Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Another busted spoke!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Another busted spoke!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-11, 06:51 PM
WestCoastDan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another busted spoke!

Well, this just stinks. I've got about 1,000 miles on the new bike (CAAD9-6) now and I've broken 2 rear spokes.
LBS is addressing the issue w/ Shimano but in the meantime, they are probably going to just replace the single spoke again.
I am glad it happened today, as I am heading to Solvang @ the end of the week.

I weigh in @ about 210 now and I thought I had decereased the load on these enough to avoid further issues (last one was @ ~225) but perhaps I am wrong.

I asked them if I should be concerned about the strength of these R500 wheels w/ the aero spokes for a guy my size & their reply was "not typically".

Their 'best' recommendation was to upgrade to a set of higher spoke-count wheels and hubs, but it kinda bothers me to think I "need" to spend another $600-800 (or more!) on wheels that should have already been sufficient @ time of purchase.

(end of rant)
+++
Old 03-06-11, 07:16 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I can totally understand the frustration. It's a concern for me, too. I'm working up the budget for a new bike, but at 240 lbs., I really don't have too much confidence in stock wheel sets that would come on a bike in my limited budget. Even though you don't want to spend more, I think you can do it for less. One of many options for you include the Soul 2.0 MAX. Weight limit is 265 lbs. and they're $530 shipped to the states.

Soul 2.0Max

And, from what I hear, they ride REALLY nice and would trim some weight off your bike.

I'm sure Williams and PSIMET would have options for you, too.

Good luck with it.
Old 03-06-11, 07:16 PM
tortugaflats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my brother had same problem a year ago with a trek 1.5. after around returning 4 times and replacing spokes they finally agreed to build him a wheel for an additional $100. not to say all bike shops are the same with trying to keep customer happy but i do not think you should have to spend that much for wheels this soon
Old 03-06-11, 07:23 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If you do need stronger wheels, these are a good start:

https://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com.../prod_161.html

Those will last a LONG time for just about anyone. Yes, you can probably do a bit better on the price/performance/weight tradeoff, but those are the kind of wheels you probably should be looking at if you want durability.
Old 03-06-11, 07:30 PM
valleycyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The RR585 is definitely a strong rim, and I agree that a 32 spoke wheel with those rims will be plenty strong. At 225lbs you can also go with RR465 rims, Velocity Synergy, Velocity Deep-V, and many other options.
Old 03-06-11, 07:35 PM
clink83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those rims are horrid if your heavy. Mine constantly hit the brakes because they were so flexy, and started breaking spokes. It's the rims, not you!
At your weight, just get 32h Ultegra/Open pros or Ultegra/CXP33s and be done with it. I got mine from BWW for about ~350 dollars, and they have been issue free. I'm 200lbs, and spent all summer crashing into frost cracks and potholes on Idaho roads.

I would avoid something really heavy like Deep Vs or such though, esp if you plan on loosing weight. There is no sense in ruining a nice CAAD with heavy rims when there are lighter choices.

Last edited by clink83; 03-06-11 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-06-11, 07:48 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
If you don't mind mismatch wheels, you don't have to change the
front if it's ok. I had the same problem with the Alex wheel that
came with my Fuji, dealer got me a discount on a Velocity Deep V
rim that they assembled with the factory Alex hub using 32 straight
gauge DT spokes. It lasted a bit longer but after awhile, it was
back to busting spokes and the wheel going out of true all the time.

Decided to send the hub to https://peterwhitecycles.com/wheels.asp
He laced it to a new Deep V rim using 32 butted Wheelsmith spokes.
Problem solved, wheel is always true now. It came with a lifetime
guarantee from popping spokes as well as staying true.

Disclaimer: No affiliation whatsoever! Just another satisfied customer.

Road Racing, 130mm rear (price per set)
Shimano Dura Ace 10 spd hubs, Wheelsmith 14-16 butted spokes,
Mavic Open Pro silver rims, 32 hole front, 36 rear:
$ 691.30
Shimano Dura Ace 9 spd hubs, Wheelsmith 14-16 butted spokes,
Mavic Open Pro silver rims, 32 hole:
$ 592.10
Velocity Deep V Grey rims, 32 hole:
Call
Shimano Ultegra 9 spd hubs, Wheelsmith 14-16 butted spokes,
$ 432.10
Shimano Tiagra 9 spd hubs, Wheelsmith 14-16 butted spokes,
$ 342.10
Velocity Deep-V Grey rims, 32 hole:
$ 570.20
Velocity Aerohead rims, Silver, Grey or Black, rear with off center spoke holes for near zero dish, 32 hole:
$ 574.70
White Industries H1 hubs for either Campagnolo or Shimano cassette, Velocity Aerohead 28 hole front, Velocity Aerohead O/C 32 hole rear, XL-14 spokes front and left rear, DB-14 spokes right rear, aluminum nipples.
$608.12
Campagnolo Centaur-Daytona hubs, Wheelsmith 14-16 butted spokes, Velocity Aerohead front and Aerohead OC rear rims, Silver, Grey or Black 36 hole F&R:
$511.64
Campagnolo Chorus hubs, Wheelsmith 14-16 butted spokes, Velocity Aerohead front and Aerohead OC rear rims, Silver, Grey or Black 32 hole F&R:
$544.68
Campagnolo Record hubs, Wheelsmith 14-16 butted spokes, Velocity Aerohead front and Aerohead OC rear rims, Silver, Grey or Black 32 hole F&R:
$584.68
Campagnolo Centaur-Daytona hubs, a mix of Wheelsmith 14-16 and 14-17 butted spokes, Mavic Open Pro silver rims, 32 hole:
While I can build you this wheelset, I'm not too happy with the resulting rear wheel. The Open Pro is pretty light, and tends to crack when built up on hubs with high dish, like the Campagnolo hubs. A better choice would be the slightly heavier Campagnolo Montreal rim, or the Velocity Aerohead with off center drilling on the rear rim.

