Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Zach Gallardo

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-21, 10:54 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
I’m happy for him that he gets paid or product or whatever.

I’m happy he puts info out there.

I don’t think having a bunch of media out there with my face on it is for me.
Old 09-19-21, 08:46 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
I actually wonder how much money he can even make on those videos.
Old 09-20-21, 02:05 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Rage
I actually wonder how much money he can even make on those videos.
I don't know but apparently he's getting hooked up with new bikes. He should have one taken back for that last backyard mechanic video. No torque wrench (attention to detail my young Zach), trying to chop off a cog, frame hanging up in a tree wobbling
Old 09-23-21, 11:51 AM
sleepy

Bikes: All have flats.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
His Wabi sponsorship irritates me. I watch his stuff, but it feels so dated when talks about going brakeless or slamming a stem. The 2000's were a decade ago. My favorite one is when he rates bikes by going online and reading their specs. I'm on a computer online watching a guy on a computer talk about bikes he saw online.
Old 09-28-21, 01:01 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
I feel Kirsten has shown real staying power, definitely not a one trick pony. She’s been acting in Hollywood for decades and has a lot of good roles to her credit. But she’s not the typical glamorous starlet; she’s attractive in her own down-to-earth way, which is part of her appeal.
Who??
what???
really??
Old 09-28-21, 03:05 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by thehammerdog
Who??
what???
really??
I think the real appeal to any famous person we find attractive is (counterintuitive) that we don’t actually know them. So they stay as whatever our imagination ideal version of them is.

I think the industry and most actors/actresses know this on some level.

To me the desire to be famous is seriously weird. It would be fun for a day, or maybe a week. Then it sounds like a nightmare. So maybe these famous people are secretly sociopaths? Or maybe they just didn’t think it through.

I have a suspicion most of them have major daddy issues, ie, nobody threw them up in the air and adored them as toddlers, so they’re looking for it.

Couple more thoughts on the subject.

Yes famous people, by becoming famous you made the decision that your future kids would be harassed by fans/paparazzi/whatever.
You can’t realistically say “Idolize me” for 20 years or whatever then turn around and say “Please respect my family.” Doesn’t work that way.

I had a group of neighbors when I lived in Culver City. 3 roommates from some acting school in NYC. They all wanted desperately to be famous. One of them got some kind of short term modeling contract… if he changed his name, changed his look, changed his hair style and color.

I was like “So they don’t really want you.”

Nope. I want to be wealthy. I also want to be completely anonymous to society at large as soon as I drive off the job site.
Old 09-28-21, 03:16 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Above comment not so much about the Wabi guy.
More about Hollywood.

I imagine a niche following of fixed bike friends would be a lot less stress than broad fame.
Old 09-29-21, 10:47 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
Who??
what???
really??
You must have a different concept of beauty. That's okay. Tell us who you consider beautiful in a natural and charming way. I'd like to know.
Old 09-30-21, 06:30 PM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts
I used to watch him several years ago when he was making videos like "fixie vs fixed gear vs track bike" and "what makes a bike proper". He kinda died out for a couple of years. From what I am hearing, he is now being called as a "poser" and a "sellout"?
Old 10-01-21, 05:02 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
I have seen a couple of his videos and I dunno if he is a sellout so much as a paid spokesman. And who knows how much they’re paying him, or even if they are, at all. They might just send him a bike every once in a while for all we know.
And, heck, I’d love if Wabi sponsored me in some way and/or sent me bikes to ride.

As far as being a poser, he seems genuine. He might just be putting it on for the videos.

We should try and get him to weigh in on this. Like leave a comment on one of his videos and try and direct him here lol.
Likes For Rage:
Old 10-02-21, 05:38 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I just tried to watch a couple of his videos. In the two videos I skimmed through he doesn't seem to know what he's doing/talking about. One where he shows you how to tighten a rear wheel that looked like a parody of someone showing you how to tighten a rear wheel. And another one about bottom brackets that didn't provide any useful information about bottom brackets. I guess that appeals to some people? I have no problem with the paid placements or live reads. Everybody's gotta eat.

I have been watching a lot of James Hoffmann coffee videos lately. Now there's a guy who knows what he's talking about. Check it out if you are even mildly interested in coffee.
Likes For kingston:
Old 10-08-21, 02:28 PM
TheRealDrPhil
2+1+0=1

Bikes: Fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
I found Zach's YT videos when I started riding fixed, and initially thought him pretty uninformed. No road cycling or racing background, not context derived from cycling history, etc. But after a while, watching him because there was nothing else, and the YT algorithm kept feeding him to me, I realized that maybe he was providing a valuable service to the fixed gear community. Simply by doing his videos, naiivity and ignorance included, promotes an interest in cycling and particularly the single speed, fixed gear segment. I'm personally not into the fixie culture and find those videos of people running red lights in downtown NY totally insane and scary as hell. But if more people get interested in fixed gear riding, then the demand for products goes up and hopefully we get more choices for gear. The track scene is small and localized resulting in almost no access to trick parts online. (If there's an online track community, plaese point me to it!) But back to Zach. I haven't seen any videos from him since the pandemic hit. Maybe he's doing something else nowdays?
Likes For TheRealDrPhil:
Old 10-09-21, 04:21 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
I think he makes good money from these YT videos. He said in past video that doesn't do anything else but make these thing. (Must be nice, right?)
Old 10-09-21, 12:05 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRealDrPhil
But back to Zach. I haven't seen any videos from him since the pandemic hit. Maybe he's doing something else nowdays?
He's alive and well post pandemic.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 10-09-21, 02:19 PM
sebasbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
He makes pretty good content and it helps the fixed gear community.
I dont know how it is for the rest of you guys but there isn't a big fixed gear scene where im from and im guessing there isnt a big scene anywhere else but cities like New york, Portland, Chicago, and some cities in California so his videos are informative. the degree of information that he might give is subjective to some but watching his videos is a great way to get "into" fixed gears or even learn about different parts available.
the only other videos regarding fixed gear bikes ive seen on youtube are people riding fixed gears or some shop owners in Japan or Taiwan building bikes. both are very interesting but show different content than zack gallardo.
I started out with a very cookie cutter fixed gear from china and thanks to his videos i even ended up in this forum and making a pretty solid build.
Likes For sebasbike: