Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stuck ST-M320 front shifter resolved

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-21, 08:50 AM
hamcereal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts

I'm sure some people have experienced stuck shifters and have been told to soak the inner mechs with WD-40.
MY front shifter (ST-M320) wasn't shifting to the largest chain ring, and I wasn't hearing a click on the shifter.
After soaking with WD-40 and waiting a day for it to set in, I was still having the problem.
I opened up the shifter, watched the movement and realized the pawl wasn't going back down and therefore not catching the ratchet tooth.
So basically I just sprayed more WD-40 and some ZEP citrus degreaser and delicately moved the pawl up and down with a tiny screwdriver to loosen the movement.
After about 5 minutes of movement back and forth, the pawl was reacting to the spring resistance again and started catching the ratchet tooth perfectly.
In case anyone is struggling with these Exage shifters, hope this helps!
Old 09-22-21, 05:52 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,372 Times in 720 Posts
We do this operation at the shop almost daily during the spring and summer.
Likes For TiHabanero: