Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Freewheel no engaging - removal required?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-21, 04:39 AM
rmwesley

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts

Please could I ask your advice... I have a BMX wheel which is probably 80s / 90s. The freewheel doesn't consistently engage when pedaling, so I'm guessing grease has gunged up the ratchets inside the freewheel body and the pawls aren't able to engage. Does this sound likely and, if so, is it possible to pull the freewheel apart to degrease it etc? I also don't have the correct tool to remove the freewheel, so if anyone could also point me towards what is required it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Richard

Old 09-12-21, 05:03 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 2,057 Posts
Not a BMX guy but that looks like a cassette freehub not freewheel hub.
​​​​​​https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listc...hreadid=104117
Old 09-12-21, 05:45 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
I’ll take a stab at it- If you can find an edge where a rotating part turns around a stationary part, I would use a syringe with some oil and inject oil into the freehub. Spin it around, wait a while, spin some more, wait, maybe more oil, spin, etc. you may be able to free up the pawls inside.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 09-12-21, 08:26 AM
rmwesley

Flushed it through with solvent and the pawls are now engaging much better / properly. Will lubricate with light oil.

Still wouldn’t mind knowing what tool was required to remove the freewheel though if anyone knows that.

Cheers.
Old 09-12-21, 09:26 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by rmwesley
Flushed it through with solvent and the pawls are now engaging much better / properly. Will lubricate with light oil.

Still wouldn’t mind knowing what tool was required to remove the freewheel though if anyone knows that.

Cheers.
Not a BMX type, but it looks to me the Park Tools FR-6 BMX freewheel remover tool might fit it. It has 4 notches, while yours has 8 - but the tool might fit if the "teeth" are the right size.

Might be worth contacting Park Tool and asking - perhaps they could tell you, particularly if you send them a link to the last photo.

Of course, I might be "out to lunch" here. As I said, I'm not a BMX rider.

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-12-21 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Wording change.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 09-12-21, 04:44 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
It is a freehub that only comes off by a hex bit. The solvent wash is the best method to free it up. The cog can be removed by prying the snap ring off and the cog will slip off, but not needed. Washing it with light oil will be your best bet. Looks like a lot of the BMX hubs I built and watched the kids race in the ABA and NBA. I hope the rest of the bike has the matching anodized parts. Post a Pic of the whole bike for us to enjoy. Smiles, MH
Old 09-12-21, 11:37 PM
rmwesley

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
It is a freehub that only comes off by a hex bit. The solvent wash is the best method to free it up. The cog can be removed by prying the snap ring off and the cog will slip off, but not needed. Washing it with light oil will be your best bet. Looks like a lot of the BMX hubs I built and watched the kids race in the ABA and NBA. I hope the rest of the bike has the matching anodized parts. Post a Pic of the whole bike for us to enjoy. Smiles, MH
Many thanks for the reply. The wheels are on a Diamondback Viper which is in equally good condition but unfortunately not mine. Just doing a favour for a friend, but more used to working on road bikes and MTB. I’ll try and get a pic.
Old 09-13-21, 05:10 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Thanks for weighing in here, Mad Honk - turns out I was indeed "out to lunch", and learned something.

To rmwesley: sorry about the incorrect info I provided above. Photos can sometimes be deceiving in the absence of relevant experience. (smile)

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-13-21 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Add info.
Likes For Hondo6: