Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Heart Rate Reserve

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Heart Rate Reserve

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-23, 06:36 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by spclark
Something I'm interested in too but lack sufficient info to qualify.

Mine's 21ms avg. over the last six months. What's a prudent range for someone my age and condition?
I do not know your age or condition and since your heart is different than mine and I am not a Cardiologist, I have no idea.

I'm 65 and mine is usually around 60 but can dip into the low 40's if I am overdoing it or lower with Covid. I use an AP that gives me a readiness score and suprisingly, it was flashing Red a day before Covid positive and despite feeling great and power great, it picked it up a day in advance. So, I use it.

HRV is a pretty big subject. Read Couzen's 5 posts on the topic and it might help.

https://www.alancouzens.com/blog/overtraining_HRV.html

https://help.elitehrv.com/article/78...-always-better
Old 09-01-23, 07:21 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62

I am curious how others judge their readiness to increase exercise load.
I use the Garmin "stress" measure, which is a parameter derived from HR and HRV according to a super secret formula, and "Body Battery," which is cumulative measure of the "stress" parameter. If the high "stress" from a hard ride clears with a few hours of rest, say by dinner time, and my overnight numbers are good, I'm good to advance. If not, that's a sign I need to cut back for a day or two. If, after the acute stress wears off, I have an overshoot in the HRV and my RHR dips into the low 40s, that's another sign that I'm overcooked.

I also check a spot HRV each morning. The app I use also asks questions about subjective status, which is a good exercise. The resulting readiness measure generally tracks with the continuous measure and gives me a real HRV numbers which my level of Garmin watch doesn't do.

I also use how I'm actually feeling and performing as a reality check on all the gizmos and try to avoid the placebo/nocebo effects that come with them.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-01-23, 11:59 AM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Thanks Ghostrider...

for those links. I'll be reading what's there once I've punched out for w/e ahead.
Old 09-03-23, 07:53 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Less of an increase.

Much cited paper here.
Thanks. So, these subjects were about 50 at the time of enrollment into the study. I have bradycardia and a HR < 100 bpm at 100 watts, but I'm way older than 50, normotensive, and no sign of AFib (yet).
Old 09-03-23, 08:33 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I'd forgotten that you are a neurologist. Interesting. I've been seeing 3 cardiologists, 2 plumbers and 1 electrician, the only one in the practice. I recently had a pacemaker installed to force my ventricles to beat synchronously with my atria. I also have PVCs, coming in clumps at higher HRs, worrisome. Also very low HRV, especially the parasympathetic side and none of my cardiologists have ever heard of HRV except from me and couldn't care less. I seem to be a zebra as far as these folks are concerned. I tried local sports cardiologists, but they're at the University, busy with young athletes, research, and teaching. So I have a couple stenters and one ablator/pacemaker installer.
are they concerned enough about the PVCs to put you on an antiarrhythmic or ablate them? individual PVCs don’t seem much of an indicator but for me any couplets or triplets are pretty strongly suggestive of VT risk. if i didn’t take flecainide, i’d have thousands of PVCs a day - pre ablation and pre meds it was in the 20k range iirc. 1/4 or 1/5 of all waking beats. a lot of docs like to say they’re harmless but others (and me lol!) are convinced they result in some kind of strain, to say nothing of poor perfusion?

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Yeah, I don’t really understand the damage to the conduction system either. It’s definitely associated with enlargement and remodeling of the left atrium, but the SA node is in the right atrium. The association with low heart rate, blunted HR response and also high HRV is a little easier for me to grasp. All of these things are related to parasympathetic tone, which decreases the refractory period (the time during which excitation can’t occur) of the atrium, making abnormal rhythm generation more likely. At least that’s my neurologist’s understanding.
although the SA node is in the RA, my understanding is that the signal conducts throughout multiple cardiac nodes, some of which are nerve bundles and some of which are muscle fiber. since athletes are remodeling the muscle of the heart, it doesn’t seem too surprising that the electrical system is potentially affected.

how much is too much is the trillion dollar question - and it probably varies per person based on difficult to predict factors. 😕
Old 09-03-23, 09:14 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
are they concerned enough about the PVCs to put you on an antiarrhythmic or ablate them? individual PVCs don’t seem much of an indicator but for me any couplets or triplets are pretty strongly suggestive of VT risk. if i didn’t take flecainide, i’d have thousands of PVCs a day - pre ablation and pre meds it was in the 20k range iirc. 1/4 or 1/5 of all waking beats. a lot of docs like to say they’re harmless but others (and me lol!) are convinced they result in some kind of strain, to say nothing of poor perfusion?
(snip)
I've been taking a calcium channel blocker, verapamil, but it doesn't seem to do much. At rest, I only have a PVC about every 20", but going over 100 HR they start to come in bunches, sometimes combined with dropouts and I back it off. I think the next step is ablation. When I ride my rollers, besides my Garmin, I tape a phone to my aerobars and have Elite HRV up so I can watch what's happening. That's very helpful for not screwing up.

When I did a treadmill test, I had a period of Vtach afterward while I was still hooked up. That had them worried, though I didn't feel anything. But it was obvious that it would be dangerous for me to work hard on the bike outdoors.
Old 09-03-23, 09:21 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I've been taking a calcium channel blocker, verapamil, but it doesn't seem to do much. At rest, I only have a PVC about every 20", but going over 100 HR they start to come in bunches, sometimes combined with dropouts and I back it off. I think the next step is ablation. When I ride my rollers, besides my Garmin, I tape a phone to my aerobars and have Elite HRV up so I can watch what's happening. That's very helpful for not screwing up.

When I did a treadmill test, I had a period of Vtach afterward while I was still hooked up. That had them worried, though I didn't feel anything. But it was obvious that it would be dangerous for me to work hard on the bike outdoors.
ask them about other antiarrhythmics. VT when HR is decelerating seems to be a thing too, my worst episode pre-meds, ablation, and ICD was actually after a long run. makes me nervous when riding if there’s a sudden stop at a light.
Old 09-05-23, 11:43 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Interesting thread this.

FWIW my max HR is 193 and my resting HR is around 60 when fresh, but creeps up to mid 60s with training fatigue. My HRV seems to vary from around 20 to low 40s when well rested.

So that puts my HRR at around 133. My VO2 max is estimated at around 50.

I think I have a high revving, low volume motor. No known heart conditions, but never seen a cardiologist.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-07-23, 07:21 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Max HR is 165-167+/-m, resting (meaning while sitting/relaxing) is 50+/-.

VO2 max estimate is 48.

I have a low revving, high(er) volume motor.
Likes For Jughed: