Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Was anyone even wearing a helmet in the 1980's?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Was anyone even wearing a helmet in the 1980's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-21, 04:02 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
V1 Pro in about 83. Wore it until my punk friends pressured me to be cool and not wear it. Bought a mountain bike with slicks for commuting in '88 and was bunny hopping streetcar tracks, damp from the morning dew, lost it and knocked myself out cold. Came to, tried to sit up as I was treated by paramedics and the world started spinning. Suffered vertigo on and off for most of my life and wore a helmet ever since. The vertigo can also be triggered by viruses. I don't do plumbing under sinks or get under cars.
Likes For clubman:
Old 04-25-21, 09:21 PM
Sluggo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
Time trialing, 1980-ish, in a Skid Lid. This helmet got intimate with the asphalt a few times and protected me from cranial road rash, but was not so good when my head ran into a tree during a practice cyclocross race.
Likes For Sluggo:
Old 04-26-21, 11:13 AM
Yacc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I was a teenager in the 80s. I never ever wore one or even saw one on a regular person (i.e. not a pro on TV) until about 1989. When I was a kid we used to crash our dirt bikes for fun and go flying off the front of them. Never hit my head -- what I really needed was knee pads...
Likes For Yacc:
Old 04-26-21, 11:17 AM
djs42

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by schwinnderella
I wore this one in the 80's.

My first helmet was the Brancale Sport. Pretty sure it was originally designed for Roller Derby.
Likes For djs42:
Old 04-26-21, 11:24 AM
dmanders

Bikes: 14 F8, 21 F12

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
In a 1977 crash with a car I hit my head hard on the pavement. I bought a Bell the next day and have worn a helmet ever since.

Last edited by dmanders; 04-26-21 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-26-21, 11:48 AM
jpdemers

Bikes: '78 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, on nicer wheels.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I got one in the late '70s, when I started riding the hills between the South Bay and the Pacific (mostly route 84 to/from San Gregorio.) The Palo Alto Bike Shop carried them early on, and I picked one up the day after my first high-speed descent on a twisty (and a wee bit sandy) stretch of road, with my choice of boulders or trees to slam into if I left the pavement. I'd never ridden that fast, and it scared the crap out of me. (Still have the Raleigh I rode on!)
My housemate bought one of the very first Kleins - they were absurdly expensive at the time - and wrecked it on that same road within 6 months. (Klein actually replaced it.) He bought a helmet afterwards.

Last edited by jpdemers; 04-26-21 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-26-21, 11:50 AM
trailrnr

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roypercy
I started wearing one of the early Bell helmets in the late '70s, the kind with a cloth cover over a foam shell as I recall. I'd' gotten a bad head injury as a kid when I went over the handlebars of my Western Flyer. When I got into college and bought a fast French bike I was doing a lot of riding over rural roads in Tennessee, where people then and now drove like mad dogs. I didn't want to take any more chances than I had to.
Western Flyer? I had one of those as a kid. I loved that bike, it took me everywhere!
Old 04-26-21, 12:14 PM
REV160

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Not 1970's but definitely in 1980's

I rode a bike to commute to graduate school in Boston in the mid-1970's and did not. I did crash going over streetcar tracks, but fortunately did not hit my head. It was rush hour, and I was more afraid of getting run over. In the mid-1980's, I bought my first good quality road bike and by then, everyone I knew was wearing a helmet.
Old 04-26-21, 12:16 PM
twowheelies

Bikes: 2021 Roubaix, 2003 Bianchi San Lorenzo, 2018 Specialized Crosstrail, 1994 Diamondback Master,

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Never wore one until the 90s, and then only in the city.

Can't tell you how many times I fell off, went over the handlebars etc as a kid isn the 60s and 70s on Long Island - and never hit my head. And no one I know ever did. We all rode around all day long, and I never knew one kid that got hit by a car or who got seriously injured in any way on a bike.

But I think drivers were a little more sane then. And there were fewer cars.

