Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

A Warning about Intense Exercise for Older Adults

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-23, 06:56 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 792 Posts

60 is just around the corner for me, so this 10-minute video caught my attention...

Likes For work4bike:
Old 09-09-23, 01:11 PM
jalwlb

Bikes: Raleigh Gran Sports, 1979 Puch, first gen Dura Ace, 1980 Gios Torino, 1983 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1991 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp rescued from curbside trash pickup

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
This! It sounds trite, but back in the seventies my father was fond of saying, "move it or lose it!" And today at nearly 60 I still work physical labor for a living, ride the bike regularly, speed skate, haul firewood into the house all winter... I feel great, I sleep like a baby, I don't crave sugar, I'm comfortable with a high intensity exercise pulse of 164... YMMV, but the benefits of regular exercise for the rest of our lives--exercise we are comfortable with--is life changing.
Old 09-09-23, 01:48 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Good video but the thread title, the way I read it, is misleading. Friel is promoting HIIT for older athletes. The warning is to those who do not exercise.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 09-09-23, 02:46 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Spending 80% - 90% of your exercise time in Zone 2 in probably the healthiest way to train and exercise. The other 10% 20% can be dedicated to higher intensity efforts...Personally I don't do any HIIT intervals on a bicycle and all my rides are done in Zone 2....I get my higher intensity exercise from kettlebell and weight training workouts...Consistency is the most important thing when it comes to exercise, you need to keep moving and doing something and being physically active every day.
Old 09-10-23, 05:42 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Good video but the thread title, the way I read it, is misleading. Friel is promoting HIIT for older athletes. The warning is to those who do not exercise.
Sorry about that...I was trying my hand at Click Bait
Old 09-12-23, 06:54 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Back in 1998 Friel wrote Fast after 50. I still have my original copy. Thanks for the video.
Old 09-12-23, 12:27 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
I'm 74+, had two stents placed late March in 2006. Did P/T, enjoyed rowing machine, so bought a Waterrower. Wife still uses it, I found it kinda boring so I started back to riding my Motobecane. Work schedule and time spent commuting for 20 years had cut into my time for riding so I'd gotten out of the habit.

Once I got back into it my longest ride up through 2010 was ~ 25 miles, all paved bike path. Few grades back there though.

Quit riding when we moved, it'd been ~ nine years this spring when I decided I wanted to ride again, at least for commuting 3/4 mile to my part-time job in a hardware store. I can log about seven miles in a 9-hour shift but it's on a concrete floor so takes a toll. Wasn't certain the MB would be rideable or appropriate for this so in April I bought a last-year's model Kona Dew+.

Turned out I like riding as much as I used to, inspired enough to renovate the MB w/ new tires, brake shoes, cables, even changed DR to a bigger cogged Suntour for the steepest hills around where I can ride now. So far this year I've managed longest ride of ~ 14 miles but there's still time and weather yet to improve on that. Winter comes I may get back to swimming laps at a here-in-town pool run by the Y some 30 miles distant.

"Move/Use it or Lose it" or my favorite "Just Keep Moving!" are aphorisms to take to heart, literally.