Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Colin Laing bicycles

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Colin Laing bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-18, 09:11 PM
friendofpugs

Bikes: Trek Farley, Giant Trance X, Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
As of a couple years ago Andy Gilmour, Tucson frame builder had some of Colin's decal, NOS. I love my Laing.
Thank you very much for the info. I have an email in to Ian Laing to see if he knows anything about the frame, and to see if he made it with his father or made it himself or what.
Old 11-24-18, 10:16 PM
ccanepa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Laing c-cross bike

I still have my Colin Laing cyclocross bike in my bsmt from back in the day, I special ordered it in 1975, I’ll have to look for the ser#, has a few special braze-ons for how the cable gets to the rear cantilever brake. i recognize these photos (remind me) of the fork crown and lugs. Nice to see the orig decals on some of these, mines been repainted so i only know what was on it from memory.
chuck
Old 02-02-19, 05:05 PM
ccanepa

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Colin Laing Decal

did a repaint so it has its identity back...
I had some headtube/seatube transfers made up, waterslide decals with metalic paint, i have a pair extra as i only used 2 of the 4 made, diamond shape red top/wht mid/blu bottom, if interested LMK, can send pix, bit pricy as decals go but if you want them as i did ............

new here so cant post photo yet

ccanepa50@aol.com

prev post :
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by ccanepa
I still have my Colin Laing cyclocross bike in my bsmt from back in the day, I special ordered it in 1975, I’ll have to look for the ser#, has a few special braze-ons for how the cable gets to the rear cantilever brake. i recognize these photos (remind me) of the fork crown and lugs. Nice to see the orig decals on some of these, mines been repainted so i only know what was on it from memory.
chuck
Old 03-05-19, 02:26 PM
VanRAH

Bikes: Colin Laing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1976 Creation!

Greetings Ian, Stuart & all; I had joined this forum a while back to find bikers interested in the Colin Laing bikes. But because of poor tech skills & life getting in the way I didn't find this until today! To the boy's, your Dad's skills were "Amazing", Thank you for the pleasure of riding one of your dad's creations! Colin built mine in 1976, it was my Saturday & Sunday bike so it is in very good condition. I'll try to post pictures in the future? It's been about 6 - 7 years since I've used it, my last ride. It was about 4 miles & I knew my riding days were over. So what to do with it?? Any suggestions would be welcome. Ole' Bob.
Old 03-05-19, 07:03 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4528 Post(s)
Liked 6,424 Times in 3,698 Posts
Originally Posted by VanRAH
Greetings Ian, Stuart & all; I had joined this forum a while back to find bikers interested in the Colin Laing bikes. But because of poor tech skills & life getting in the way I didn't find this until today! To the boy's, your Dad's skills were "Amazing", Thank you for the pleasure of riding one of your dad's creations! Colin built mine in 1976, it was my Saturday & Sunday bike so it is in very good condition. I'll try to post pictures in the future? It's been about 6 - 7 years since I've used it, my last ride. It was about 4 miles & I knew my riding days were over. So what to do with it?? Any suggestions would be welcome. Ole' Bob.
First of all, welcome aboard, second go around, comment and say Hi to get 10 posts so you can post pics because without them, it didn't happen.
Old 03-07-19, 11:28 AM
VanRAH

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A BIG Thank you to everyone

Greetings Guys; First Thank You for the info & help. I received over 7 PM's last night. Of course I can't see them here. But they came in on my E-mail. Because I'm so damn tech challenged I can't even find some of my post from yesterday. I thought I had 7 but the moderator - owner must of deleted 2? When I find you again I will Thank you for this wonderful site & letting me kinda take an end run around your rules. But being I'm in a tough spot I ask you to please forgive me. And what really blows me away is one of the members here somehow posted pictures of my bike. Anyway I'm going to look around here & see if I can find the owner - moderator & the fella that posted my pictures. If I don't find ya, Thanks again everyone, Ole' Bob.
Old 03-07-19, 12:09 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4528 Post(s)
Liked 6,424 Times in 3,698 Posts
Originally Posted by VanRAH
Greetings Guys; First Thank You for the info & help. I received over 7 PM's last night. Of course I can't see them here. But they came in on my E-mail. Because I'm so damn tech challenged I can't even find some of my post from yesterday. I thought I had 7 but the moderator - owner must of deleted 2? When I find you again I will Thank you for this wonderful site & letting me kinda take an end run around your rules. But being I'm in a tough spot I ask you to please forgive me. And what really blows me away is one of the members here somehow posted pictures of my bike. Anyway I'm going to look around here & see if I can find the owner - moderator & the fella that posted my pictures. If I don't find ya, Thanks again everyone, Ole' Bob.
Click on your handle, then click on find all posts.
Old 04-09-19, 11:11 PM
azsuprasm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Finally have my COLIAN!

...and it’s an interesting one.

I was Bud’s assistant manager to Alan Brown at Tempe Bike in the early 90’s and I only wish I had taken pictures of what that “shop” (warehouse) looked like on the inside during those years. I had met both Colin and Ian in passing back then but my concerns were always on the other side of the shop.

I’m on FB SteveBay and Steel is Real! Groups now and rekindling my desire to build back up my old Bianchi SLX that I let go a few years ago. Also looking to tally 10 so I can post pics.

Cheers to Ian & Stuart for staying connected here and through the internet and keeping up with their Dad’s legacy.

Last edited by azsuprasm; 04-09-19 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-13-19, 06:11 PM
azsuprasm

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Colian in AZ

pics of the acquisition:

Likes For azsuprasm:
Old 04-13-19, 06:42 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 547 Posts
Originally Posted by azsuprasm

pics of the acquisition:

It's kinda strange that the tubing decal reminds me very much of a Supervitus 980 decal...... plus the BB cable guide footprint seems to look like the same shape as the ones on my Vitus Plus Carbone 9 and my Peugeot PY10FC........
Does this Colian frame have Vitus tubing, combined with Columbus dropouts??
Old 04-14-19, 10:17 PM
azsuprasm

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chombi1
It's kinda strange that the tubing decal reminds me very much of a Supervitus 980 decal...
Does this Colian frame have Vitus tubing, combined with Columbus dropouts??
Tubing on this frame is the Ishiwata "Magny-V"..."Double-butted Tubes, Forks & Stays".

So sez the sticker, so it has to be true.

Last edited by azsuprasm; 04-14-19 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Add a pic
Old 04-15-19, 02:17 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 547 Posts

This is the Supervitus decal I mentioned that I think was copied by Colin Laing.
Just replaced the SV 983 graphics in the center. That's why I suspected that the bike frame might have been built with Vitus tubing......
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 04-22-19, 09:34 AM
selaing

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Dad used whatever tubing he could get back in those days. Reynolds, Columbus or Ishiwata. Depended on what price the customer wanted to pay for the frame/bike.
Old 04-26-19, 04:15 PM
azsuprasm

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by selaing
Dad used whatever tubing he could get back in those days. Reynolds, Columbus or Ishiwata. Depended on what price the customer wanted to pay for the frame/bike.
Funny, that's exactly the way I remember it being, Stuart. I had replied in the same fashion to another post and I don't think the OP believed my answer.
Old 04-27-19, 12:20 PM
VanRAH

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finely

Greetings Guys; I finely found this post-thread again. I think I owe ya all some pictures & if I posted them before, chalk it up to senior moment. Anyway the question is what to do with this beautiful machine (work of art). I'm going to post my E-mail "vanrah@att.net" for those that may want to find me in the future. My 30 day membership is almost up. I'm not sure what privileges I'll lose other that the for sale area & or the word it's for sale in any post? I had broke some rules as I joined over a year ago, either read or forgot what I read (rules) but didn't become active until a month or so. Thank you for this post-thread & the people that make it possible. Right now I wish it was 30 years ago & I would be part of this seen-hobby. I've had my time carry it forward guys & gals. Ole' Bob.

Likes For VanRAH:
Old 04-28-19, 02:21 PM
azsuprasm

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Updated CL pics of his former personal ride

Stuart, thanks for the verification of this frame. I’ve brought it back a little closer to what it probably was set up with back in the day. Full Suntour Cyclone group sans hubs with the Accushift upgrade that was often done. Enjoy!
Old 06-04-19, 04:52 PM
azsuprasm

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
More Laings!

Funny, that's exactly the way I remember it being, Stuart. I had replied in the same fashion to another post and I don't think the OP believed my answer.
I couldn’t leave well enough alone and I rescued another odd bird from Colin’s nest...not his personal ride (I could never top that), but one of his early Tempe-built mono stay rides. It looks big, but only because the wheels are 650c’s!!!

I’m planning on building it up with 8spd STI, small cassette and large chainrings up front, but I’m wondering if this ride should be set up with a TT/Tri front end.

52 CtC Seat tube, 58 CtT.
58 CtC Top tube (both actual and virtual).
216mm head tube: yikes!

Thoughts appreciated, especially from Stuart or Ian if they know what tubes were used on this one: no sticker, no clue. Thanks!
Old 08-28-19, 12:56 PM
jeffpabilonia

Bikes: Colin Laing Professional Reynolds 753, Merlin Mountain Titanium

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
do you still have your Colian 753 ? I'm still riding mine, sent to Colin for some updates in 2008 just before he retired

Jeff
Old 09-01-19, 07:56 PM
morganew

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeffpabilonia
do you still have your Colian 753 ? I'm still riding mine, sent to Colin for some updates in 2008 just before he retired

Jeff
Still have my 753 and still ride it. Fork is changed to carbon, and I’m running newish Campagnolo 10. Colin built it for me to race in 1987? Something like that. Of all my race frames, it’s the only one I hung on to all these years.

We have 3 Colin-built bikes in the family. My mom has a mixti frame, which is insanely flexible (she loves it, I hate the feel) and my dad has a standard Reynolds with pretty relaxed angles. Both bikes were built by Colin in the 70’s. They have new carbon forks, but everything else is Campy Record. My parents are in their 80’s now, and still ride regularly.

All three bikes have been either toured (or in my case raced) on multiple continents and countries.

still working well, and comfortable to ride.
Old 09-02-19, 06:19 PM
jeffpabilonia

Originally Posted by morganew
Still have my 753 and still ride it. Fork is changed to carbon, and I’m running newish Campagnolo 10. Colin built it for me to race in 1987? Something like that. Of all my race frames, it’s the only one I hung on to all these years.

We have 3 Colin-built bikes in the family. My mom has a mixti frame, which is insanely flexible (she loves it, I hate the feel) and my dad has a standard Reynolds with pretty relaxed angles. Both bikes were built by Colin in the 70’s. They have new carbon forks, but everything else is Campy Record. My parents are in their 80’s now, and still ride regularly.

All three bikes have been either toured (or in my case raced) on multiple continents and countries.

still working well, and comfortable to ride.
that's great to hear you and your parents still enjoy Colin's bikes around the world and all active and healthy!
I put mine back to original Nuovo/Super Record and tubulars many years for vintage rides, then 2008 contacted Colin and discussed a neo-retro conversion. I sent to him for 130 spacing since cold setting tight wishbone 753 rear triangle not recommended, replaced threaded steerer with threadless on 753 fork, and finished with Ferrari red, gold pinstriping, hand painted Colin Laing on downtube, new 753 decals.
I installed Chris King Ti threadless headset, Cinelli Grammo Ti stem, Cinelli bar, Record compact carbon square taper on Phil BB, non-ergo Record Carbon levers since using down tube shifters, still using Cobalto brakes with modern Kool stop shoes/pads for safety, C-Record aero seatpost, Regal saddle, Ksyrium wheelset.
As you know, fantastic bike.. handles, climbs, descends, sprints, comfortable on long rides...
now when going off road, I take my Merlin mountain Ti, currently in gravel bike config with 700c, can easily switch back and forth to 26" per ride type
Old 09-04-19, 01:02 AM
jeffpabilonia

Originally Posted by merziac
First of all, welcome aboard, second go around, comment and say Hi to get 10 posts so you can post pics because without them, it didn't happen.

...and it’s an interesting one.

I was Bud’s assistant manager to Alan Brown at Tempe Bike in the early 90’s and I only wish I had taken pictures of what that “shop” (warehouse) looked like on the inside during those years. I had met both Colin and Ian in passing back then but my concerns were always on the other side of the shop.

I’m on FB SteveBay and Steel is Real! Groups now and rekindling my desire to build back up my old Bianchi SLX that I let go a few years ago. Also looking to tally 10 so I can post pics.

Cheers to Ian & Stuart for staying connected here and through the internet and keeping up with their Dad’s legacy.
I used to work for Alan, any idea what he's up to?
Old 09-04-19, 02:34 PM
azsuprasm

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffpabilonia
I used to work for Alan, any idea what he's up to?
I lost track of Alan years ago. He finally got through his degree and had moved on from the bike business after his shop at Thunderbird and Scottsdale Road had closed. I remember having found him again but we didn’t keep in touch...my fault. Louis is still at Trailhead, Steve Driscol still runs Airpark and there are still some of Bud’s former staff working all over the valley.

Still have my two Colians, both now unbuilt.
Old 09-04-19, 04:17 PM
jeffpabilonia

I lost track of Alan years ago. He finally got through his degree and had moved on from the bike business after his shop at Thunderbird and Scottsdale Road had closed. I remember having found him again but we didn’t keep in touch...my fault. Louis is still at Trailhead, Steve Driscol still runs Airpark and there are still some of Bud’s former staff working all over the valley.

Still have my two Colians, both now unbuilt.
thanks for update, hopefully you build up your Colians to ride, vintage or current, my 753 is mixture of old and new Campy Record Carbon 10, C-Record, etc. and still going strong
Old 09-04-19, 04:37 PM
jeffpabilonia

has anyone come across Colian Baracchi, sold mine years ago, lavender color, 26" front
Old 09-08-19, 10:20 PM
jeffpabilonia

Originally Posted by ciocc_cat
According to an email that I received from Colin, his last day of his long (frame building) career was June 13, 2009. He had been instructing "a couple of fine young men" in frame building and they had "expressed an interest in making off with all of my stuff".
just wondering if they started their own frame building company?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.