I live in NYC and always wear one when riding in the city... but not on a long open road out in the country. don't see the point really.
Old 04-26-21, 12:51 PM
joeconn4

Bikes: serotta colorado lt (1992)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got my first helmet probably around 1982 or 1983, a Bell Tourlite. I know I had it when I went to college, fall 1983. I was just a fitness rider back then, didn't get into racing until a few years later.

When I started racing in 1987 I got a bell V1Pro in black. That was the go-to helmet with the people I rode with. Then in spring 1989 I won a mountain bike race and one of the prizes was an Avenir helmet, one of the ones with a lycra cover after companies stopped using hard shells for their race helmet models. Used that for a couple seasons. Looking at pictures, in 1992 I must have gotten one of the new Specialized grey helmets that were foam only, with no lycra cover. Those kind of looked like the old hair nets, but in foam instead of leather.
Old 04-26-21, 12:55 PM
sammymann

Bikes: Palomar GT, JAMIS Alegro 1,Retrospect FoldUp, Cyclepro Rendezvous

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In my 62 years of bicycling...still haven't taken to helmets. I have certainly sustained my share of injuries. Including a head knocker as a sophomore in hi skool... Got 2 days relief from school. Faux sympathy provided me with make up exams. Where I came from. Stupid enough to hurt yourself, stupid enough to get failing marks. Do not pass go.
Old 04-26-21, 12:57 PM
J28

Bikes: Custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We required them

My bike club was family-oriented. Helmets for all were required. Gloves were encouraged. Bikes' brakes and set-up were inspected. All this was before you were allowed to get a map of the routes.

I recall that the original Bell helmets had a design flaw and Bell changed their design and refunded some $$$ but I can't recall the specifics. Something about its performance in a typical header and damaging spines.

I used to give seminars on bike safety. I always wore one to set a good example. One day I went up a driveway with a 1" ridge off the pavement while going too slow and at the wrong angle. I was down on the concrete before I knew what was happening. Despite my Bell, I was out for a while and woke wondering how it happened I was cheek-to-pavement.

It still annoys me when I see some idiot riding against traffic with no helmet. I live in a college town. In non-covid times we lose three or four a year including some brilliant people.
Old 04-26-21, 12:59 PM
SkyWave

Bikes: 1970 Gitane Tandem, OPUS CX Ultegra Di2 '14, MARINONI Retro SL Campagnolo '17, MARINONI Tourismo '00 Shimano 105, KHS Tandemania Cross Shimano

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Bike Helmet - YES!

They were not available in 50's and 60's when I learned to ride as a child and I did not wear one UNTIL I had CHILDREN in the 1980.s.
How else can you encourage them unless you set an example. I have always worn one since, city or country, cruising or riding hard.
I also wear a helmet when I downhill ski and ride motorized recreational vehicles.

Each person thinks it wouldn't happen to them, but rather it is only a hope it will not happen to them.
For those that do see the point, it only takes that one moment when your head hits the ground and end up with an ABI - acquired brain injury.
I have cracked one helmet, no injury. Unfortunately the broken leg(hip) and separated shoulder were more serious so my wife would prefer full body protection.
Old 04-26-21, 01:14 PM
sammymann

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live in what was once 'The most corrupt little city in the United States Of America', Bell, CA 90201..... I do love the fact that Bell Helmets and the Bell brand came from our infamous little city. Decent city to ride a bike. Being very cautious is still a priority.
Old 04-26-21, 01:42 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I got a Bell Biker around 1980 because AYH was requiring helmets for youth tour groups. Also around that time a friend witnessed another rider taco a wheel and leave long streak of plastic from his helmet shell on the road.
Old 04-26-21, 01:51 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by twowheelies
Never wore one until the 90s, and then only in the city.

Can't tell you how many times I fell off, went over the handlebars etc as a kid in the 60s and 70s on Long Island - and never hit my head. And no one I know ever did. We all rode around all day long, and I never knew one kid that got hit by a car or who got seriously injured in any way on a bike.

But I think drivers were a little more sane then. And there were fewer cars.

