Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Modern road pedals that are polished aluminum?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-21, 03:01 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts

As per the title. I'm looking for some new road pedals that are polished aluminum, like Shimano used to make. Not SPD's, something that is Shimano or Look, ect compatible. Everything I see today is black. I have some VP pedals that are painted silver but I'm not looking for painted. Anything out there?
Old 05-07-21, 03:11 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Not sure what's on the market now, but there was a recent thread (started within the last week or so) about removing anodization in which someone shared a pic of clipless road pedals they had stripped and polished. They looked very nice.
Old 05-07-21, 03:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10445 Post(s)
Liked 11,927 Times in 6,105 Posts
I have been looking at Shimano PD-7401 and PD-6401 pedals on Ebay, to go with a pair of 80s bikes I got recently, one with Sante kit and the other with 7200 Dura Ace. Most of the ones I see, about 1/4 to 1/2 of the paint is already gone. You could start there, strip off the paint with Scotchbrite pads then work your way up through various grits of sandpaper and eventually polish.

Mind you, the pedals are the one thing you CAN'T see while riding, so I myself am less concerned about their aesthetics.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-07-21, 04:10 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2199 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 1,768 Posts
I have a pair of these, which I think look pretty nice: the Union SP-5700.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 05-07-21, 04:56 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
Classic quill road pedals -- VeloOrange road pedals. I have a set on one of my Univegas...

Old 05-07-21, 05:57 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
If you're okay with traditional pedals that you can add clips to, the new generation of MKS Sylans (called "Sylvan Next") come with a high polish finish in addition to buttery smooth cartridge bearings (finally-- MKS loose ball bearings have always been a problem for me). I've got a pair (the touring version) on one bike and they're the blingy-est component on the bike!

Likes For southpawboston:
Old 05-07-21, 05:57 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
As per the title. I'm looking for some new road pedals that are polished aluminum, like Shimano used to make. Not SPD's, something that is Shimano or Look, ect compatible. Everything I see today is black. I have some VP pedals that are painted silver but I'm not looking for painted. Anything out there?
MKS Sylvan, touring or Stream, reasonable price, bulletproof, been around just as long as most others.

One of the best values in all of cycling then and now IMO.

Not polished, none really are/were but these look great all the time.

Realizing now, you may still be talking clipless so......

Last edited by merziac; 05-07-21 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-07-21, 06:51 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
MKS Sylvan, touring or Stream, reasonable price, bulletproof, been around just as long as most others.

One of the best values in all of cycling then and now IMO.

Not polished, none really are/were but these look great all the time.

Realizing now, you may still be talking clipless so......
The newest version of the MKS Sylvan is called Sylvan Next. Like southpawboston I recently got a pair for my wife's around town bike. They are very highly polished aluminum with the smoothest bearings. I was just showing them to another C&V member yesterday. I spun them to show him how long they would keep spinning. Besides several quill versions, they also have new version of the old standard of pedal for toe clips that look like the old Campy style. These are/were available from Quality Bicycle Products but became out of stock almost immediately (except for the Campy look alike model). QBP has plenty of them in stock.
Old 05-07-21, 07:00 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
The newest version of the MKS Sylvan is called Sylvan Next. Like southpawboston I recently got a pair for my wife's around town bike. They are very highly polished aluminum with the smoothest bearings. I was just showing them to another C&V member yesterday. I spun them to show him how long they would keep spinning. Besides several quill versions, they also have new version of the old standard of pedal for toe clips that look like the old Campy style. These are/were available from Quality Bicycle Products but became out of stock almost immediately (except for the Campy look alike model). QBP has plenty of them in stock.
I swear by the older ones, the new ones look great, no surprise, MKS has and does always deliver, great value, tough as nails, the whole package real deal for a very long time now.

I have always meant to get after an older set with Scotchbrite, polish and elbow grease to see how I could do, this may finally be the motivation, maybe soak the main cage, body part to strip or soften the anodizing first to speed things up and yield a better result.

Also the new Next while looking great on their own, do not have the classic aesthetic of the old ones, they immediately to me look modernized and not entirely in a good way.

I'll stick with the originals for the correct vibe but the new ones are definitely a good fit for those that can't or don't want to deal with maintaining them.

Last edited by merziac; 05-07-21 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-08-21, 03:05 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Thanks everyone. yeah, I'm talking about modern "racing" style pedals.

Now that I'm getting well into middle age I think my mind is starting to slip. I forgot I have a set of PD-6600's. I got them with a used bike I bought years ago. I didn't get cleats with them and when I researched most of the reviews were horrible so I didn't mess with them. Has anyone used them? And do they work with 3 hole soles? They appear you have to use a shoe that accepts spd cleats. And they have that pontoon with holes on each side. It's weird, I can't figure them out. Sorry for my poor photography skills.

The cleats look like they bolt on like regular spd, but then that pontoon needs a hole on each side??

Last edited by Lazyass; 05-08-21 at 03:08 AM.
Old 05-08-21, 08:33 AM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
Exustar E-PR101SL

Polished silver Keo clone pedals

The website link isn’t working and I don’t know where to buy them except a single pair on Canadian fbay.

Last edited by C9H13N; 05-08-21 at 08:37 AM.