$ 552.10
Old 03-06-11, 07:49 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
further evidence that lower spoke count machine built wheels that come stock with bikes are close to useless for a whole bunch of clyclists who weight over 150# and ride their bikes on real roads. at your weight, the sooner you dump those POS's and get yourself some sensible handbuilt wheels, the sooner you'll have a trouble free ride.
Old 03-06-11, 07:53 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by WestCoastDan
Well, this just stinks. I've got about 1,000 miles on the new bike (CAAD9-6) now and I've broken 2 rear spokes.
LBS is addressing the issue w/ Shimano but in the meantime, they are probably going to just replace the single spoke again.
I am glad it happened today, as I am heading to Solvang @ the end of the week.
Get a competent wheel builder to de-tension the wheel, replace _ALL_ of the spokes in the failing group(s) (ex: drive side trailing spokes), correct spoke lines at hub and rim ends, stress relieve, and bring the wheel up to uniform and sufficient tension.

Full wheel builds run $50-$75 in labor; repairs should be less.

It'll be easier to fold up than a 32 spoke wheel and you'll be less likely to make it home with or without adjustments following a bent rim or broken spoke but it should work and stay true.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 03-06-11 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-06-11, 07:59 PM
achoo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by valleycyclist
The RR585 is definitely a strong rim, and I agree that a 32 spoke wheel with those rims will be plenty strong. At 225lbs you can also go with RR465 rims, Velocity Synergy, Velocity Deep-V, and many other options.
Yeah, it's probably a bit overkill. Especially at 32-holes on the front wheel - I think that's almost a motorcycle wheel there...

OP: Welcome to the world of 200+ lb cycling, where mass-market wheels fall apart. Psimet - Bike Forum's resident wheel builder - posted a semi-rant about that a day or two ago, and he's likely to be along in this thread shortly.

The fact that you're seeing multiple broken spokes means your wheels aren't strong enough for you. Maybe it's because the build quality wasn't good enough, maybe it's because the design itself wasn't strong enough. At this point it probably doesn't matter since you've probably fatigued the remaining spokes to the point they're about to break anyway, so retensioning your current wheel will at best delay the inevitable - a rebuild with new spokes and nipples or a new set of wheels.

The Bicycle Wheel Warehouse link I posted would be a set of wheels that would last for years, and it's priced pretty good. It could be improved upon IMO. One of the things I wish BWW would do is provide options for wheelsets with a greater disparity between front and rear wheels, as rear wheels on road bikes normally take a lot more punishment than front ones. If a 32-hole rear wheel with an RR585 rim is sufficient, a 32-hole RR585 front it total overkill. For example, I normally ride on a 32-hole RR585 rear and a 28-hole RR415 front - a MUCH lighter rim. But you can't get a set like that from BWW - you need to get it from a pure custom builder.
Old 03-06-11, 08:00 PM
clink83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
If
Decided to send the hub to https://peterwhitecycles.com/wheels.asp
He laced it to a new Deep V rim using 32 butted Wheelsmith spokes.
Problem solved, wheel is always true now. It came with a lifetime
guarantee from popping spokes as well as staying true.

Disclaimer: No affiliation whatsoever! Just another satisfied customer.
I have Deep Vs on my commuter, CXP33s on the road bike. The deep vs crap compared to the CXP33s. They are much heavier, have an unwelded joint that clunks while braking, and are not as stiff as the cxp33s. There is no reason to buy those rims if you're only 210lbs, they are junk. Velocity makes a bunch of other rims that would be much better choices, such as the Aerohead OC.

Last edited by clink83; 03-06-11 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-06-11, 08:12 PM
achoo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by clink83
I have Deep Vs on my commuter, CXP33s on the road bike. The deep vs crap compared to the CXP33s. They are much heavier, have an unwelded joint that clunks while braking, and are not as stiff as the cxp33s. There is no reason to buy those rims if you're only 210lbs, they are junk. Velocity makes a bunch of other rims that would be much better choices, such as the Aerohead OC.
I have CXP33s on my commuter. And DTs on my road bike - currently RR415 front and RR585 rear (PowerTap). I also have a non-PT RR465 rear wheel.

And IMO the DT Swiss rims are clearly superior to the Mavics. For example, the braking surface is perfectly smooth on the DTs but on the Mavics I can feel the rim joint go under the brake pads when braking. They're both really good rims, but the DTs are just a bit better all around.

Yeah, I know the RR585 is a whole lot heavier than the CXP33.
Old 03-06-11, 08:19 PM
WestCoastDan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I certainly do appreciate the insight guys, now I just need to find $400 or so in the couch cushions!
+++
Old 03-06-11, 08:23 PM
achoo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Here's the link to Psimet's semi-rant about the state of mass-market wheels for heavier riders:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post12311810

That's probably the best description I've ever seen regarding how mass-market wheels are sold and the effect that has on bigger cyclists.
Old 03-06-11, 09:10 PM
lazerzxr

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WestCoastDan
I weigh in @ about 210 now and I thought I had decereased the load on these enough to avoid further issues (last one was @ ~225) but perhaps I am wrong.

+++
I weigh in at just under 170# and broke a spoke on my R500s in about 300 miles. Had them fixed and properly tensioned and they have been fine for a few thousand miles now. If they break another they will go in the bin. I would say get some hand builts with 32+ spokes and you should be able to enjoy a trouble free ride