Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

I like platform pedals - comments?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-06, 11:47 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have never liked having my feet clipped to my pedals. I've tried, several times, but I keep coming back to the 'old-school' pedals - cage pedals with nothing to hold my feet to them.

Here's why: First of all, I've seen plenty of people fall because they couldn't get their feet unclipped, and it's happened to me. Maybe it's due to being klutzy, distracted - who knows? It happened to me once when I was turning left in front of oncoming traffic. My front wheel slipped in some gravel, I couldn't get my foot out to catch myself, and I fell in front of an oncoming truck. Luckily, I wasn't hurt and didn't get run over. So, even though this might be negligible to most people, to me it's something that makes me think that there better be a good reason for being clipped in - there had better be a measurable gain in efficiency, power, etc. or it's not worth the risk, however small.

My feeling is that the idea that you have more power with clipped pedals is a myth. Do people really pull up on their pedals? I don't think legs are designed for that. The added power seems negligible. I tried it and my legs were tired after a few seconds.

Do people like clips because they keep your foot on the pedal? Personally, I don't have a problem with my feet slipping off. Plus, I like the ability to slide my feet around a tiny bit. I think it helps prevent numbness.

Lastly, I know a lot of people who tour with extra shoes - bike shoes, normal shoes, (and maybe) sandals. In my quest to save weight, I've settled on bringing one pair of shoes only. A month before a tour I buy a new pair of really comfortable running shoes or cross trainers. They're all I bring. They're fine for riding, comfortable for walking or hiking. If they get wet, they get wet. When it stops raining they dry fairly quickly on my feet as I ride.

I know - most experienced cyclists would probably beg to differ with my opinions. All I can say is that I'm pretty experienced myself, I've given clipped pedals and cages a try more than once, I've tried to keep an open mind, and that's what I've decided for me.

My reasons for bringing this up are 1) I'm curious to hear people's reactions, and 2) I think newbies shouldn't feel that clips are obligatory.

Reactions? Comments?
Old 08-16-06, 12:14 PM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
I have never liked having my feet clipped to my pedals....

<SNIP>

Reactions? Comments?
If you don't like clipless, then don't use 'em.

I went clipless about 15 years ago. For the first week I hated them and thought I wasted my money, fell twice until I realized I have to unclip BEFORE I stop.

Now? I've never looked back at straps or platforms again. ALL my bikes have clipless (4) even my beater. I'll even bring a set of pedals and shoes when travelling if I know I will be renting a bike.

But not everyone likes them. Makes no never mind to me if you don't like them, do what feels good for you.

Digger

P.s. Just don't ride next to me, I don't want to be seen with someone who uses platforms.
Old 08-16-06, 12:20 PM
subigo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...My feeling is that the idea that you have more power with clipped pedals is a myth. Do people really pull up on their pedals? I don't think legs are designed for that. The added power seems negligible. I tried it and my legs were tired after a few seconds....

Reactions? Comments?
Yes I get more power. Yes I pull up. I have no problems clipping in and out. In fact, just yesterday some asshat tried to pass me on the right while crossing a bike bridge (with 2 feet to my right). He clipped my bag tire and I fell to the left. I unclipped as I was falling and caught myself and the bike. No problems.

But if you don't like them, don't use them. Simple.
Old 08-16-06, 12:58 PM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have never liked having my feet clipped to my pedals. I've tried, several times, but I keep coming back to the 'old-school' pedals - cage pedals with nothing to hold my feet to them.

Reactions? Comments?
I like plain grippy cage pedals too, nothing matches the spontaneity and convenience of being able to hop on a bike with any old shoes. Also I find that having a wide platform under my feet is MUCH more comfortable than having all the pressure transmitted through a tiny little cleat.

That being said... my favorite kind of platform pedals are the kind with clipless mechanisms A couple of weeks ago, I got the Nashbar Rodeo pedal and I absolutely *love* them. It's a cage pedal on both sides, but has an SPD clipless mechanism on one of the sides. I can ride with either my clipless shoes, or in plain shoes. If I want to go to the corner store, I can wear my sandals, if I want to go out to dinner, I can wear my nice black shoes, etc. Also, I got them on sale for only $10 (they're often discounted to $15, but $10 is rare).

Also, I think you really ARE more efficient when using clipless pedals. Since I now switch back and forth a lot, I can compare a lot! When I'm not clipped in, my feet slide around on the pedals unless I position them in a way that is less than totally efficient, with my heels further forward and not nearly as much of my weight put into each pedal stroke. The difference is especially big on uphill slopes I think, when it's hard to keep spinning my feet with flat pedals.

If you don't like clipless you can get basically the same benefit with toe clips and stiff shoes. I did that for a couple years and it worked great.

PS- A side benefit of clipless pedals is that thieves can't ride away on them
Old 08-16-06, 02:30 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like both. Big toothy alloy cages for the Trek830 and clipless for the Trek520 and Specialized Sequoia.
Old 08-16-06, 02:32 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like both. Big toothy alloy cages for the Trek830 and clipless for the Trek520 and Specialized Sequoia. Clipless is definitely more powerful and I do pull through. The reason I don't use them on the old 830 is because it has BioPace/OvalTech chainrings. Super powwerful on hills and almost no-load on straight and level.
Old 08-16-06, 03:08 PM
Caspar_s

Bikes: Giant Tcx1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How long is "tried several times" Sometimes you need to use it more to get used to it. From reading a couple of crash reports, they don't remember unclipping.

Also you said your legs got tired from pulling up - that's because you don't use them, and if you used them more often, they would not get tired and would be helping.

I know the feeling of falling when you're unable to remove your foot - from getting my shoelace wrapped around my pedal. Of course I didn't realise and tried to step down on that side and just slowly leaned over. The other side was free but I wasn't going that way.

Anyway, my pedals and sandals are on the way, so I'll update with my thoughts as I switch.
Old 08-16-06, 03:11 PM
n4zou
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don’t like clips either but I had to start using them with a Specialized Crossroads Hybrid bike with BioPace chain rings. For some strange reason I simply could not keep my shoes from slipping on the pedals and this included rattraps! I even removed my very good Summit pedals that never slipped on another bicycle and had the same problem with them on that bike. It was so bad I knew I would have severe problems if I ever tried standing on the pedals without clips on that bike!
Old 08-16-06, 11:31 PM
ink1373
nothing: lasts forever

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Do people really pull up on their pedals?
Yeah. When riding single/fixed, the ability to pull up on climbs is critical.

That said, when I did my long (800milesish) ride fixed, it was on platforms. Only walked once, on day one.
Old 08-17-06, 07:23 AM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been cycling clipless for 5 years. I used them for two tours and most of my recreational rides. However for my last 3 tours I left the cleats at home and cycle with a pair of running shoes that have a fairly stiff sole (my pedals have cleats on one side, platform on the other). I do this because 1) I don't need to carry street shoes; 2) I don't need to change into street shoes to go into museums, etc, along the way; 3) I have to push my loaded bike up some hills and it is easier with street shoes; and 4) I sometimes have problems with my Achilles tendon so I centre my foot on the pedal. I don't feel that I am losing much if any cycling efficiency with street shoes (though I do on the occasions when I centre my foot on the pedal). Perhaps some people learn to pull up with clips or clipless, but I haven't.

So why do I continue to use cleats for most of my recreational rides? Mostly because I think its cool. It surely avoids slipping on occasions when I put the power down. It may help me with the correct positioning of my feet, but I think I have been cycling so long that I naturally position the ball of my feet over the pedals.
Old 08-17-06, 08:03 AM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
....My feeling is that the idea that you have more power with clipped pedals is a myth. Do people really pull up on their pedals? I don't think legs are designed for that. The added power seems negligible. I tried it and my legs were tired after a few seconds.
If the toe straps are tensioned as they were designed to be used. there should be little if any difference in efficiency ,But in that scenario the clipless pedal is going to be more comfortable because your foot can move around (float) a bit, while the toe strap is going to resist any movement of the foot.

You don't pull up and push down on the pedals, You apply effort in a circle.

Last edited by Cyclist0094; 08-17-06 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-17-06, 09:13 AM
Shemp

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Gary Fisher Sugar2, Trek Madone 5.2SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. You tried the alternatives and know what you like, so use what you like!

Here's why: First of all, I've seen plenty of people fall because they couldn't get their feet unclipped, and it's happened to me. Maybe it's due to being klutzy, distracted - who knows? It happened to me once when I was turning left in front of oncoming traffic. My front wheel slipped in some gravel, I couldn't get my foot out to catch myself, and I fell in front of an oncoming truck. Luckily, I wasn't hurt and didn't get run over. So, even though this might be negligible to most people, to me it's something that makes me think that there better be a good reason for being clipped in - there had better be a measurable gain in efficiency, power, etc. or it's not worth the risk, however small.
In thousands of miles, I've been caught in my clipless pedals just a couple times, and that's been while stopped and twisted around looking at something with one foot still locked in and losing my balance. I keep my SPD's very loose, so getting out while riding has not once been a problem. At full speed, having that foot available after you've hit gravel may be inconsequential and a futile effort against fate.

My feeling is that the idea that you have more power with clipped pedals is a myth. Do people really pull up on their pedals? I don't think legs are designed for that. The added power seems negligible. I tried it and my legs were tired after a few seconds.
You certainly don't want to focus on pulling up to move the bicycle. What I do is concentrate on making even circles of power on my pedals. It's not all about pushing, but maintaining power all the way around. If you try clipless again, think about making circles rather than actually pulling up. Of course, if you're not used to using those muscles for that purpose, and you make a concerted effort to pull with them, you're going to wear out quickly, but if you focus on a smooth pedaling motion and cadence, you'll find there is more power there or at least a distribution of the work to lessen fatigue.

Do people like clips because they keep your foot on the pedal? Personally, I don't have a problem with my feet slipping off. Plus, I like the ability to slide my feet around a tiny bit. I think it helps prevent numbness.
I like them for making those circles I talked about. That, and when standing to climb, I get more pull, plus I don't have to worry about slippage when puttting a lot of power down on a steep grade.

Lastly, I know a lot of people who tour with extra shoes - bike shoes, normal shoes, (and maybe) sandals. In my quest to save weight, I've settled on bringing one pair of shoes only. A month before a tour I buy a new pair of really comfortable running shoes or cross trainers. They're all I bring. They're fine for riding, comfortable for walking or hiking. If they get wet, they get wet. When it stops raining they dry fairly quickly on my feet as I ride.
There are a number people who tour with just clipless sandals. I couldn't just tour with tennis shoes anyway because I always wear sandals into public showers, like those in campgrounds. I've also been known to rent a canoe on a day off on tour, and the sandals are handy then too. My bike shoes have seen a lot of walking, and I could care less if they get wet. My Specialized Rockhoppers (recessed cleat) have seen about everything and a few thousand miles of mountain and road biking and have held up through it all. So yes, I carry an extra pound in sandals, but that gives me a stiff sole for cycling and some walking, and a waterproof sandal for showers and streams

I know - most experienced cyclists would probably beg to differ with my opinions. All I can say is that I'm pretty experienced myself, I've given clipped pedals and cages a try more than once, I've tried to keep an open mind, and that's what I've decided for me.
If you've tried both and don't like clipless, there's no need to defend yourself. Do what works for you!

My reasons for bringing this up are 1) I'm curious to hear people's reactions, and 2) I think newbies shouldn't feel that clips are obligatory.
Obligatory, no. However, I don't think one should skip them based on someone else's word either. One should give them a fair chance to see how they can work. I have two family members that were slow to adopt clipless pedals, even after a few rides, but I think you'd have a hard time getting them to go back now.
Old 08-17-06, 09:50 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 377 Posts

Actually this has been studied, and nobody is putting out a lot of power pulling up on the pedal. However, 1) you're lessoning the weight that has to be lifted by the leg pushing down, and 2) the power that comes from being locked in comes from pulling back on the pedal at the bottom, and pushing over the top.

With a powertap, it is very easy to see the power gains from pedaling circles. When I'm doing steady state intervals and getting tired, and having trouble holding the specified wattage, I remind myself to concentrate on pulling back at the bottom and pushing over the top, and you can watch the wattage go back up.
Old 08-17-06, 09:53 AM
Jim in KC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The pedals I use depend on the type of riding I'm doing. For downtown traffic, I prefer platform pedals, because I may be stopping every block, and if necessary to clarify my right-of-way, getting off the bike to become a pedestrian, something best done without bicycle shoes. To get more power pedaling on platforms, I concentrate on lifting the wieght of the upstroke leg, instead of pushing up its weight with the downstroke leg.

Of course, for open road riding (I just noticed I'm in the Touring section) I strap in and plan to try clipless soon.

Last edited by Jim in KC; 08-17-06 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-18-06, 12:35 AM
bronskcloosper

Bikes: Fuji.... it's aight. And a Kona that I regret.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just use toe clips and still ride in just sandals. I only use them because I ride with the pedal in the middle of my footwithout anything and with the toe clips it makes me ride with the pedal on the ball of my foot (which is much better)
Old 08-18-06, 09:03 AM
bobbotron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by moxfyre
PS- A side benefit of clipless pedals is that thieves can't ride away on them
I used to think this, but I've road my bike with spd pedals with normal shoes. It's not as comfy, but definitely doable!
Old 08-18-06, 11:21 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 565 Posts
Yes I pull up on the pedals. I don't think of it that way though. As someone else said think circles. I have noticed that while climbing I pull up quite a bit especially on a fixed gear or a road bike that doesn't have a very low gearing, less so the rest of the time.

To me clipless pedals are definitely worthwhile. Not mandatory, but worth taking some time to get used to. I don't have them on my folding bike and really miss them when I ride it.

OTOH: If you don't like them use what you are comfortable with.

Pete