I live in NYC and always wear one when riding in the city... but not on a long open road out in the country. don't see the point really.
+1!
Yes, those were the days! There were less cars and they were car height.

More sane? Maybe, but drivers then were definitely not poking at GPS units, touch infotainment screens, or talking and texting on phones, all while looking down at a bicyclist from the higher SUV. At least now you do not get the cigarette butts thrown out the windows so much as back then.
Old 04-26-21, 02:17 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I sure didn’t and even until 2011.
Old 04-26-21, 02:41 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by sammymann
I live in what was once 'The most corrupt little city in the United States Of America', Bell, CA 90201.
Ha! I remember that. Did all those city officials end up in jail or did they all get away to a tropical paradise with their ill gotten gains?
Likes For davester:
Old 04-26-21, 02:54 PM
Roypercy

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by trailrnr
Western Flyer? I had one of those as a kid. I loved that bike, it took me everywhere!
It was a tough bike. My parents bought it for me when I wasn't tall enough for it ("you'll grow into it!") so it survived a lot of crashes.
Old 04-26-21, 02:59 PM
sammymann

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by davester
Ha! I remember that. Did all those city officials end up in jail or did they all get away to a tropical paradise with their ill gotten gains?
Actually the city manager Robert Rizzo and his assistant received fairly long prison sentences. I believe Rizzo is still serving his. I don't know about the assistant. I know that the mayor had to return some $350K + Everybody else that was arrested spent some time in jail, under a week for the most part. If restitution was due I suspect it was collected.
Old 04-26-21, 04:55 PM
RichThom
Richard

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4,Kona Smash, 73’ ? Ron Cooper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a skid lid in the mid 70s. Luckily I've never a head injury.
Old 04-26-21, 06:01 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
a snapshot (literally) of what the racers were wearing in 1982 in Durango, Colorado at the Iron Horse Classic.
i.e. lots of leather hairnets, with just one hard shell helmet visible.
Trivia question: can you find the guy who raced in the Tour de France? (I only know of one, but maybe Davis Phinney or Bob Roll is hiding in the pack?)

as for myself, I think it was around 1980 when my mom got me a Bell Biker. I was stationed in Yuma at the time, which is too stinkin' hot to be wearing a heavy, poorly ventilated helmet.
I did wear one at work now and then, though...

I was fixing the avionics, but got a ride in the backseat a handful of times. Very fun.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 04-26-21, 06:13 PM
sabele

Bikes: Basso Loto, Andre Bertain, Schwinn Madison, Litespeed Unicoi, Easton full sustension, Macau non-suspended MTN, Merlin Agilis, A-D Superlicht, Daccordi Piuma, Scott CR1 (former owner Thomas Frischnecht), Van Diesel CX, Alan Top Cross, Scattante CX, Ri

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeBass
They apparently sold a lot of them, but none of the guys I rode with wore one back then.

The Vintage Cycling Helmet: Bike Helmets of the 1970's & 1980's - YouTube
I still have my Bell helmet with a helmet-mounted mirror from 1981. I used to pick up and drop off my daughter at the baby sitter in the spring/summer
Old 04-26-21, 06:18 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
No. I can't recall ever noticing anyone wearing a helmet until I was travelling around the country for work in the 90s and one of my colleagues traveled around with MTB and wore one. I never knew anyone in the 'sport'. We just rode String Ray knock-offs, then BMX for fun/transportation, then I was the only one that continued to ride consistently on a 10 speed for fun/transportation as everyone else was getting into cars. When I got an MTB to ride with colleague I ended up getting a helmet after first mishap. Once I had it I started wearing it all the time. One of my old friends liked to call me bucket head when he would see me around.
Old 04-26-21, 06:50 PM
EVFreewheeler

Bikes: 1963 Olmo Special, 1961/70 Wander, 1978 Santana Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
My first helmet was a leather heavily padded helmet by John Kucharik, started wearing it in the late '60s. My next helmet was the Bell Biker in the mid '70s, followed by the Bell Micro in the '80s. I am now on my 5th or 6th helmet, all of them made by Bell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.