Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help!! Dumb move; Suntour brake cam lost

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-21, 11:30 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts

hi there, i'd been working on my ross mt hood and had to take the rear brake loose because i broke the stud on the lever reach adjuster came. perhaps i left the pinch bolt loose on the brake cam and so it fell it off somewhere transporting the bike from the area i had been working down to the workshop to finish things up. i don't know. all i know is now i can't find the cam. there's a replacement on ebay with no pinch bolt, but it's the narrower cam as is on the front. the rear had a wide body cam like this one.....

question is can i use the narrower style came on the rear like this one?...

also, can i use a pinch bolt for it like any ol' thing from a center pull or cantilever yoke?

thanks. i'm gonna keep looking for the cam i lost, though

ps. i should add i'm working on suntour xc roller cams....not xcd. don't know if that makes any difference
Old 09-02-21, 03:40 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 940 Posts
Were it me. and considering that the cam appears to be nothing more that a flat piece of steel, I would simply make another one...

Get a piece of stainless steel that is the same thickness as the one you lost. I am assuming that you have one from the other brake to compare to. A piece of stainless steel might be readily available at a pawn shop or used items store in the form of a metal cooking pot. Trace the shape you need, based on the one cam that you do have. It will take some time and require the use of a drill, hacksaw and half round file. It should not be too hard to do. Perhaps needless to say, your home made one will not be imbued with the Suntour name but it should work just fine.
Old 09-02-21, 08:05 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
After you make it, you will find the one you lost. That's the way it rolls with me.
Old 09-02-21, 09:57 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by onyerleft
Don't know really know, why not try it using your front cam? At the bike kitchen where I volunteer, we have a tray full of odds and ends like cams, and sometimes we (well I, anyway) will even let those go for free if we (or I) like the customer. Maybe seek out such a place in your area? Sometimes they are near college campuses, although mine isn't because the nearest large college operates its own student bike store, selling new parts only.
there's not such a place like that in my area, anymore. the "bike city" closed years ago and now it's just the big shops and they don't usually retain old parts like that. i wish there was a co-op here
Old 09-02-21, 10:01 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by randyjawa
Were it me. and considering that the cam appears to be nothing more that a flat piece of steel, I would simply make another one...

Get a piece of stainless steel that is the same thickness as the one you lost. I am assuming that you have one from the other brake to compare to. A piece of stainless steel might be readily available at a pawn shop or used items store in the form of a metal cooking pot. Trace the shape you need, based on the one cam that you do have. It will take some time and require the use of a drill, hacksaw and half round file. It should not be too hard to do. Perhaps needless to say, your home made one will not be imbued with the Suntour name but it should work just fine.
that'll be a last resort. i mean, i had thought of that immediately, but the question remains will a narrow style cam work the same for the rear in terms of pull/actuation? if so, tracing the front cam and making a copy is a grand solution. otoh, the one on ebay is going for $12 and change...sans the hardware. and, of course, making a copy would be a lot easier with a band saw...that i don't have
Old 09-02-21, 10:02 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by SJX426
After you make it, you will find the one you lost. That's the way it rolls with me.
lol....yeah, same here
Old 09-02-21, 10:11 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1394 Post(s)
Liked 1,335 Times in 841 Posts
I have a RollerCam front brake, but a U-brake in back, so no direct experience w/ the front-back difference.

However, for under-the-chainstay orientation, the brake arms/shoes cannot be allowed to swing outward too far, because of interference with the cranks, chainrings, etc. This is where it would make sense to go with a wider cam plate in back. If you use the narrower one, make sure you don't have a mechanical interfrence problem. The other difference you might notice would be in modulation of the brakes, which would be a function of the respective curvatures of the wide and narrow cam plates.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-02-21, 10:39 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 937 Posts
There was a site with a store in Louisiana (IIRC) that had roller cam parts (I ordered a 3rd hand tool years ago)- along with a bunch of other NOS Suntour (lower end) parts.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-02-21, 11:16 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by John E
I have a RollerCam front brake, but a U-brake in back, so no direct experience w/ the front-back difference.

However, for under-the-chainstay orientation, the brake arms/shoes cannot be allowed to swing outward too far, because of interference with the cranks, chainrings, etc. This is where it would make sense to go with a wider cam plate in back. If you use the narrower one, make sure you don't have a mechanical interfrence problem. The other difference you might notice would be in modulation of the brakes, which would be a function of the respective curvatures of the wide and narrow cam plates.
oh boy....that's what i have, too. <<<scream!!>>> i hate that i lost this thing.
i suppose i'll have to try the front brake's cam plate on the rear as onyerleft suggested and see what happens. i did have to trim the kool stop salmon pad on the non drive side when i installed them in order that the crank would clear the brake. the arm kept swiping the end of the pad post.
Old 09-02-21, 12:02 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
There was a site with a store in Louisiana (IIRC) that had roller cam parts (I ordered a 3rd hand tool years ago)- along with a bunch of other NOS Suntour (lower end) parts.
there was....lol! well, if you ever remember the name of it or run across it at some point, please let me know. at some point, i think i'd like to stock a few spare parts for these brakes. i'm really liking them...antiquated as they are. they feel nice and solid and stop like beasts
Old 09-02-21, 12:04 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by onyerleft
Don't know really know, why not try it using your front cam? At the bike kitchen where I volunteer, we have a tray full of odds and ends like cams, and sometimes we (well I, anyway) will even let those go for free if we (or I) like the customer. Maybe seek out such a place in your area? Sometimes they are near college campuses, although mine isn't because the nearest large college operates its own student bike store, selling new parts only.
so, i just tried this out and works just fine. thanks! i should'a thought of that myself, but i don't always think straight in the midst of panic and despair...haha
Old 09-02-21, 12:06 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by John E

upon the suggestion, i tried the front cam plate on the rear and there's no interference. i actually gained a bit more clearance! and, the actuation doesn't feel any different, either. so, i'm just gonna order the cam plate on ebay. maybe the one i lost will turn up in a week afterward...hahaha
Old 09-03-21, 09:18 AM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Drag a magnet on the ground along the route you traveled taking the bike inside - maybe it will pick up the missing plate. Unless it is aluminum or stainless.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 09-03-21, 01:39 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by CroMo Mike
Drag a magnet on the ground along the route you traveled taking the bike inside - maybe it will pick up the missing plate. Unless it is aluminum or stainless.
i've got one, too. a nice strong one on an extendable handle. from harbor freight. i plan to do this today...as soon as i can find the magnet...lol. wife left it somewhere
Old 09-04-21, 12:38 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
I guess you'll have to drag some metal to find the magnet first?
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 09-06-21, 03:31 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by CroMo Mike
I guess you'll have to drag some metal to find the magnet first?
hahahaha.....good one!

i did eventually find the magnet tool. wife used it and left it the feed shed

also, embarrassingly, i just found the cam plate a few minutes ago!! i searched everywhere for days and all through laundry i was sure i'd worn that week. (i tend to stick stuff in my pockets since i frequently wear cargo shorts = handy.) anyway, i just happened to put on the pair of shorts i'd actually worn that day.(vs the ones i thought i wore) and there's the plate in the front pocket...pffth. oh well. now i have a spare cam plate on the way