Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Will compressionless brake housing make a huge difference?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-15, 10:17 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

I just installed a new front wheel and Avid BB7 brake on my utility hauler bike, which already had a Nashbar rigid fork with disc tabs on it. I went to my LBS and asked for compressionless brake cable housing, but they didn't have any, so I just got 3 feet of standard spiral brake housing. Now that it's all installed the lever feels pretty spongy, and in fact I can touch the handlebar grip with the brake lever if I pull hard enough.

I've heard that compressionless brake housing is supposed to be great for mechanical disc brakes. Of course I wanted to hurry up and get it set up which is why I just used the regular brake housing in the first place. So will it make a noticeable difference?
Old 06-15-15, 10:22 AM
CafeVelo

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Nashbar CX, Trek 2200 trainer bike, Salsa Casseroll commuter, old school FS MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not once everything is settled in.
Old 06-15-15, 10:32 AM
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I cannot imagine how spongy our tandem would be without compressionless brake housings. The brakes have great feel despite the speeds we are hauling down from with our combined weights. I think it's a good investment.
Old 06-15-15, 10:34 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Is the BB7 the road or mtb version, and are your brake levers canti/caliper levers or v brake levers?
Old 06-15-15, 10:50 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Two points about housing.

1- standard brake housing is a fully compressed coil on coil spring. As such it's already pretty compressionless. Sometimes people mishandle it, and make overly sharp bends which cause the spring to relax (move from compressed coil on coil), which will make the system feel spongy.

2- so-called compressionless housing will often make a cable feel firmer, but is prone to two typed of sudden catastrophic failure, which make it unsuitable fro brake use.

a- because the wires are nearly lengthwise, the compression load when the brake is applied causes them to bow outward. This is resisted only by the plastic cover, which has limited strength and can fail, especially if degraded by UV and time. Some housings prevent this by wrapping Kevlar or CF around the wires under the plastic. These are rated for brake use.

b- regardless of whether the housing is buttressed, the lengthwise wires tend to work to the center where the end meets the typical conical bottom ferrule or brake fitting. This can cause some binding, and in extreme cases can extrude through the fitting leading to failure. The issue can be solved with flat bottomed ferrules of sufficient strength to handle the load.

So compressionless housing can be used, if it addresses the two limiting factors. But may not solve the real problem, which I suspect may be sloppy fits at the ends. Take the system apart, and grind or file the housing ends flat so they sit squarely in the fittings. Then do a few hard squeezes to settle everything before adjusting the brake.

Other issues may include non cable flex, such as the brake lever arm or parts within the brake.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-15-15, 10:58 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18377 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I just installed a new front wheel and Avid BB7 brake on my utility hauler bike, which already had a Nashbar rigid fork with disc tabs on it. I went to my LBS and asked for compressionless brake cable housing, but they didn't have any, so I just got 3 feet of standard spiral brake housing. Now that it's all installed the lever feels pretty spongy, and in fact I can touch the handlebar grip with the brake lever if I pull hard enough.

I've heard that compressionless brake housing is supposed to be great for mechanical disc brakes. Of course I wanted to hurry up and get it set up which is why I just used the regular brake housing in the first place. So will it make a noticeable difference?
I've had problems adjusting the brakes on my cargo bike, front center pull, rear TRP Road. With Dia Compe Blaze (or similar) levers.

I think the solution is to replace my Blaze levers with Tektro RL520 levers.
Old 06-15-15, 11:06 AM
elessar007

Bikes: 1993 Fat Chance Wicked Lite, 1997 Spooky Mothership, Litespeed Obed, 1996 Cannondale R900, 1995 Diamondback Vertex. Note: None of my bikes are original spec. All are custom build ups.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately, the front brake is where you will notice the least difference since the cable goes through less housing than the rear.
Assuming you have the proper levers for the brake, it could be a few different simple things.
You should make sure that your housing ends are cut squarely so that the ferrule is solidly on and not moving on the housing when you pull the lever. Poorly cut housing can leave a 'fang' that acts like a spring pushing the ferrule away. When you grab the lever, the ferrule compresses back before you even begin to move the brake pads and everything will feel mushy.
Another reason could be that the cables we're not of the pre-stretched kind. They will offer a little more give at first until everything gets seated and broken in. Once that occurs, you may need to take up the slack by either a barrel adjuster or loosening the anchor bolt and pulling all the slack out.
However, if you don't have the proper lever for the Avid brake than I would start there and make sure your levers are compatible with that brake. Your levers might not be pulling enough cable.
Old 06-15-15, 11:32 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Regular spiral brake housing is good stuff. Routed properly and cut cleanly it will offer all the firmness needed for any decent brake. You have an actual problem somewhere and you need to figure out what it is. Hint: it's not something that can be fixed with compressionless housing. It could be in poorly cut housing, poorly routed housing, or the result of a lever/brake mismatch.

Other sources of flex when using rim brakes include flexy calipers, flexy frames/forks causing canti studs to shift outward, and soft squishy pads.

Originally Posted by Number400
I cannot imagine how spongy our tandem would be without compressionless brake housings. The brakes have great feel despite the speeds we are hauling down from with our combined weights. I think it's a good investment.
On a tandem with an extremely long rear cable, sure. On a front brake? Regular housing should handle that just fine. Something else is going on here.

Last edited by FastJake; 06-15-15 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-15-15, 11:32 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Two points about housing.

1- standard brake housing is a fully compressed coil on coil spring. As such it's already pretty compressionless. Sometimes people mishandle it, and make overly sharp bends which cause the spring to relax (move from compressed coil on coil), which will make the system feel spongy.

2- so-called compressionless housing will often make a cable feel firmer, but is prone to two typed of sudden catastrophic failure, which make it unsuitable fro brake use.

a- because the wires are nearly lengthwise, the compression load when the brake is applied causes them to bow outward. This is resisted only by the plastic cover, which has limited strength and can fail, especially if degraded by UV and time. Some housings prevent this by wrapping Kevlar or CF around the wires under the plastic. These are rated for brake use.

b- regardless of whether the housing is buttressed, the lengthwise wires tend to work to the center where the end meets the typical conical bottom ferrule or brake fitting. This can cause some binding, and in extreme cases can extrude through the fitting leading to failure. The issue can be solved with flat bottomed ferrules of sufficient strength to handle the load.

So compressionless housing can be used, if it addresses the two limiting factors. But may not solve the real problem, which I suspect may be sloppy fits at the ends. Take the system apart, and grind or file the housing ends flat so they sit squarely in the fittings. Then do a few hard squeezes to settle everything before adjusting the brake.

Other issues may include non cable flex, such as the brake lever arm or parts within the brake.
I was asking specifically about compressionless BRAKE housing, with the Kevlar around the wires. I know not to use compressionless shift housing for brakes.

I had V-brakes on the bike before, and switched the front to the Avid BB7 MTB version, using the same levers. The levers are integrated brake/shift pods, Shimano ST-EF51's.

Old 06-15-15, 11:43 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I had V-brakes on the bike before, and switched the front to the Avid BB7 MTB version, using the same levers. The levers are integrated brake/shift pods, Shimano ST-EF51's.
Since you have V-brake levers it can't be a lever/brake mismatch, so your parts are fine. But the front housing loops are WAY too long, like cartoonishly long. I wouldn't trust that the housing was cut well if the person doing the setup is that bad at getting the length correct. Is this something you can fix yourself? See also: Cables

Shoulda stuck with the V-brakes
Old 06-15-15, 11:48 AM
PatrickGSR94

I installed all the cables myself, thanks, and they're that long because the bars are FSA Metropolis ("mary jane" style I think?) and need to be that long to not get kinked up as they go around the head tube. When the cables come out of the brake/shifter pods they're angled forward instead of straight across as with normal flat bars.
Old 06-15-15, 11:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
to overcome the blow out potential of using SIS low-compression Gear housing, bundles of wire on end,
Jagwire added a Braided sheath of Kevlar within the outside covering, to be used on cable disc brakes..
Old 06-15-15, 01:00 PM
PatrickGSR94

hmmm.... now that I think about it I may have forgotten to put a cable housing end cap on the end that goes into the caliper. I'll check and fix that up this evening.
Old 06-15-15, 01:33 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I'm a big fan of Jagwire Rip Cord housing. I've used it on disc brake applications that were previously less than marginal and personally found that it made a huge difference. Now I won't use anything else. If spiral wound housing has so little give why is it inadequate for indexed derailleur use?
Old 06-15-15, 01:36 PM
PatrickGSR94

It looks like they dropped the name "Ripcord" and changed it to "Mountain Pro" and "Road Pro" housing.
Old 06-15-15, 01:45 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
There is compressionless housing designed for brakes. Two I've used are Yokozuna and Jagwire. The Yokozun cable is wrapped with a thin band of steel to prevent expansion failure and Jagwire is wrapped in Kevlar for the same purpose. The Yokozuna is very stiff and a bit larger diameter than standard. The Jagwire is less so. I enjoy the reduction in lever sponginess these have provided and will continue to use these or similar in the future.
Old 06-15-15, 03:31 PM
PatrickGSR94

Originally Posted by Looigi
There is compressionless housing designed for brakes. Two I've used are Yokozuna and Jagwire. The Yokozun cable is wrapped with a thin band of steel to prevent expansion failure and Jagwire is wrapped in Kevlar for the same purpose. The Yokozuna is very stiff and a bit larger diameter than standard. The Jagwire is less so. I enjoy the reduction in lever sponginess these have provided and will continue to use these or similar in the future.
Sounds good. I was looking at the version from Odyssey and I like how they have specially-designed cable end caps to help further protect from cable blowout.
Old 06-15-15, 09:40 PM
PatrickGSR94

Well I put a cable end cap on the end of the housing going into the caliper, and now it does feel a little better, at least equal to my rear Tektro V-brake.
Likes For PatrickGSR94:
Old 06-15-15, 09:44 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4207 Post(s)
Liked 3,872 Times in 2,314 Posts
The vast majority of our tandem uses compressionless housingless. It's called a frame tube with casing stops. Andy.
Old 06-16-15, 08:11 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
As someone who has done exactly what you have done, I can tell you from my experience that using compressionless brake housing will make a great difference in the feel and operation of the brake. I used Jagwire, and used the furrels that came with the housing. The spiral housing that I had when I put the disks on was like a sponge. The more I pulled the lever, the more the housing compressed. The rear brake had full housing, it was almost useless. With the compressionless housing I can lock it with ease.
Likes For leob1: