-free. I just don't condemn people who have not made the same choices based on various factors in their individual lives. Sound rational? Those cars are not "huge," nor is the house. It seems like FX has a pretty good setup to me.
Old 01-19-06, 01:37 PM
pakole

Bikes: 1980s 15 speed road bike, and 21 speed, Iron Horse Outlaw mountain bike and 24 speed Felt F90 road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I know I did not cover every single point on each side, but I wanted this interesting conversation to end on a positive note before name-calling or religous postulation really started.
Old 01-19-06, 04:35 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by FXjohn
Well, pre WWI half the people in this country were farmers.
Surely you don't deny RURAL folks an automobile???
Nobody's denying anybody anything..this is just forum for discussion of different attitudes and choices.
Old 01-19-06, 04:37 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Is this the preferred Car-Free/Simple Life dream being marketed on this list by several posters? Don't worry, be happy; pack up all your possessions in a Brown Paper Bag?
No.
Old 01-19-06, 04:41 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

After reading most of the no need to have a car post,i can really see why drivers think cyclist are A-Holes. Dont forget,cars have as much of a right as bikes.
Don't forget, this is the "living car free" forum. What did you expect?

nobody has brainwashed me. I LIKE CARS. I LOVE MY CAR. I HOPE I ALWAYS HAVE A CAR,A FAST ONE.
ROFL!
Old 01-19-06, 04:42 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Expatriate
It's far easier to be car free in NYC than it is to be in Forsyth, Missouri.
Exactly right. So what's wrong with Forsyth, MO? What can folks do there to make the area more livable and especially more bikeable?

You and so many others are experts at pointing out the obvious. "It's easier in NYC." "It's harder if you have kids." "I don't have time to ride." "I don't know how to change brake pads." "I can't get the dogfood home from the Walmart." "The traffic around here is murder." And so on ad infinitum. Many of these are legitimate reasons to keep a car, some are just excuses for a lack of trying.

Let's take the next step, if we agree that car and oil dependence are damaging to our society. What can we, as individuals and as a society, do to make it easier for country folks, suburbanites, families, etc.? What changes need to be made in land use plans, zoning laws and traffic patterns? Most important, which hindrances are actual fatal flaws in the infrastructure and which merely reflect a lack of imagination?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-19-06, 04:49 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by budster
You are in the right ballpark.

But...

Some want to have a car, but without a great deal of expense. This is what the OP is driving at (no pun intended). Assuming it's already paid for, and doesn't cost much to maintain, why not have a car? Or maybe that could be better said: if it's not costing you much, why get rid of a car you already have?

Using myself as an example of this, I keep my old beater because I have tasks for which I feel my old beater is the best (simplest and least expensive) tool.

For some carfree folks, it's more than just "not want[ing] the extra responsibility and financial cost," it's a moral choice grounded in the belief that car culture does so much harm that owning a car is immoral. I share that belief to the extent that I believe unnecessary car use is immoral. What's "unnecessary?" That's between you and your conscience (if applicable).

Also, for some car owners, it's more than just "ease of use and speed," it's the ability to live, work and/or raise kids in places they couldn't do these things without a car. This is also a choice based on values, though many deny they have any real choice -- and some people do have more choice than others.

We shouldn't have to choose between a healthy, moral life and a fulfilling, rewarding one. Good city and regional planning can give more of us the best of both worlds: a wide range of opportunities (economic, social, cultural, et cet) and all vital services (education, health, et cet), entirely accessible by public transport, foot or bike.

YMMV
Very well put, especially the last paragraph. Even car owners must, if they are rational beings, realize that our society has been engineered for the automobile. That's not a criticism, just an observation. That which has been engineered can be re-engineered, and eventually will be. Also just an observation.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-19-06, 04:52 PM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can't speak for Canadian places.

Our little suburb over here looks like Main Street America, circa 1950. Yeah, we have 5 pubs within walking distance, but 2 streets over we have 2 banks, a post office/newsagent, the family doctor, a mini-grocery, a shoe store, 3 fish & chip shops, a decent cafe, the veterinarian, 2 realtors, a jeweller, a bakery, a TAB, a chemist, and a few other specialty shops. My wife, who doesn't drive, finds this very convenient, as would anyone.

The only employment I found at a decent wage is off a main highway, with no public transport. I rode a few days last year, but it's not really safe to ride on the side of 80 or 90Km/h roads in a major transport corridor. My wife works at the hospital, and starts at 6. The first bus is at 7:07AM. Her knees could not take the long, steep climb to the hospital. I'm not making excuses, as I have no need to. We try to ride our bikes when we can. Do we ride to the local fruit barn, and buy poor quality produce, or do we drive out of town to the one that has nice produce? And with 3 kids in the house, doing a full week's shopping by bike is not really feasible. We do what we can to minimize our impact. That's all we can ask of anyone else.
Old 01-19-06, 05:04 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by krispistoferson
I don't own a car, I'm car-free. I just don't condemn people who have not made the same choices based on various factors in their individual lives. Sound rational? Those cars are not "huge," nor is the house. It seems like FX has a pretty good setup to me.
Nor do I condemn him or anybody else who must have a car due to shortfalls in the design of their environments, which might even include a majority of North Americans.

I do quarrel with (not condemn) those who accept current land use patterns as a given, while never questioning the design assumptions that have made our infrastructure so hostile to those who would prefer not to have a car. If you can't live without a car, at least try to understand the reasons, and realize that generations of government planners have stolen your options in order to benefit certain industries.

I also will kindly (I hope) dispute with those who mistakenly believe that they cannot live without a car, when they have not tried creatively to surmount the various obstacles they imagine stand in the way of carfree living.

I would much less kindly dispute those (not you or the OP) who dare to imply that those of us who don't drive cars are irresponsible hippies who can't handle modern life in the big city. Except I think it's better to ignore trolls.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 01-19-06 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-19-06, 05:17 PM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Roody, I hope you find something of interest in this tidbit. At the bike shop where I work for a few hours a week, a very nice couple came in to buy helmets the other day. Neither had an Aussie accent, nor did they have the same accent. Turns out that they're from England and Scotland by way of Northern California. Naturally, I asked what brought them to Newcastle. Their response? They were tired of living on top of their neighbours, and wanted to live someplace with a bit more space.
Old 01-19-06, 05:30 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Expatriate
Roody, I hope you find something of interest in this tidbit. At the bike shop where I work for a few hours a week, a very nice couple came in to buy helmets the other day. Neither had an Aussie accent, nor did they have the same accent. Turns out that they're from England and Scotland by way of Northern California. Naturally, I asked what brought them to Newcastle. Their response? They were tired of living on top of their neighbours, and wanted to live someplace with a bit more space.
Well England and Scotland were deforested by the 15th century. Then they came over here and deforested my Michigan in less than 50 years, by 1900. Don't turn your back on them out there or they'll take you trees too.

Seriously, the need for space is certainly one of the "needs" driving this insane society. I still can't figure out why my taxes have to go to pay for the sewer hookup of somebody who chooses to live on God's quarter-acre, 25 miles from town. I also helped pay for the freeway interchange that makes possible the 50 minute commute from his McMansion that he likes to cuss about every afternoon. And then he gets home, garages his SUV, and brags about how hard *HE* worked to enjoy life in the "country."

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-19-06, 05:34 PM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Well England and Scotland were deforested by the 15th century. Then they came over here and deforested my Michigan in less than 50 years, by 1900. Don't turn your back on them out there or they'll take you trees too.
Haven't been to the UP lately?...THERE'S GOD'S COUNTRY...you can HAVE Florida

Just kidding...let's ride up north some time, roody

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.