Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rigid 29er for Winter Commuting

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-21, 01:06 AM
Novice123

Bikes: 2007(?) Niner Hot Tamale, 2014 Jamis Coda Elite, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm trying to find a rigid 29er that would be good for winter commuting in Minneapolis. It would be great to find something with fender mounts, but it seems that unless I'm up for a 90's era used bike or something from QBP that's out of my price range for something that's going to eat a decent amount of salt I may be **** out of luck, in that regard. A one-by would be great to find, but again, may be wishful thinking. I'm considering picking up a 2022 Marin Muirwoods for non-winter riding, which satisfies all the above criteria, but $1000 is a lot to put down for a bike that will take somewhat of a beating. I've looked at some cyclo and gravel bikes, but those frames won't take anything over 40mm with fenders and I'd like something capable of handling wider tires. Maybe I'll just end up buying the Marin (when COVID supply disruption allows it) and trying to do what I can to prevent corrosion, but I'm not up for spending a chunk of time cleaning the drivetrain every time I ride it. Once a week I can handle, however. Is it that hard to find a simple rigid 29er, preferably single up front, for under $600? Apparently so . . . Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Pete

Last edited by Novice123; 08-27-21 at 01:12 AM.
Likes For Novice123:
Old 08-27-21, 09:00 PM
Novice123

Bikes: 2007(?) Niner Hot Tamale, 2014 Jamis Coda Elite, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think I may just buy a front suspension Motobecane Fantom 29 Advent from Bikesdirect, lock out the fork, put my Nokian W240 tire on in front, some SKS Veloflexx 65 fenders, and call it good.
Old 08-28-21, 04:09 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
You're overthinking this too much...There are manufacturers such as Surly, Salsa, Soma , All City and few others who make rigid forked 29'er frames.
Old 08-28-21, 05:43 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I was really attracted to a Marin Muirwood for a while after seeing it with big tires in a store. I think it was $600

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/frame/flat-bar

if you don't want a suspension fork then don't get one. it's just added weight you don't need

as far as cleaning, I think you'll find a way to do it easily. for example get a garden sprayer & rinse it after you get home. wipe it down & don't leave it outside to freeze overnight

how far is your commute?
what are you using now?
what size do you need?

I see several used hybrids on craigslist

wide tires are over rated for winter commuting. I did it one year w/ 35mm studded tires & they were just fine. I started w/ a straight bar hybrid but then put drop bars on it cuz it wasn't a short commute

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/r...366567370.html

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/w...366131171.html

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/d...les/search/bia

Last edited by rumrunn6; 08-28-21 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-30-21, 10:51 AM
Novice123

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You're overthinking this too much...There are manufacturers such as Surly, Salsa, Soma , All City and few others who make rigid forked 29'er frames.

Yeah, living in Mpls. I'm quite familiar with QBP, even applied for a job at their headquarters a couple years ago. I considered an Ogre, but one would cost me about twice what the cheapo Motobecane I'm looking at would. I have a nice Niner Hot Tamale with SRAM X0/X9 drivetrain and Avid Elixir CR hydraulic brakes that my bud who used to work at Colorado Cyclist built me for $400 (yeah). I currently commute on that when the salt won't gobble its drivetrain, steel frame, etc. Thanks for the response, though!

Last edited by Novice123; 08-30-21 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-30-21, 11:04 AM
Novice123

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was really attracted to a Marin Muirwood for a while after seeing it with big tires in a store. I think it was $600

if you don't want a suspension fork then don't get one. it's just added weight you don't need

as far as cleaning, I think you'll find a way to do it easily. for example get a garden sprayer & rinse it after you get home. wipe it down & don't leave it outside to freeze overnight

how far is your commute?
what are you using now?
what size do you need?

I see several used hybrids on craigslist

wide tires are over rated for winter commuting. I did it one year w/ 35mm studded tires & they were just fine. I started w/ a straight bar hybrid but then put drop bars on it cuz it wasn't a short commute

The new 2022 Marin Muirwoods is $999. I winter commuted on a Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno with a Nokian W240 front tire for 5 years. I agree that wider tires are largely unnecessary, if not a burden for commuting. The appeal of a 29er is that I can run 40mm tires with full fenders, no problem, now that I found some SKS strap-on fenders that will allow that with a suspended fork without fender mounts. Thanks, though!
Likes For Novice123:
Old 08-30-21, 11:47 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
post up pics after you get it set up. there's probably more than 1 winter junkie around here that would love to see it ... ;-)

by the way, my winter commuter was a cheapo suspension fork hybrid w/ the fork locked out ... ;-)