Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Turning a Domane SL6 into a SL7+

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-20, 09:30 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts

The outdoor riding season is over for me so I decided to start the upgrade process on my 2020 Trek Domane SL6. First I changed out the mechanical for Di2. Did the work myself and it went without a hitch. First time doing a conversion so it took longer than expected. Still need to fine tune the system and bleed the brakes. Today I picked up a new longer stem, and Bontrager Aeolus RSL V's for the ultimate upgrade. With the Dura Ace cassette and Rene Herse tires, I saved 773 grams over stock. Should make the bike feel lighter which is my goal.

So now it is closer to the SL7 but with even better wheels than the stock Aeolus Pro 3's, so I am calling my bike the SL7+. It will be my trainer bike for the next few months and I won't get to experience the full feeling until spring. The only thing it needs are Dura Ace discs for a better colour match. the white fins on Ultegra look out of place.

Old 11-05-20, 05:26 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Nice job!

I've got a similar setup here in Ottawa on my 2020 SLR7. Opted for the RSL 37Vs to shed a bit of weight too. I've moved away from the Rene Herses now, mind you, in favour of 30C Schwalbe Pro Ones tubeless. DA rotors are a nice touch

Last edited by SkepticalOne; 11-05-20 at 05:44 AM.
Old 11-06-20, 11:26 AM
gti337

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SkepticalOne , blakcloud How do you both like the RSL 37Vs? On the verge of pulling the trigger on an SLR7 with the addition of RSL 37Vs in place of the Aeolus Pro 3Vs.
Old 11-06-20, 01:09 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
The outdoor riding season is over for me so I decided to start the upgrade process on my 2020 Trek Domane SL6. First I changed out the mechanical for Di2. Did the work myself and it went without a hitch. First time doing a conversion so it took longer than expected. Still need to fine tune the system and bleed the brakes. Today I picked up a new longer stem, and Bontrager Aeolus RSL V's for the ultimate upgrade. With the Dura Ace cassette and Rene Herse tires, I saved 773 grams over stock. Should make the bike feel lighter which is my goal.

So now it is closer to the SL7 but with even better wheels than the stock Aeolus Pro 3's, so I am calling my bike the SL7+. It will be my trainer bike for the next few months and I won't get to experience the full feeling until spring. The only thing it needs are Dura Ace discs for a better colour match. the white fins on Ultegra look out of place.

Since we are getting all fetish about this, go with the XTR Rotors. Lighter and in my opinion better looking with enough black accents to work with your setup. Could also paint you Ultegra rotors with high temp flat black.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 11-06-20, 05:59 PM
ScottRiqui

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Looks great! I have an SL5 that I'm considering upgrading to Di2 - would you share what size your Domane is, and what cable lengths you ended up going with to connect the various pieces? I can't tell from the pictures - did you use the bar-end junction box? And did you use the wireless module?
Old 11-06-20, 06:22 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Where did you put the battery? Is it in the downtube under the water bottle next to all the hoses and such?
Old 11-06-20, 07:16 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Since the bike is only 1 year old, wouldn't it of been cheaper to buy a SL7 in the first place? Or were the finances just not available then?

Did you sell the stuff you removed to recoup some of the cost?

When i upgraged from Sram Red 22 mechanical to eTap I sold off the the shifters and derailleurs and my final cost was $900.
Old 11-06-20, 07:42 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462
Where did you put the battery? Is it in the downtube under the water bottle next to all the hoses and such?
My SLR7 has the battery in the downtube and the junction box in the bar end.

Brian

Last edited by jaxgtr; 11-06-20 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-06-20, 08:11 PM
blakcloud

Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
Looks great! I have an SL5 that I'm considering upgrading to Di2 - would you share what size your Domane is, and what cable lengths you ended up going with to connect the various pieces? I can't tell from the pictures - did you use the bar-end junction box? And did you use the wireless module?
My bike is a 54 cm. For wire lengths I found that information in the Domane Manual on page 10 section 7. It has all the lengths needed. I did use the bar end junction box and the wireless module.

I made my own colour coded diagram to keep things organized.

Originally Posted by yarbrough462
Yes, the bike already had a battery holder as in the diagram above. You unscrew it from under the downtube, pull it out and put the battery in and tighten it down. I did have to remove the crank set and T47 bottom bracket to fish the rear derailleur wire to Junction Box B.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 11-06-20, 08:15 PM
blakcloud

Originally Posted by velopig
Since we are getting all fetish about this, go with the XTR Rotors. Lighter and in my opinion better looking with enough black accents to work with your setup. Could also paint you Ultegra rotors with high temp flat black.
I do have a pair of XTR rotors on my custom and when they heat up they make that zing zing sound until they cool down. My thinking is that the cooling fins on the road versions seem to help in this regard. At least I haven't had any of the same noises on this bike.
Old 11-07-20, 03:24 PM
d4vid

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went with a similar route with Madone SLR 6... the first upgrade i did was the Di2 and i'll never go back to the mechanical shifting
Likes For d4vid:
Old 11-08-20, 06:32 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Originally Posted by gti337
SkepticalOne , blakcloud How do you both like the RSL 37Vs? On the verge of pulling the trigger on an SLR7 with the addition of RSL 37Vs in place of the Aeolus Pro 3Vs.
They're super premium in their finish and scuff a bit but are absolutely top notch. I find they ride more stiff than my ENVEs and dial the pressure back a bit. I'm running 30c tires at around 58psi and they are just superb o the descents. Gorgeous hubs and not as noisy as my 3Vs - also much lighter.
Old 11-08-20, 01:06 PM
blakcloud

Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
They're super premium in their finish and scuff a bit but are absolutely top notch. I find they ride more stiff than my ENVEs and dial the pressure back a bit. I'm running 30c tires at around 58psi and they are just superb o the descents. Gorgeous hubs and not as noisy as my 3Vs - also much lighter.
I have not actually tried them yet so I can't give an opinion. I need to set up the brakes and I am having a harder time than it should be but I attribute this to first time blunders. They do like nice though and I like that I have the option of using hook beaded tires. Glad to hear you like yours.
Old 11-11-20, 06:58 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
Your bike looks like my bike's twin brother

With the Dura Ace cassette, I'm assuming you changed your gear ratios? I considered going down that route as well for weight savings, but I really like the stock 11-34t cassette for the terrain where I ride. Looks like an 11-30t is the largest range in Dura Ace. XTR cassettes have more range, but still no 11-34t.

With the smaller cassette, I'm assuming you also went for the short cage rear derailleur instead of the medium cage that comes on the SL7?

Last edited by PoorInRichfield; 11-11-20 at 07:17 AM.
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 11-11-20, 08:22 AM
blakcloud

Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Your bike looks like my bike's twin brother

With the Dura Ace cassette, I'm assuming you changed your gear ratios? I considered going down that route as well for weight savings, but I really like the stock 11-34t cassette for the terrain where I ride. Looks like an 11-30t is the largest range in Dura Ace. XTR cassettes have more range, but still no 11-34t.

With the smaller cassette, I'm assuming you also went for the short cage rear derailleur instead of the medium cage that comes on the SL7?
The typical riding I do never needs anything more than a 28 and as you mentioned that is the biggest you get with Dura Ace. Weight savings was a consideration. I went with a medium cage on the new build because I knew I would need it for riding in the mountains of Japan. I kept the original cassette and the plan was to use the medium cage with the large cassette for the next trip. Unfortunately I don't know when the next trip is going to happen because of the pandemic. Going with the medium cage won't hurt in anyway even with my smaller cassette, it just doesn't look as good.
Old 11-29-20, 05:00 AM
Hywel

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone,

enjoying al the Domane sl6 chats.

I'm looking to upgrade my handlebars for a more aero, sleek look, has anyone done this?

would love to see any photos if you guys have, or advice?

thank you
Old 11-29-20, 08:14 AM
SkepticalOne

Originally Posted by Hywel
Hi everyone,

enjoying al the Domane sl6 chats.

I'm looking to upgrade my handlebars for a more aero, sleek look, has anyone done this?

would love to see any photos if you guys have, or advice?

thank you
I would recommend against trying to move in a direction other than comfort for Domane bars. The bike is made to keep you comfortable over very long hauls and so a bar with greatest comfort (isocore) and most forgiving hand positions would be my recommendation. And then a professional bike fit.

Here are the Aeolus RSL 37Vs on my SLR7 covered in road salt yesterday...

Old 11-29-20, 11:50 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
I would recommend against trying to move in a direction other than comfort for Domane bars. The bike is made to keep you comfortable over very long hauls and so a bar with greatest comfort (isocore) and most forgiving hand positions would be my recommendation. And then a professional bike fit.

NIce pic. When the road salt comes out here, my good bikes go in the basement...
Old 11-29-20, 02:12 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts

I wouldn't rule out aero bars.
I have the carbon 3t aero nova on my Giant Defy and for me they are very comfortable.
I like the flat tops and also the bars are quite flexible in the vertical plane and subsequently are excellent at absorbing road shock/vibration.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 11-29-20, 06:19 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
I like the flat tops and also the bars are quite flexible in the vertical plane and subsequently are excellent at absorbing road shock/vibration.
I agree in that I really could care less about the "aero" part of the Bontrager XXX aero bars on my Domane. I like having the flat tops for resting my hands during climbs or my elbows when I ride in a pseudo time-trial position.
Old 11-29-20, 06:36 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
I cheated, since I really don’t know how to work on bikes. I went out and bought the SLR7..........but I did put on the Bontrager decals.